More new owner questions

Old December 18th 04, 02:57 PM
Nick H

Default More new owner questions

I got a great deal on a '93 with a clean carfax record but unknown
maintenance history (and it was such a good deal I wasn't concerned about
this). I'm planning some major PM, and have a few questions:

I'm planning on changing the timing belt (the car's got 108,000 and I don't
know if it's ever been changed). Any recommendations on what else ought to
be done while I have it apart?

Recently, I've noticed that the battery light will come on, and after awhile
go off. Alternator belt is in good shape and tensioned properly. What else
should I look at?

I just barely failed the NOx emissions test. I was planning on replacing
plugs and filters this weekend anyway - any other suggestions that could
improve my chances?

Thanks in advance!

Nick

Old December 18th 04, 05:35 PM
chuckk

Recently, I've noticed that the battery light will come on, and after awhile
go off. Alternator belt is in good shape and tensioned properly. What else
should I look at?
The alternator brushes may be worn.

At the mileage you mention, the timing belt should be checked and most
likely changed. Along with the belt, the tensioner and idler should be
checkd for bearing wear, and replaced if needed. The water pump is also
considered to be a likely canidate for replacement. (Since everything gets
taken out of the way to change the timing belt.)

Other items are the camshaft seals. These are usually skipped on the first
timing belt change. (If it was even done.)

"Nick H" > wrote in message
>I got a great deal on a '93 with a clean carfax record but unknown
> maintenance history (and it was such a good deal I wasn't concerned about
> this). I'm planning some major PM, and have a few questions:
>
> I'm planning on changing the timing belt (the car's got 108,000 and I
> don't
> know if it's ever been changed). Any recommendations on what else ought
> be done while I have it apart?
>
> Recently, I've noticed that the battery light will come on, and after
> awhile
> go off. Alternator belt is in good shape and tensioned properly. What
> else
> should I look at?
>
> I just barely failed the NOx emissions test. I was planning on replacing
> plugs and filters this weekend anyway - any other suggestions that could
> improve my chances?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Nick

---
Outgoing mail is AVG certified Virus Free.

Old December 19th 04, 07:14 AM
KWS

The crankshaft seal is a good candidate for replacement as well.

Ken

Old December 22nd 04, 03:15 AM
Chris D'Agnolo

On the NOx problem, check your timing, many people advance from factory 10
degrees btdc to 14 btdc (some even go to 18), this increases internal temps
and NOx emissions pretty drasticlly. If when you check it, it's already at
10 degrees, you could hedge your bet with a temporary de-tuning to 8 or 9
degrees. It'll run like a dog but it's only temporary. Definetly go to 14
after test and use higher octane fuel if you start to hear any pinging
(detonation) in hot weather.

Good luck,
Chris
92BB&T

"KWS" > wrote in message
> The crankshaft seal is a good candidate for replacement as well.
>
> Ken
>
> "chuckk" > wrote in message
> > Recently, I've noticed that the battery light will come on, and after

> awhile
> > go off. Alternator belt is in good shape and tensioned properly. What

> else
> > should I look at?
> > The alternator brushes may be worn.
> >
> > At the mileage you mention, the timing belt should be checked and most
> > likely changed. Along with the belt, the tensioner and idler should be
> > checkd for bearing wear, and replaced if needed. The water pump is also
> > considered to be a likely canidate for replacement. (Since everything

gets
> > taken out of the way to change the timing belt.)
> >
> > Other items are the camshaft seals. These are usually skipped on the

first
> > timing belt change. (If it was even done.)
> >
> > "Nick H" > wrote in message
> > >I got a great deal on a '93 with a clean carfax record but unknown
> > > maintenance history (and it was such a good deal I wasn't concerned

> about
> > > this). I'm planning some major PM, and have a few questions:
> > >
> > > I'm planning on changing the timing belt (the car's got 108,000 and I
> > > don't
> > > know if it's ever been changed). Any recommendations on what else

ought
> > > be done while I have it apart?
> > >
> > > Recently, I've noticed that the battery light will come on, and after
> > > awhile
> > > go off. Alternator belt is in good shape and tensioned properly.

What
> > > else
> > > should I look at?
> > >
> > > I just barely failed the NOx emissions test. I was planning on

> replacing
> > > plugs and filters this weekend anyway - any other suggestions that

could
> > > improve my chances?
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance!
> > >
> > > Nick
> > >

> > ---
> > Outgoing mail is AVG certified Virus Free.

Questions, questions, questions Vernon Balbert BMW 15 January 16th 05 03:01 AM
Questions from a new owner Max Mazda 4 December 18th 04 01:01 AM
1991 Dynasty questions David Starr Dodge 2 July 3rd 04 02:10 AM