The Last Really Good Chrysler Product

Old October 26th 04, 04:27 AM
Ted Azito

Blowing raw fuel out after cold start is the symptom for glow plugs
not working or not used on prechamber engines. No mystery why they
wouldn't start.

That said the NA 3.3 was too small for the fullsize truck-unless you
never need to go over 50 mph as was the case for some in-town
vocational trucks. Many medium duty straight trucks were sold with
four cylinder Cumminses and three or four cylinder Detroits which
wouldn't do 55 mph with a van body up through the late sixties or
early seventies. Many bread vans with gas engines wouldn't either. Had
they used the turbo engine performance would have bettered the /6
which admittedly isn't saying much...

Properly used these are remarkable powerplants, but they are 200
CID...not 400.
Old October 26th 04, 04:41 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004, Ted Azito wrote:

> Blowing raw fuel out after cold start is the symptom for glow plugs not
> working or not used on prechamber engines. No mystery why they wouldn't
> start.

Mm. So, three different sources telling the same fib due to malfunctioning
glow plugs on three different engines, eh? Obviously, because otherwise it
would mean the engines were garbage, and since Ted Azito says they are the
very paragon of automotive powerplant engineering, that couldn't
*possibly* be so. Ignore the utter market failure of the engine; that's
just a conspiracy to make Ted Azito look like he doesn't know what the
hell he's talking about.

> Properly used these are remarkable powerplants

....blah blah blah...
Old October 26th 04, 04:41 PM
Daniel J. Stern

Old October 26th 04, 05:56 PM
Steve

Ted Azito wrote:

> Blowing raw fuel out after cold start is the symptom for glow plugs
> not working or not used on prechamber engines. No mystery why they
> wouldn't start.

Except for the fact that this article was written in 1978 and it was a
BRAND NEW TRUCK!

> Properly used these are remarkable powerplants, but they are 200
> CID...not 400.

Remarkably crappy, that is. The Cummins B5.9 is only 360 CID, and works
just great in vehicles more than 4x the weight of a D-100, so the fact
that its "only" 200 CID is no excuse.

Old October 26th 04, 05:56 PM
Steve

Old October 26th 04, 11:11 PM
Matt Whiting

Ted Azito wrote:

> Blowing raw fuel out after cold start is the symptom for glow plugs
> not working or not used on prechamber engines. No mystery why they
> wouldn't start.

You shouldn't need the glow plugs to ignite the fuel for very long after
engine start. It is also a symptom of a very poorly calibrated fuel
injection pump or improperly sized injectors.

Matt

Old October 26th 04, 11:11 PM
Matt Whiting

Old October 27th 04, 03:19 AM
Art

Funny Bill, but in reality Bush has had only one successful policy in his
first (and most likely last term). It was the "Do Not Call" list. I
suspect he will go down in history as the Do Not Call President.

Old October 27th 04, 03:19 AM
Art

Old October 28th 04, 01:47 AM
aaa