just bought my (and my daughter's) first bug, a 72 Super Beetle!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 22nd 06, 07:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Barnhart Pinball[_1_]

Default just bought my (and my daughter's) first bug, a 72 Super Beetle!

Picked the little dude up today. Mechanically tight (new engine, trans
mounts, tons of new parts) and runs great. Handles like a go-kart. I got
lucky with this one as it has what looks to be the original paint, no
rust (well, except for one or 2 small places on the driver door and a
couple where it got scratched) and a perfect underpan. It's a color code
21E (looking though the net) "blood orange", and was equipped with
factory air conditioning. Someone removed the part under the dash and the
compressor is gone. All the lines and condensor/fan are still present.
Wheels and hubcaps are striaght and present.

The bad? It needs some TLC. It needs some brake work (bad master cylinder
or leak somewhere - ask me how I found out driving it home), a new
headliner, putting the fresh air box back (removed to put a tach and oil
temp/pressure gauges + new fuel sender). It needs the right front fender
either replaced or fixed - the headlight bucket is pushed back. The rear
defrost is broken (clips are snapped off). I have what appears to be a
bad fuel line (gas smell in trunk, looks like vent hose may be bad). Plus
the headlights and running lights work off a toggle switch. Not cool.

Is the welting(? - the parts between the fenders) supposed to be black or
body color? I know the rear engine cover was replaced as it's white
underneath (you'd think they would at least paint that too).

It'll be restored and driven over the next 4 years until my daughter is
old enough to drive - plus she is going to help restore it. It's what she
wanted (an orange Bug) and I couldn't pass up on a deal - especially for
a great running, solid car.