2001 Jetta 5th gear ratio

Old February 19th 05, 02:36 PM
Kevin L

Default 2001 Jetta 5th gear ratio

I'm looking into changing the 5th gear ratio on my 2001 Jetta. The
object is to slow the engine down at highway speeds as I think it revs
way to high at 65-70 mph. What is available? Has anyone done this?
Thanks

Old February 19th 05, 03:27 PM
Woodchuck

What are the current revs?

ps.com...

Old February 19th 05, 03:54 PM
Kevin L

I can't recall as my daughter drives it more than I do, she will be
around this weekend and I will drive and record mph/rpms and get back
with you. I did take a look on etka and there looks like there are 3
differnent ratios available. A 36/43, 34/45 and a 27/32 gear set

Old February 21st 05, 01:49 PM
Kevin L

A sixth gear might be a viable option. Do you have any url's to point
me to more information?

Old February 21st 05, 10:11 PM
Kevin L

about 3100rpm @ 65mph

Old February 22nd 05, 10:24 PM
Woodchuck

That's loafing for a VW engine.

oups.com...

Old February 25th 05, 03:52 PM

Kevin L wrote:
> about 3100rpm @ 65mph

That's not really too high.

Which engine do you have? Which transmission?

--
Racer X

1984 VW Jetta Diesel GT
1992 Mazda Miata (looks OK considering it's been hit by an 18 wheeler)
1994 Caravan (OK, maybe it's a keeper, but I still want a VW Caddy)
1995 Ford Escort (may it rest in pieces)
1983 VW Rabbit GTI (ITB racer)
1988 Mazda RX-7 (maybe for sale, make offer)
1992 GMC Topkick (portable garage for racecar[s])

Old March 1st 05, 01:23 PM
Kevin L

2.0L

Not sure about trans code, car isn't here