Need good clutch for '94 4Runner V6

Old January 5th 05, 08:43 PM
Matt Lang

Default Need good clutch for '94 4Runner V6

Guys,

my current aftermarket clutch has about 150000 km on it and is getting
week. I am looking for a replacement but cant make up my mind.

Since it is a pain in the ass to install the clutch I rather get a
kick ass clutch and pay a little more for it rahter then breaking down
in the bush or doing it again next year.

The truck only goes off road, has the 3l V6 and 32" Mudders. I use it
for casual offroading to get where i need to get and it pulls a boat
and ATV.

I dont really need a clutch like a centerforce which is good to let go
off the clutch pedal at peak rpm

I want a clutch that:

- grips better than stock
- lasts loooooooooooooooooong

I was thinking about Downey but their clutch info is a little
confusing and since thay dont have a homepage (hello ... its 2005)
hard to get info. Also hear Downey clutches kill bearings in the
tranny.

A long time ago I saw a TRD clutch which is bigger than stick, but no
dealer has heard about that ...

What are my options?

Matt
Old January 7th 05, 01:46 AM
Mad Dog

Sorry to hear you don't like Centerforce, they make the best clutch assy for
your truck.

--
Mad-Dog
'79 Chevy K-10
om...

Old January 7th 05, 04:46 AM

its not that i dont like them but I think its not what I need. The way
i understand centerforce is that they have a lot of holding power for
burn outs but other than that arent special
will a centerforce last longer than stock clutch?

Matt

Old January 13th 05, 08:19 PM

anybody else?

Old January 13th 05, 11:40 PM
Mike Romain

I got the Canadian tire one with all the small fingers for my Jeep CJ7
with 33" muds on it and found it insanely hard to push the pedal down
with my mechanical linkage.

My tranny nose piece had a ding in it so the throw out bearing ate the
fingers off the pressure plate in a year and a bit. I did a lot of
trail and mud running over that year and when a friend asked how hard I
was on the disk while I had it apart, I passed it to him to see.

He started laughing like mad so I looked and the printed label was still
on both sides of the clutch faces! Man that was wild, I was impressed.

Going on 5 years now with an older Borg Warner spring pressure plate and
the same CT disk and still hasn't even needed adjusting and I wheel a
lot and use it as a daily driver.

Mike
86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Land Rover Series 3 Clutch bc 4x4 0 August 13th 04 03:36 PM
Good Good Deals! Brendan Carpenter Dodge 0 April 20th 04 04:05 AM
90 4runner clutch & master/slave cylinders hello 4x4 0 January 7th 04 03:22 AM