92 Saturn SL 2 Gasoline Problem

Old February 5th 07, 01:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
[email protected]

Default 92 Saturn SL 2 Gasoline Problem

Hello All. Can anyone offer advice please? I have a 92 SL which I
have been pleased with overall. Car has approx 150K miles on it. It
used to idle really high and stall often. I replaced the Idle Control
Valve and teh Oxygen sensor and those seem to have helped. (Although
it still stalls from time to time - just not as often.) Overall seems
to be running better.

My biggest concern now is that everytime I drive the car, the exhaust
smells STRONGLY of gasoline. If I use the heater in the car, the
entire cab smells like gas (and I get to smell like gas all day too.)
The gas mileage has also dropped dramatically.

Has anyone experienced this? Any advice? Thanks!

Old February 5th 07, 07:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Private

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hello All. Can anyone offer advice please? I have a 92 SL which I
> have been pleased with overall. Car has approx 150K miles on it. It
> used to idle really high and stall often. I replaced the Idle Control
> Valve and teh Oxygen sensor and those seem to have helped. (Although
> it still stalls from time to time - just not as often.) Overall seems
> to be running better.
>
> My biggest concern now is that everytime I drive the car, the exhaust
> smells STRONGLY of gasoline. If I use the heater in the car, the
> entire cab smells like gas (and I get to smell like gas all day too.)
> The gas mileage has also dropped dramatically.
>
> Has anyone experienced this? Any advice? Thanks!

Smell of gas and poor gas mileage sounds like a fuel leak. This could be a
serious safety and property damage issue and I suggest you get assistance
without delay. Do not drive this car without complete inspection. There
should be no connection between engine performance and heater smell. Gas
smell from the exhaust is the smell of wasted money.

Good luck, YMMV

Old February 5th 07, 09:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
James1549

I had a bad gas smell in the car with the heater blower on. The
dealer replaced the "canister purge valve" which is on the engine near
the firewall. Gas vapors were venting from the valve and getting
sucked into the cowl where you get your outside air from.

James