gearbox trouble

Old January 3rd 09, 03:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
[email protected]

Default gearbox trouble

hi all i have a 1997 p registered chrysler voyager 3.3le auto. Up
untill recently it was running fine untill last week i went to reverse
off the drive when put in gear it would not move it will still go in
all the gears as normal but not go !!!.Also it seems as though there
is a cooling issue it seems fine for about 20 mins or so then gets hot
and seems as if there is steam coming out of the coolant bottle.Any
advice would be great am i looking at a expensive repair bill ?,
thanks tim
Old January 3rd 09, 05:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

wrote:
> hi all i have a 1997 p registered chrysler voyager 3.3le auto. Up
> untill recently it was running fine untill last week i went to reverse
> off the drive when put in gear it would not move it will still go in
> all the gears as normal but not go !!!.Also it seems as though there
> is a cooling issue it seems fine for about 20 mins or so then gets hot
> and seems as if there is steam coming out of the coolant bottle.Any
> advice would be great am i looking at a expensive repair bill ?,
> thanks tim

Tim - I will start by asking the obvious: Is the transmission fluid up
to the proper level? (If not, then fill to proper level, see if that
fixes that problem, then look for leaks.)

For your overheating - could be several things: Is coolant bottle
cracked (not sure about that vehicle, but on some Chrysler vehicles, the
plastic reservoir is actually under coolant system pressure, and the
bottles sometimes crack)? Does pressure cap need replacing - they do go
bad and the system won't hold pressure and will loose coolant and
overheat. Are the engine cooling fans working properly (they also can
go bad)?

Other possibilities: bad thermostat, head gasket problem. There are
probably a host of other things I have forgotten to suggest checking -
maybe others can post those.

--
Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old January 6th 09, 04:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
KirkM

On Jan 3, 10:12*am, Bill Putney > wrote:
> wrote:
> > hi all i have a 1997 p registered chrysler voyager 3.3le auto. Up
> > untill recently it was running fine untill last week i went to reverse
> > off the drive when put in gear it would not move it will still go in
> > all the gears as normal but not go !!!.Also it seems as though there
> > is a cooling issue it seems fine for about 20 mins or so then gets hot
> > and seems as if there is steam coming out of the coolant bottle.Any
> > advice would be great am i looking at a expensive repair bill ?,
> > thanks tim

> Tim - I will start by asking the obvious: Is the transmission fluid up
> to the proper level? *(If not, then fill to proper level, see if that
> fixes that problem, then look for leaks.)
>
> For your overheating - could be several things: Is coolant bottle
> cracked (not sure about that vehicle, but on some Chrysler vehicles, the
> plastic reservoir is actually under coolant system pressure, and the
> bottles sometimes crack)? *Does pressure cap need replacing - they do go
> bad and the system won't hold pressure and will loose coolant and
> overheat. *Are the engine cooling fans working properly (they also can
> go bad)?
>
> Other possibilities: bad thermostat, head gasket problem. *There are
> probably a host of other things I have forgotten to suggest checking -
> maybe others can post those.
>
> --
> Bill Putney
> (To reply by e-mail, replace the last letter of the alphabet in my
> address with the letter 'x')

I agree with Bill checking the fluid first for the transmission. Has
the fluid and filter even been changed? If so, they should have used
the proper ATF+3 fluid, which has since been replaced with ATF+4.

If you continue to have problems, I would suggest taking it to a shop
that can scan the transmission for trouble codes. I
would hope that there are places in the UK that can do that.

These transmission had several problems in the early days, but most of
them were fixed by this time. More information about
the transmissions, and repairs is available at http://www.allpar.com.

-KM
Old January 10th 09, 11:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
[email protected]

On Jan 6, 4:30*am, KirkM > wrote:
> On Jan 3, 10:12*am, Bill Putney > wrote:
>

> > wrote:
> > > hi all i have a 1997 p registered chrysler voyager 3.3le auto. Up
> > > untill recently it was running fine untill last week i went to reverse
> > > off the drive when put in gear it would not move it will still go in
> > > all the gears as normal but not go !!!.Also it seems as though there
> > > is a cooling issue it seems fine for about 20 mins or so then gets hot
> > > and seems as if there is steam coming out of the coolant bottle.Any
> > > advice would be great am i looking at a expensive repair bill ?,
> > > thanks tim

> > Tim - I will start by asking the obvious: Is the transmission fluid up
> > to the proper level? *(If not, then fill to proper level, see if that
> > fixes that problem, then look for leaks.)

> > For your overheating - could be several things: Is coolant bottle
> > cracked (not sure about that vehicle, but on some Chrysler vehicles, the
> > plastic reservoir is actually under coolant system pressure, and the
> > bottles sometimes crack)? *Does pressure cap need replacing - they do go
> > bad and the system won't hold pressure and will loose coolant and
> > overheat. *Are the engine cooling fans working properly (they also can
> > go bad)?

> > Other possibilities: bad thermostat, head gasket problem. *There are
> > probably a host of other things I have forgotten to suggest checking -
> > maybe others can post those.

> > --
> > Bill Putney
> > (To reply by e-mail, replace the last letter of the alphabet in my
> > address with the letter 'x')

> I agree with Bill checking the fluid first for the transmission. Has
> the fluid and filter even been changed? If so, they should have used
> the proper ATF+3 fluid, which has since been replaced with ATF+4.
>
> If you continue to have problems, I would suggest taking it to a shop
> that can scan the transmission for trouble codes. I
> would hope that there are places in the UK that can do that.
>
> These transmission had several problems in the early days, but most of
> them were fixed by this time. More information about
> the transmissions, and repairs is available athttp://www.allpar.com.
>
> -KM- Hide quoted text -

ive just had the car looked at and it seems the gear box oil is
getting mixed up with the water from the radiator because the radiator
is busted is there a cheap radiator for this vehicle and are the
cooling fans seperate to the rad thanks tim

gearbox lee26 VW water cooled 2 September 17th 07 05:20 PM
AUDI A4 AUTOMATIC GEARBOX TROUBLE !! [email protected] Audi 3 October 26th 06 09:06 PM
Gearbox in trouble in Ireland OO Explorer Kieran O'Leary Ford Explorer 3 October 11th 05 11:25 PM
lookink for gearbox ratios for automatic gearbox bmw 528i 1998 RS BMW 1 October 11th 04 11:26 PM