4x4 Camper Van

Old December 14th 04, 11:37 PM
Tyler Durden

Default 4x4 Camper Van

I get out of the Army in a year and my wife and I plan to do nothing
more than travel around the country visiting friends and blowing some
savings. I've been kinda caged up in a uniform for 8 years, and it's
time to decompress and get a little perspective. I envision the camper
we travel in as representing the key that unlocks that cage. So this is
important! See?

That being said, I'm looking for something that can handle snow really
well as we will ultimately end up landing in Alaska. I started this
search because I was so enamored with the old VW Westphalia Syncro (an
AWD VW camper van). But it occured to me that a 1992 (the last year
they made them) model anything is too old. So my quest has led me to
find the 4x4 Sportsmobile (www.sportsmobile.com) conversion vans and
the GTRV folks in British Columbia (www.gtrv.com). They both seem to
build some fantastic products, although they are a little pricey
compared to the old Westies. Any opinions on these?

My real concern that I can't kick is gas milage. I'm trying desperately
to have my cake and eat it too. I want an AWD or 4x4 full camper
(meaning at a minimum stove, water, fridge, sleeps 4) that will do at
least 20 mpg. If all the stars aligned, someone out there knows how to
make this happen. And yes, I realize this may spark the diesel debate -
but I'd go diesel if it was designed for fuel efficiency as a first
consideration instead of tourque (european style).
What would you look at buying if you were me?

Old December 15th 04, 12:20 AM
Erik Litchy

whats wrong with a trailer camper?
Old December 15th 04, 12:27 AM
Matt Mead

On 14 Dec 2004 14:37:58 -0800, "Tyler Durden"
> wrote:

>I get out of the Army in a year and my wife and I plan to do nothing
>more than travel around the country visiting friends and blowing some
>savings. I've been kinda caged up in a uniform for 8 years, and it's
>time to decompress and get a little perspective. I envision the camper
>we travel in as representing the key that unlocks that cage. So this is
>important! See?
>
>That being said, I'm looking for something that can handle snow really
>well as we will ultimately end up landing in Alaska. I started this
>search because I was so enamored with the old VW Westphalia Syncro (an
>AWD VW camper van). But it occured to me that a 1992 (the last year
>they made them) model anything is too old. So my quest has led me to
>find the 4x4 Sportsmobile (www.sportsmobile.com) conversion vans and
>the GTRV folks in British Columbia (www.gtrv.com). They both seem to
>build some fantastic products, although they are a little pricey
>compared to the old Westies. Any opinions on these?
>
>My real concern that I can't kick is gas milage. I'm trying desperately
>to have my cake and eat it too. I want an AWD or 4x4 full camper
>(meaning at a minimum stove, water, fridge, sleeps 4) that will do at
>least 20 mpg. If all the stars aligned, someone out there knows how to
>make this happen. And yes, I realize this may spark the diesel debate -
>but I'd go diesel if it was designed for fuel efficiency as a first
>consideration instead of tourque (european style).
>What would you look at buying if you were me?

I own and swear by the GM Astro/Safari vans for their AWD. Awesome on
snowy/icy roads and do OK off-road, as long as you realize just how
limited the ground clearance is. Gas mileage is respectable at just
over 20 mpg on the highway. If you wanted to build your own camper
van, you can find AWD Astro/Safari vans from $1,500 for well used up
to $30,000+ for brand new.

Over the years there have been several companies building small
motorhomes based on these vans. Some full blown class C's as well as
smaller versions with pop tops. Currently, this company makes what
appears to be a nice van motorhome:

http://www.tigermotorhomes.com/tiger-xl/index.htm

If you wanted more off-roadability from these vans, check out:

www.overlandvans.com

They offer lift kits that will allow 31" tires to be installed.

The drivetrain on these vans are common pieces and you can also do
some mixing and matching from other GM offerings to add true 2-speed
transfer cases and/or a front axle with a disconnect.

Just another option for your consideration. (For more info on
Astro/Safari vans, check out the message forums at
www.astrosafari.com.)

Matt
99 V-10 Super Duty, Super Cab 4x4
96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion

Old December 15th 04, 12:32 AM
Eric Smith

"Tyler Durden" > writes:
> What would you look at buying if you were me?

Soap.
Old December 15th 04, 12:50 AM
Erik-Jan Geniets

Tyler Durden wrote:
I started this
> search because I was so enamored with the old VW Westphalia Syncro (an
> AWD VW camper van). But it occured to me that a 1992 (the last year
> they made them) model anything is too old.

As far as I know (in Europe) they were built till 1998.
But anyway with a 1992 built VW you will get anywhere.
They are very reliable. a '92 is as good as new.
Good luck,
Erik-Jan.

--

http://www.fotograaf.com/trooper
Old December 15th 04, 03:10 AM
Tyler Durden

There's something nice about being able to roam from cockpit to cabin
on the go. Also, we plan on travelling with up to four folks. This
would be a "King Cab" 4x4 at least, and I don't think I'm going to do
better than 20 mpg after I put a camper on it. Does that sound right?
Thanks for the response!

Old December 15th 04, 03:11 AM
Tyler Durden

Matt,

Great tip on the Safari. That's a neat little package! 21 mpg AWD full
camper - exactly what I asked for! Do you know anywhere to find a lot
of used listings? Thanks again.

Old December 15th 04, 05:47 AM
Matt Mead

On 14 Dec 2004 18:35:38 -0800, "Tyler Durden"
> wrote:

>Matt,
>
>Great tip on the Safari. That's a neat little package! 21 mpg AWD full
>camper - exactly what I asked for! Do you know anywhere to find a lot
>of used listings? Thanks again.

Check around your area for an "RV Trader" magazine or similar. We
have one here that covers WA,OR, ID and AK and I've seen some older
model Astro/Safari RVs in it. Some were AWD versions. These
publicatins are weekly, so there is always something new showing up.
(Note, the only difference between a 2wd and AWD Astro/Safari is the
front subframe and a T-case. What this means is that a person can
easily swap in an AWD subframe if they found the perfect 2wd
Astro/Safari RV. As I mentioned, old AWD Astro/Safari vans are
plentiful and cheap.)

Old December 16th 04, 04:24 AM
Warren Weber

"Tyler Durden" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I get out of the Army in a year and my wife and I plan to do nothing
> more than travel around the country visiting friends and blowing some
> savings. I've been kinda caged up in a uniform for 8 years, and it's
> time to decompress and get a little perspective. I envision the camper
> we travel in as representing the key that unlocks that cage. So this is
> important! See?
>
> That being said, I'm looking for something that can handle snow really
> well as we will ultimately end up landing in Alaska. I started this
> search because I was so enamored with the old VW Westphalia Syncro (an
> AWD VW camper van). But it occured to me that a 1992 (the last year
> they made them) model anything is too old. So my quest has led me to
> find the 4x4 Sportsmobile (www.sportsmobile.com) conversion vans and
> the GTRV folks in British Columbia (www.gtrv.com). They both seem to
> build some fantastic products, although they are a little pricey
> compared to the old Westies. Any opinions on these?
>
> My real concern that I can't kick is gas milage. I'm trying desperately
> to have my cake and eat it too. I want an AWD or 4x4 full camper
> (meaning at a minimum stove, water, fridge, sleeps 4) that will do at
> least 20 mpg. If all the stars aligned, someone out there knows how to
> make this happen. And yes, I realize this may spark the diesel debate -
> but I'd go diesel if it was designed for fuel efficiency as a first
> consideration instead of tourque (european style).
> What would you look at buying if you were me?

I have a 92 E250 pop top Sportsmobile extended body style. It is great. But
wish it was 4 wheel as we like the "back country" Sportsmobile people
(Texas) built it for us. Wonderful people to deal with. Built to our custom
wants. They do have a 4 wheel model now but don't know if diesel is
available. Give them a call. We picked Ford over Dodge due to the Ford
having a frame set up, not unibody. Unibody had much more road noise. W W

Camper shell hoist Swissguy 4x4 1 November 2nd 04 04:44 PM
Uphill with a camper....:)) Willem-Jan Markerink 4x4 6 August 23rd 04 08:18 PM
Has anyone pulled a camper with Grand Caravan Sport or GC Dodge 10 August 11th 04 01:33 PM