Body off - body support?

Old July 18th 05, 04:55 PM
Remco

Default Body off - body support?

Hi all

I've been thinking of a way to get the body off my bug. I know I could
just lift it off with a couple of friends and put it on sawhorses.
It is just hard to get friends together at a very specific time.
Looking at how to replace the heater channels, it looks like the body
has to be test fitted on the frame several times.
(I've never done this before also want to keep my friends in the
process

The idea was that I have to be able to lift the body by myself at will
and be able to hover it over the pan withing 1/2 inch or so. This way
frequent alignment will be less of a pain.

I like building fixtures so built this "body lift", built out of
dimensional lumber and will post some pictures eventually.
This is how it works:
Envision two (front and back) very strong saw horses where the cross
members can move up and down by means of two threaded rods.
Depending on the turning direction of these rods, the cross member
moves up or down.
The rear is built and ready to go. With an air wrench, the back can be
lifted up in minutes, high enough to clear the rear wheel. With two of
these contraptions (front and back) one just has to be careful to raise
each corner gradually so the body raises evenly.

The body sits on top of this cross member, just under the spot where
the bumper mount is bolted to the body.
It'll probably be secured by chaining the cross member to the bumper
mount bolt holes for safety but it won't be supported this way.

Is this a good spot to support the body? It looks structurally sound.
Or would it be best to bring it back down and sit it on something else?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Remco

Old July 18th 05, 05:48 PM
P.J. Berg

Remco wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I've been thinking of a way to get the body off my bug. I know I could
> just lift it off with a couple of friends and put it on sawhorses.
> It is just hard to get friends together at a very specific time.
> Looking at how to replace the heater channels, it looks like the body
> has to be test fitted on the frame several times.
> (I've never done this before also want to keep my friends in the
> process
>
> The idea was that I have to be able to lift the body by myself at will
> and be able to hover it over the pan withing 1/2 inch or so. This way
> frequent alignment will be less of a pain.
>
> I like building fixtures so built this "body lift", built out of
> dimensional lumber and will post some pictures eventually.
> This is how it works:
> Envision two (front and back) very strong saw horses where the cross
> members can move up and down by means of two threaded rods.
> Depending on the turning direction of these rods, the cross member
> moves up or down.
> The rear is built and ready to go. With an air wrench, the back can be
> lifted up in minutes, high enough to clear the rear wheel. With two of
> these contraptions (front and back) one just has to be careful to raise
> each corner gradually so the body raises evenly.
>
> The body sits on top of this cross member, just under the spot where
> the bumper mount is bolted to the body.
> It'll probably be secured by chaining the cross member to the bumper
> mount bolt holes for safety but it won't be supported this way.
>
> Is this a good spot to support the body? It looks structurally sound.
> Or would it be best to bring it back down and sit it on something else?
>
> Thanks for any suggestions.
> Remco

You can actually lift the body yourself, one end at a a time, not too
heavy..

J.
Old July 18th 05, 06:06 PM
Remco

P.J. Berg wrote:
> Remco wrote:
> > Hi all
> >
> > I've been thinking of a way to get the body off my bug. I know I could
> > just lift it off with a couple of friends and put it on sawhorses.
> > It is just hard to get friends together at a very specific time.
> > Looking at how to replace the heater channels, it looks like the body
> > has to be test fitted on the frame several times.
> > (I've never done this before also want to keep my friends in the
> > process
> >
> > The idea was that I have to be able to lift the body by myself at will
> > and be able to hover it over the pan withing 1/2 inch or so. This way
> > frequent alignment will be less of a pain.
> >
> > I like building fixtures so built this "body lift", built out of
> > dimensional lumber and will post some pictures eventually.
> > This is how it works:
> > Envision two (front and back) very strong saw horses where the cross
> > members can move up and down by means of two threaded rods.
> > Depending on the turning direction of these rods, the cross member
> > moves up or down.
> > The rear is built and ready to go. With an air wrench, the back can be
> > lifted up in minutes, high enough to clear the rear wheel. With two of
> > these contraptions (front and back) one just has to be careful to raise
> > each corner gradually so the body raises evenly.
> >
> > The body sits on top of this cross member, just under the spot where
> > the bumper mount is bolted to the body.
> > It'll probably be secured by chaining the cross member to the bumper
> > mount bolt holes for safety but it won't be supported this way.
> >
> > Is this a good spot to support the body? It looks structurally sound.
> > Or would it be best to bring it back down and sit it on something else?
> >
> > Thanks for any suggestions.
> > Remco
> >

> You can actually lift the body yourself, one end at a a time, not too
> heavy..

Thanks -- Yeah, I've tried that and it worked fine for getting it off.
It isn't that heavy, you're right.

I was really interested in bringing the body down and letting it sit
maybe a cm above the pan. This way I can align everything properly
without ****ing my friends off while they are holding it up

Old July 18th 05, 06:35 PM
Remco

Joao Eliseu wrote:
> "Remco" > wrote:
> >P.J. Berg wrote:

> >> You can actually lift the body yourself, one end at a a time, not too
> >> heavy..
> >>

> >Thanks -- Yeah, I've tried that and it worked fine for getting it off.
> >It isn't that heavy, you're right.
> >
> >I was really interested in bringing the body down and letting it sit
> >maybe a cm above the pan. This way I can align everything properly
> >without ****ing my friends off while they are holding it up
> >

> If you have cool beer on the garage maybe it can help you friends to hold the body,
> but not on the alignment it. The other solution looks a bit complicated

Cool beer is the lubricant for many things I have a t-shirt that
says "will work for beer" and my friends have taken me up on it:
They have gotten decks and additions built, basements finised, kitchens
redone, plumbing installed and their electrical rewired by offering me
beer - Come to my house, Joao, and I'll be happy to offer you beer too.
Just let me know what you drink

Maybe it sounds more complicated than it really is -- it took about an
hour to build one side with some 2x6 and 2x3 lumber. I'll post some
pictures so you get an idea.

I was really more worried about where to support the body from when it
is off. Using the current idea, it is supported by basically the
corners, just within in the wheelwell area.

Remco

Old July 18th 05, 06:42 PM
Joao Eliseu

"Remco" > wrote:
>P.J. Berg wrote:
>> Remco wrote:
>> > Hi all
>> >
>> > I've been thinking of a way to get the body off my bug. I know I could
>> > just lift it off with a couple of friends and put it on sawhorses.
>> > It is just hard to get friends together at a very specific time.
>> > Looking at how to replace the heater channels, it looks like the body
>> > has to be test fitted on the frame several times.
>> > (I've never done this before also want to keep my friends in the
>> > process
>> >
>> > The idea was that I have to be able to lift the body by myself at will
>> > and be able to hover it over the pan withing 1/2 inch or so. This way
>> > frequent alignment will be less of a pain.
>> >
>> > I like building fixtures so built this "body lift", built out of
>> > dimensional lumber and will post some pictures eventually.
>> > This is how it works:
>> > Envision two (front and back) very strong saw horses where the cross
>> > members can move up and down by means of two threaded rods.
>> > Depending on the turning direction of these rods, the cross member
>> > moves up or down.
>> > The rear is built and ready to go. With an air wrench, the back can be
>> > lifted up in minutes, high enough to clear the rear wheel. With two of
>> > these contraptions (front and back) one just has to be careful to raise
>> > each corner gradually so the body raises evenly.
>> >
>> > The body sits on top of this cross member, just under the spot where
>> > the bumper mount is bolted to the body.
>> > It'll probably be secured by chaining the cross member to the bumper
>> > mount bolt holes for safety but it won't be supported this way.
>> >
>> > Is this a good spot to support the body? It looks structurally sound.
>> > Or would it be best to bring it back down and sit it on something else?
>> >
>> > Thanks for any suggestions.
>> > Remco
>> >

>> You can actually lift the body yourself, one end at a a time, not too
>> heavy..
>>

>Thanks -- Yeah, I've tried that and it worked fine for getting it off.
>It isn't that heavy, you're right.
>
>I was really interested in bringing the body down and letting it sit
>maybe a cm above the pan. This way I can align everything properly
>without ****ing my friends off while they are holding it up

If you have cool beer on the garage maybe it can help you friends to hold the body,
but not on the alignment it. The other solution looks a bit complicated

Joao
Old July 18th 05, 07:58 PM
tricky

Hi Remco.

I have my super body 'hung' above the chassis. Its easy then to jack
the chassis up to meet the body !

Rich

Old July 18th 05, 08:04 PM
Seth Graham

On 2005-07-18, Remco > wrote:

> I was really more worried about where to support the body from when it
> is off. Using the current idea, it is supported by basically the
> corners, just within in the wheelwell area.

You seen John Henry's site? Reviewing this page might give you some
ideas:

http://www.thebugshop.org/bsp57_6.htm

He didn't run into any problems supporting the body like I think you're
suggesting.
Old July 18th 05, 09:04 PM
Remco

Seth Graham wrote:
> On 2005-07-18, Remco > wrote:
> >
> > I was really more worried about where to support the body from when it
> > is off. Using the current idea, it is supported by basically the
> > corners, just within in the wheelwell area.

> You seen John Henry's site? Reviewing this page might give you some
> ideas:
>
> http://www.thebugshop.org/bsp57_6.htm
>
> He didn't run into any problems supporting the body like I think you're
> suggesting.

Thanks - that's very useful!
I had not seen that particular page. Very interesting.. I see he uses a
2x4 in the wheelwell to keep the thing up. I'll be fine, then - when
you see the pictures, you'll see why
(my stand is wickedly overdesigned

Old July 18th 05, 09:11 PM
Remco

tricky wrote:
> Hi Remco.
>
> I have my super body 'hung' above the chassis. Its easy then to jack
> the chassis up to meet the body !
>
> Rich

Hey Rich

Yeah, I could see how that would work really well.

I considered hoisting the thing up in my garage, except I didn't want
to tie my garage up like that because it is used for woodworking as
well. Since I have no idea how long this might take me, it had to be
move-able as well (forgot to mention that in my first post).

My stand has removable casters so I can roll it out of the way - Most
my stuff rolls around for that reason.

Remco

Old July 18th 05, 10:07 PM
tricky

yeah got that problem myself ! I need to use the shop for woodwork but
cant ! been working outside in good weather.

got pc trouble too so will keep my posts short (keeps crashing)

Rich

Remco wrote:
> tricky wrote:
>
>>Hi Remco.
>>
>>I have my super body 'hung' above the chassis. Its easy then to jack
>>the chassis up to meet the body !
>>
>>Rich
>>

> Hey Rich
>
> Yeah, I could see how that would work really well.
>
> I considered hoisting the thing up in my garage, except I didn't want
> to tie my garage up like that because it is used for woodworking as
> well. Since I have no idea how long this might take me, it had to be
> move-able as well (forgot to mention that in my first post).
>
> My stand has removable casters so I can roll it out of the way - Most
> my stuff rolls around for that reason.
>
> Remco
>

>>Remco wrote:

>>>Cool beer is the lubricant for many things I have a t-shirt that
>>>says "will work for beer" and my friends have taken me up on it:
>>>They have gotten decks and additions built, basements finised, kitchens
>>>redone, plumbing installed and their electrical rewired by offering me
>>>beer - Come to my house, Joao, and I'll be happy to offer you beer too.
>>>Just let me know what you drink
>>>
>>>Maybe it sounds more complicated than it really is -- it took about an
>>>hour to build one side with some 2x6 and 2x3 lumber. I'll post some
>>>pictures so you get an idea.
>>>
>>>I was really more worried about where to support the body from when it
>>>is off. Using the current idea, it is supported by basically the
>>>corners, just within in the wheelwell area.
>>>
>>>Remco

Research Qs on my 91 16V AT valve body....LONG and semi-Technical One out of many daves VW water cooled 5 May 3rd 05 04:31 AM
Can a type 2 body be removed from the frame for body work? [email protected] VW air cooled 2 February 6th 05 01:49 AM
lookin 4 butch VW air cooled 12 December 17th 04 12:38 AM
Body Shop Adviice James Sutherland Dodge 12 October 25th 04 08:56 PM