92 Golf heater core (A/C) leak

Old March 26th 05, 07:19 AM
Rob Wilson

Default 92 Golf heater core (A/C) leak

I suspect I have a coolant leak in the heater core of my 92 Golf GL
(California). I *know* I have a coolant leak, when I rub my fingers on
the carpet near the floor vent they come out smelling like coolant and
my windshield is constantly fogged, which are all symptoms of a heater
core leak. I also tend to get black smoke coming out of the air vents.
I have a couple of questions I'd appreciate if anyone could help me with:

1) There are a couple of earlier posts about replacing the heater core
on a Passat. Sounds pretty bad. But is there anything technically
difficult about it (this might relate to my next question too)? Can I
do it with basic tools and a manual? Seems like it would be an
expensive thing to get fixed at a shop if it takes so long.

2) I'm looking at the Bentley manual and it tells me that the A/C has to
be discharged to replace the heater core which requires special
procedures that should be performed by a qualified shop. Well, my A/C
doesn't work anyway so I think it's probably already discharged, if I
check the sight glass and it looks discharged can I pretty safely change
the heater core myself? How can I safely try to discharge the A/C just
in case it's not completely empty?

3) Is it more likely that there's some internal leak in the heater core
itself or a leak in a seal at the connection point? The manual says to
install a new soft seal where the heater core hose connects pass through
the body, is that the only potential seal leak? Anyone have a part
number or something equivalent for the soft seal for the hoses?

Thanks in advance,
Rob W.
Old March 26th 05, 04:04 PM
One out of many daves

A lot of people pursue having the dealer replace them free. Some years were
recalled, and others weren't. I have heard of persistant owners getting any
year Golf, Jetta or Passat done under the recall.

Yes you can do it with basic tools and a GOOD manual if the a/c is
discharged!
Take pictures of how things come apart, organize/sort screws and parts, and
be patient/careful!
Clean up all of the coolant in the heater box and check the condition of any
foam. I have heard about and actually seen foam flying out through the
vents on the passengers. :-(
Plan on 2 days to complete, but hope it takes less time. lol

JMHO
later,
dave
(One out of many daves)

Old March 26th 05, 05:20 PM
Woodchuck

Don't think the 92's were part of the VW recall called "SD", but you could
call VW and see if they will pick up the repair. As for doing the core
replacement it can be done in 2 hours or less for tech like myself. You
don't need to remove the AC box or discharge the Freon. If your going to do
it yourself I may have the procedure here in PDF format so e-mail me.

Old March 26th 05, 09:58 PM
Rob Wilson

That would be *great* if you could send me the procedure Woodchuck.
Glad to hear I don't need to worry about the A/C - that was my biggest
concern.

What's the story with the foam? I've had foam coming out of the vents
for a couple of years!

Regards,
Rob.

Old March 26th 05, 10:03 PM
Robert Wilson

That would be *great* if you could send me the procedure Woodchuck.
Glad to hear I don't need to worry about the A/C - that was my biggest
concern.

What's the story with the foam? I've had foam coming out of the vents
for a couple of years!

And one more thing - what's the latest model car I can get a used heater
core out of that will fit my 92 Golf?

Regards,
Rob.

Old March 27th 05, 05:02 AM
Bernd Felsche

Robert Wilson > writes:

[about heater DIY heater core exchange]

>That would be *great* if you could send me the procedure Woodchuck.
>Glad to hear I don't need to worry about the A/C - that was my biggest
>concern.

>What's the story with the foam? I've had foam coming out of the vents
>for a couple of years!

>And one more thing - what's the latest model car I can get a used heater
>core out of that will fit my 92 Golf?

Don't bother with a used core. It may be leaky already. Mk4 Golfs
have the "same" heat exchanger. Don't know about the current model.

The replacement instructions (PDF) has part numbers that have
been superseded. A spare parts jockey should be able to
cross-reference.

I'm looking forward to skinning my knuckles in a little while... not
yet cold enough to require a heater, though the A/C output is *very*
cold at times!
\ / ASCII ribbon campaign | I'm a .signature virus!
X against HTML mail | Copy me into your ~/.signature
/ \ and postings | to help me spread!