Directional Tires and unstable handling (97 Accord 200K)

Old January 4th 07, 03:59 AM posted to rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech
Kevin McMurtrie

Default Directional Tires and unstable handling (97 Accord 200K)

In article .com>,
wrote:

> I have a Honda Accord with 200K miles.
> Over the past year, I have had two different brands/sets of directional
> tires (Yokohama Avids & now Michelin Exalto A/S tires). I keep
> experiencing erratic handling, mostly noticable on the freeway. Road
> texture, especially grooved pavement seems to trip up the car's
> handling, causing erratic lateral movement as if the car riding on
> rails. In the past year, 3 mechanics checked out my steering and
> suspension system and found nothing wrong. My alignment has been
> checked many times over the year and is fine. I did have new Monroe
> Sensatrac strutts installed before these sets of tires. This was my
> second set of Sensatracs, where the previous set were fine. I have the
> stock alloy rims. Not sure if old age or corrosion on wheels could
> cause this problem. I did hear from one mechanic that directional tires
> are more prone to these type of handling problems. I wonder if anyone
> else has experienced these type of handling issues. Thanks

Rather than having your alignment adjusted to spec, have it adjusted for
your desired handling. A good mechanic can maybe do it. Your average
tire store is lucky if they hook up the alignment testing machinery
correctly.
Old January 4th 07, 05:13 AM posted to rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech
Ashton Crusher

On 2 Jan 2007 23:04:19 -0800, wrote:

>I have a Honda Accord with 200K miles.
>Over the past year, I have had two different brands/sets of directional
>tires (Yokohama Avids & now Michelin Exalto A/S tires). I keep
>experiencing erratic handling, mostly noticable on the freeway. Road
>texture, especially grooved pavement seems to trip up the car's
>handling, causing erratic lateral movement as if the car riding on
>rails. In the past year, 3 mechanics checked out my steering and
>suspension system and found nothing wrong. My alignment has been
>checked many times over the year and is fine. I did have new Monroe
>Sensatrac strutts installed before these sets of tires. This was my
>second set of Sensatracs, where the previous set were fine. I have the
>stock alloy rims. Not sure if old age or corrosion on wheels could
>cause this problem. I did hear from one mechanic that directional tires
>are more prone to these type of handling problems. I wonder if anyone
>else has experienced these type of handling issues. Thanks

It might be related to the directional tires. My 99 Mustang GT came
with directional Goodyear gatorbacks and those were replaced with
directional Yokohama's and both tracked something fierce. Sometimes
even slightly rutted roads would jerk the car from side to side. I
recently replaced the yoko's with asymmetrical tread Kuhmo all season
tires. The difference is night and day, the handling is about the
same but gone is the terrible tracking plus they are quieter then
either of the other tires were.
Old January 5th 07, 01:33 AM posted to rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech
Big Al

I had them same issue with an older GM, After changing several front end
parts that were just marginally worn and an alignment, the car still
followed ruts and pulled to one side or the other when braking. When I put
my cheap snow tires back on all four corners the problem went away.
Champagne tires on a beer car, go figure.

ups.com...

Old January 17th 07, 02:59 AM posted to rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech
slim

On 2007-01-03 11:24:41 -0500, said:

wrote:
>> I have a Honda Accord with 200K miles.
>> Over the past year, I have had two different brands/sets of directional
>> tires (Yokohama Avids & now Michelin Exalto A/S tires). I keep
>> experiencing erratic handling, mostly noticable on the freeway. Road
>> texture, especially grooved pavement seems to trip up the car's
>> handling, causing erratic lateral movement as if the car riding on
>> rails. In the past year, 3 mechanics checked out my steering and
>> suspension system and found nothing wrong. My alignment has been
>> checked many times over the year and is fine. I did have new Monroe
>> Sensatrac strutts installed before these sets of tires. This was my
>> second set of Sensatracs, where the previous set were fine. I have the
>> stock alloy rims. Not sure if old age or corrosion on wheels could
>> cause this problem. I did hear from one mechanic that directional tires
>> are more prone to these type of handling problems. I wonder if anyone
>> else has experienced these type of handling issues. Thanks

> Dear techman41: Stop spending your hard earned money on an old car
> with 200,000 mi. on it. Unless you are really attached. Then replace
> the entire steering mechnism. Then buy exotic parts for it.

What are you driving?

My 10 year old Honda Civic runs great. Can do 80+ all day or take the
kids to school on a ten minute drive. I am keeping it as long as
possible given that I have a $1,500 a year budget for parts. I have a
new front drive axles, new Pirelli 400's all around, and relaced the
water pump/timing chain, catalytic converter last year. Only 77K.

What the hell do I need car payments for??????

--
- Slim