83 rabbit (gas) has no heat

Old January 5th 05, 01:00 AM
Dave

Default 83 rabbit (gas) has no heat

I have an 83 Rabbit with the crapiest heater ever. Even after the
engine warms up the car will only blow heat that is best described as
luke warm. The heater core is new and I have bled all the air out of
the cooling system. I have tried to figure out what the problem is but
the cooling/heater hose system is the most bizarre thing I have ever
seen (is it just me or do the feed and return lines for the heater core
look like they come from basically the same place?). Anyway I just
recently stumbled upon this group and thought maybe someone out there in
Rabbitland might have had this same problem and maybe found a solution.
Much Thanks.
Old January 5th 05, 02:16 AM

Dave wrote:
> I have an 83 Rabbit with the crapiest heater ever. Even after the
> engine warms up the car will only blow heat that is best described as
> luke warm. The heater core is new and I have bled all the air out of
> the cooling system. I have tried to figure out what the problem is but
> the cooling/heater hose system is the most bizarre thing I have ever
> seen (is it just me or do the feed and return lines for the heater core
> look like they come from basically the same place?). Anyway I just
> recently stumbled upon this group and thought maybe someone out there in
> Rabbitland might have had this same problem and maybe found a solution.
> Much Thanks.

There is a place called VWVortex.com you should investigate. There was a
recent (within the last few months) that described the coolant system ad
included some diagrams. You'll need to search the forums a bit to find it.

In any case there these things to consider the next time you go look
under the hood;

- There is a number of ways the coolant travels around in the system
A) Coolant goes out the water pump, through he bypass pipe (it's
bypassing the <closed> thermostat) and up to the head and back via the
radiator.
B) The coolant flows though the thermo and flows into the block, then up
and out the top and into the radiator and back to the pump.
C) the Coolant flows through the heater core regulated by the heater valve.

- Let's concentrate on C: in the early models the coolant to the heater
core can be closed down to a trickle by the cable actuated valve, you'll
see it inline of on of the heater hose going into the firewall.

Have a friend open and close the lever in the car while you inspect that
cable/valve hookup.

It might be a bad cable, a bad level assembly inside, a clogged heater
core, tampering by a previous owner to reroute to hoses or something else.

btw, you DO have one of THESE don't you?:
<http://www.rb.com> Used versions can be found online o better yet in
used book stores.

hth,
TBerk
Old January 5th 05, 02:03 PM

T > wrote:

>Dave wrote:
>> I have an 83 Rabbit with the crapiest heater ever. Even after the
>> engine warms up the car will only blow heat that is best described as
>> luke warm. The heater core is new and I have bled all the air out of
>> the cooling system. I have tried to figure out what the problem is but
>> the cooling/heater hose system is the most bizarre thing I have ever
>> seen (is it just me or do the feed and return lines for the heater core
>> look like they come from basically the same place?). Anyway I just
>> recently stumbled upon this group and thought maybe someone out there in
>> Rabbitland might have had this same problem and maybe found a solution.
>> Much Thanks.

>There is a place called VWVortex.com you should investigate. There was a
>recent (within the last few months) that described the coolant system ad
>included some diagrams. You'll need to search the forums a bit to find it.
>
>In any case there these things to consider the next time you go look
>under the hood;
>

>- There is a number of ways the coolant travels around in the system
>A) Coolant goes out the water pump, through he bypass pipe (it's
>bypassing the <closed> thermostat) and up to the head and back via the
>radiator.
>B) The coolant flows though the thermo and flows into the block, then up
>and out the top and into the radiator and back to the pump.
>C) the Coolant flows through the heater core regulated by the heater valve.
>
>- Let's concentrate on C: in the early models the coolant to the heater
>core can be closed down to a trickle by the cable actuated valve, you'll
>see it inline of on of the heater hose going into the firewall.
>
>Have a friend open and close the lever in the car while you inspect that
>cable/valve hookup.
>
>It might be a bad cable, a bad level assembly inside, a clogged heater
>core, tampering by a previous owner to reroute to hoses or something else.
>
>btw, you DO have one of THESE don't you?:
><http://www.rb.com> Used versions can be found online o better yet in
>used book stores.
>

>hth,
>TBerk

Another way to test the heater valve is to feel the small hoses that
go into the firewall. Hot hoses going into and returning from the
firewall suggest fair water flow. I think I have replaced one of those
water valves on one of my Rabbits. Gas Rabbits traditionally have
great heat after a mile of diving if it is about freezing. 2 miles if
it is really cold. Remove the valve to make sure it is wide open. It
will overheat you if the valve is properly opening and your engine
thermostat is working correctly.

Jim B.