wobbling in steering...

Old July 31st 06, 01:06 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

Default wobbling in steering...

I was driving home from work last night and there was a feeling that
something might be a little loose - nothing too serious, until I was
almost home.
Going about 30-35 mph there was a definitey wobble in the steering -
the wheel went left and right in quite a pronounced fashion.. any
ideas?

Old July 31st 06, 01:45 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Kevin

> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I was driving home from work last night and there was a feeling that
> something might be a little loose - nothing too serious, until I was
> almost home.
> Going about 30-35 mph there was a definitey wobble in the steering -
> the wheel went left and right in quite a pronounced fashion.. any
> ideas?

Perhaps a tire problem. Something like one that is going flat or is real low
on air pressure. Maybe even a tire with a broken belt (they can make quite a
wobble in the steering). You should also make sure all the wheel lugs are on
tight. Of course, there are many other possible causes for the symptom you
described, but this will give you a logical starting point. Check the tires,
maybe even rotate them and let us know what you find.

--
Disclaimer:
Due to the nature of solving problems over the internet being mostly

--
Kevin Mouton
Automotive Technology Instructor

Old July 31st 06, 01:03 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Al Bundy

Kevin wrote:
> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >I was driving home from work last night and there was a feeling that
> > something might be a little loose - nothing too serious, until I was
> > almost home.
> > Going about 30-35 mph there was a definitey wobble in the steering -
> > the wheel went left and right in quite a pronounced fashion.. any
> > ideas?
> >

> Perhaps a tire problem. Something like one that is going flat or is real low
> on air pressure. Maybe even a tire with a broken belt (they can make quite a
> wobble in the steering). You should also make sure all the wheel lugs are on
> tight. Of course, there are many other possible causes for the symptom you
> described, but this will give you a logical starting point. Check the tires,
> maybe even rotate them and let us know what you find.
>
> --
> Disclaimer:
> Due to the nature of solving problems over the internet being mostly
> guesswork,
> please do not consider the above recommendations as the only possible
> solutions.

I agree with the disclaimer. A steering problem that developed suddenly
should be looked at by a professional if you are not qualified. You
could have a steering link or idler arm coming loose. It probably is a
tire, but you can't take that chance. A tire bad enough to cause that
wobble could be observed as the car was driven slowly and watched from
a slight distance.

Old July 31st 06, 02:50 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
ray

Al Bundy wrote:
> Kevin wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>>> I was driving home from work last night and there was a feeling that
>>> something might be a little loose - nothing too serious, until I was
>>> almost home.
>>> Going about 30-35 mph there was a definitey wobble in the steering -
>>> the wheel went left and right in quite a pronounced fashion.. any
>>> ideas?
>>>

>> Perhaps a tire problem. Something like one that is going flat or is real low
>> on air pressure. Maybe even a tire with a broken belt (they can make quite a
>> wobble in the steering). You should also make sure all the wheel lugs are on
>> tight. Of course, there are many other possible causes for the symptom you
>> described, but this will give you a logical starting point. Check the tires,
>> maybe even rotate them and let us know what you find.
>>
>> --
>> Disclaimer:
>> Due to the nature of solving problems over the internet being mostly
>> guesswork,
>> please do not consider the above recommendations as the only possible
>> solutions.
>>

> I agree with the disclaimer. A steering problem that developed suddenly
> should be looked at by a professional if you are not qualified. You
> could have a steering link or idler arm coming loose. It probably is a
> tire, but you can't take that chance. A tire bad enough to cause that
> wobble could be observed as the car was driven slowly and watched from
> a slight distance.

ah, but no sense in paying $75 to be told you have loose lug nuts on the
one wheel, which could cause the problem. Maybe someone was trying to
steal the OP's wheels. No one is suggesting he overhaul the steering
rack himself, but to make sure the tire pressure is ok, the wheels are
on tight, and there's no obvious wheel or tire issues before having it
towed to a shop.

Ray
Old July 31st 06, 09:33 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Shep

Ray we should't have to tell the OP this, common sensse dictates this, I
hope!!
news

Old July 31st 06, 11:47 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Kevin

"Shep" > wrote in message
> Ray we should't have to tell the OP this, common sensse dictates this, I
> hope!!

I agree Shep, but as is so often the case, there was no indication of common
sense in the original message.

Kevin

Old July 31st 06, 11:55 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Al Bundy

Kevin wrote:
> "Shep" > wrote in message
> > Ray we should't have to tell the OP this, common sensse dictates this, I
> > hope!!

> I agree Shep, but as is so often the case, there was no indication of common
> sense in the original message.
>
> Kevin

At least the guy was sharp enough to notice something and not ignore
it like some folks would. He should be OK with the heads-up he has now.
What I hate is the people who ignore problems. After something seizes
up they mention the noise they heard last week or month.

Old August 1st 06, 12:33 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

"Al Bundy" > wrote in message
> At least the guy was sharp enough to notice something and not ignore
> it like some folks would. He should be OK with the heads-up he has now.
> What I hate is the people who ignore problems. After something seizes
> up they mention the noise they heard last week or month.

Well, Mel Gibson wobbled home the other day, and see how he reacted to it;>)

Old August 1st 06, 04:37 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
ray

Shep wrote:
> Ray we should't have to tell the OP this, common sensse dictates this, I
> hope!!

common sense is remarkably uncommon.

Sister has a new Toyota Corolla. Battery died... called roadside
assistance... boosted it... brought it in... they gave her grief for
leaving the lights on and pretended to check something. Three days
later, when she had to call them for another boost and took a strip of
the service manager, they discovered the battery had a bad cell. To
diagnose a fubar'ed battery like that would take me almost two minutes
with a cheapo voltmeter. Now, they've just ****ed her off by being a
bunch of slack-asses and she's already telling people how Toyota sucks.

Ray

steering geometry [email protected][_1_] Driving 1 July 17th 06 03:52 PM
91 Golf Needs Adjustable Left Tie Rod you are nuts VW water cooled 7 December 21st 05 08:30 PM
Noisey VUE Scout Saturn 5 January 16th 05 01:59 AM
Cracked Steering Damper Assembly- Be careful Jason 4x4 2 May 19th 04 12:42 PM