Rough idle 1991 accord... Wierd.

Old January 15th 07, 08:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
the_lower_class_brat

Default Rough idle 1991 accord... Wierd.

I recently bought a 1991 Honda Accord LX for 500 hundred (first car).
Anyways the car has a rough idle after it has been runing for 5-10
minutes. It goes from 1500 rpm to as low as 100-300 and almost stalls.
This only happends when I use any powered device in the car, such as
brakes, air, lights, radio, and so and so. I was thinkin' the plugs
needed to be changed? Maybe the alternator? Maybe the battery is trash?
I also have the engine check light on, but I'm 98% sure it's just an o2
censor. Should I reset the computer?

Old January 15th 07, 09:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Joe LaVigne

On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 12:37:11 -0800, the_lower_class_brat wrote:

> I recently bought a 1991 Honda Accord LX for 500 hundred (first car).
> Anyways the car has a rough idle after it has been runing for 5-10
> minutes. It goes from 1500 rpm to as low as 100-300 and almost stalls.
> This only happends when I use any powered device in the car, such as
> brakes, air, lights, radio, and so and so. I was thinkin' the plugs
> needed to be changed? Maybe the alternator? Maybe the battery is trash?
> I also have the engine check light on, but I'm 98% sure it's just an o2
> censor. Should I reset the computer?

Check the code on the light first. It could very well be the cause of
your idle issues. Once you fix whatever is causing the light, tune-up
couldn't hurt. As for the alternator, check the voltages to see if it is
working right.
Old January 15th 07, 09:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Elle

You bought it used, presumably without a maintenance
history. Spend the few hundred bucks, tops, to do everything
at
http://home.earthlink.net/~honda.lioness/id11.html, using
again only OEM parts for the ignition system.

oups.com...

Old January 16th 07, 02:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

the_lower_class_brat wrote:
> I recently bought a 1991 Honda Accord LX for 500 hundred (first car).
> Anyways the car has a rough idle after it has been runing for 5-10
> minutes. It goes from 1500 rpm to as low as 100-300 and almost stalls.
> This only happends when I use any powered device in the car, such as
> brakes, air, lights, radio, and so and so. I was thinkin' the plugs
> needed to be changed? Maybe the alternator? Maybe the battery is trash?
> I also have the engine check light on, but I'm 98% sure it's just an o2
> censor. Should I reset the computer?

make sure the coolant level is correct - inside the radiator, not just
the expansion bottle.
Old January 17th 07, 01:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
the_lower_class_brat

The idol goes up and down like bogging from 1000-100, its rather wierd,
The thing has 350 000 km on it, which is rather young considering Ive
heard of people putting that many miles on it easily. But If I put the
air on or anything it will stay steady at around 800, if not the rpms
are all over the place and dont stop boggin up and down.