1995 SL1 auto transmission

Old July 11th 05, 10:26 AM
Patrick Melberg

Default 1995 SL1 auto transmission

Just recently in hot weather and stop-and-go traffic my '95s transmission
with 137,000 miles started to skip 3rd gear. It would rev high in second
and then finally shift into fourth like nothing was the matter. I stopped
for a while (to cool it off) and then it shifted properly. Soon after I got
up to 55mph again it slipped out of fourth gear and I was pulling about
6500rpm. I quickly pulled over and kept my speed below 30 (good for second
gear under the circumstances I thought). When I couldn't avoid the highway
anymore (after a couple miles of 25-30mph) I entered the highway (55mph)
and it shifted like nothing was wrong.

I know that the car doesn't shift into fourth gear during the winter until a
proper temperature is reached, thus being in third gear for extended periods
of time here in MN. I was wondering if this could have a wearing effect on
"third gear"? Most of my driving is at night out of heavy traffic (65mph)
and this has not happened then. When I do drive during the heat and heavy
traffic though is when I am concerned something serious could happen.

I have also experienced the "reverse slam".

Any insights will be greatly appreciated because I know a new transmission
will probably cost more than the car lists for.

Thanks in advance,

Pat

Old July 11th 05, 12:58 PM
Bob Shuman

Sounds like the transmission valve body is clogged (reverse slam) and you
may also have a failing valve solenoid (3rd gear) as well. Check the Saturn
Forum web page and search for "reverse slam" to find Wolfman's proposed
cure. It is cheap and easy and certainly worth trying before you pay for
any expensive transmission work. Web site:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/arc...p/t-23670.html

Regarding the valve solenoids, you may need to wait for this to fail
completely to be able to diagnose it accurately. The new fluid and filter
from the reverse slam cure process may solve your problem though...

By the way, the reverse slam is indication that you do not do routine
maintenance on the transmission. If you change the fluid and filter often,
you can usually avoid this problem.

Bob

"Patrick Melberg" > wrote in message
> Just recently in hot weather and stop-and-go traffic my '95s transmission
> with 137,000 miles started to skip 3rd gear. It would rev high in second
> and then finally shift into fourth like nothing was the matter. I stopped
> for a while (to cool it off) and then it shifted properly. Soon after I

got
> up to 55mph again it slipped out of fourth gear and I was pulling about
> 6500rpm. I quickly pulled over and kept my speed below 30 (good for

second
> gear under the circumstances I thought). When I couldn't avoid the

highway
> anymore (after a couple miles of 25-30mph) I entered the highway (55mph)
> and it shifted like nothing was wrong.
>
> I know that the car doesn't shift into fourth gear during the winter until

> proper temperature is reached, thus being in third gear for extended

periods
> of time here in MN. I was wondering if this could have a wearing effect

on
> "third gear"? Most of my driving is at night out of heavy traffic (65mph)
> and this has not happened then. When I do drive during the heat and heavy
> traffic though is when I am concerned something serious could happen.
>
> I have also experienced the "reverse slam".
>
> Any insights will be greatly appreciated because I know a new transmission
> will probably cost more than the car lists for.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Pat

cherokee auto, towing and transmission coolers Danny Jeep 13 March 10th 05 06:51 PM
1995 BMW 318i 4d AUTO Jay BMW 0 February 25th 05 08:57 AM
E28 auto transmission problem... 528e Uncle Lucky BMW 2 November 22nd 04 10:43 AM
1987 Ford Ranger 2.9 4X4 auto w/overdrive transmission change/swap Reg 4x4 0 July 1st 04 02:43 AM