Bad Mileage '04 Neon

Old May 29th 04, 03:54 AM
NG

Default Bad Mileage '04 Neon

Good evenin

I have an '04 Neon SXT that just turned 1000 miles tonight. I've been
noticing some pretty awful gas mileage lately. I filled the tank yesterday
and after 55 miles of driving, it's already down to 3/4 tank. Is this normal
for the break-in period? The owner's manual says the 2.0 needs only 300
miles to break in, but I'm finding the clutch and the tranny might need
more.

Any ideas why the mileage is so bad??

Thanks,

NG
'03 Neon SXT Auto
'04 Neon SXT Manual

Old May 29th 04, 04:12 AM
NG

By the way, I'm referring to both the automatic and manual transmissions.
The car noted below is the manual tranny 2004 model.

Old May 29th 04, 04:12 AM
NG

Old May 29th 04, 06:11 AM
Bill 2

"NG" > wrote in message
> Good evenin
>
> I have an '04 Neon SXT that just turned 1000 miles tonight. I've been
> noticing some pretty awful gas mileage lately. I filled the tank yesterday
> and after 55 miles of driving, it's already down to 3/4 tank. Is this

normal
> for the break-in period? The owner's manual says the 2.0 needs only 300
> miles to break in, but I'm finding the clutch and the tranny might need
> more.
>
> Any ideas why the mileage is so bad??
>
> Thanks,
>
> NG
> '03 Neon SXT Auto
> '04 Neon SXT Manual

Small tank? Non-linear gas gauge? Lots of stop and go traffic? I find
depending on my driving I get ~100km (60mi) from the indicated full to 3/4
mark in my 2000 Neon. Since "A quarter tank" isn't very quantitative, why
don't you calculate the actual mileage?

Fill tank, record odometer (or reset trip odometer), drive, fill up again,
record mileage again (or look at the trip odometer reading).

Subtract the odometer readings to get miles, use the gas added at the second
filling for gallons, divide. Miles / gallons = mileage.

What number do you get?

Old May 29th 04, 06:11 AM
Bill 2

Old June 1st 04, 02:48 AM
NG

If I let it go down to "E", I could probably get around 300-320 miles with
about half of it being highway miles. I do encounter quite a bit of stop and
go traffic to and from work since I travel through town for the most part. I
guess it really isn't as bad as I thought and falls in between the EPA
ratings in the end. I just came from a car (Saturn SL1) where the gauge was
most definately non-linear and could get 80-100 miles before leaving "Full".
It seems the Neon gauge is fairly accurate.

Old June 1st 04, 02:48 AM
NG