CEL P1135 (do I have to?)

Old August 18th 06, 09:21 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected][_1_]

Default CEL P1135 (do I have to?)

On my way home from work the other day my check engine light came on.
The next day I had it at the mechanic to see what that was all about.
They came back with a code P1135: Manufacturer's Controller Air & Fuel
Metering Air/fuel sensor heating circuit (reading off the estimate) for
~$300. My question is: what happens if I don't have this done
(short-term and long-term)? I'm not too up on these things, so to me
"sensor" just tells me that it's monitoring something and not actually
DOING anything...therefore it's probably fine, although if the air/fuel
ratio became an issue somehow, I'd be in trouble. Please enlighten
me...it's a good amount of dough for me right now. Thanks!

Old August 19th 06, 12:47 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Shep

Seconded, Don, but this is a chronic problem in these forums!!

www.donsautomotive.com

Old August 19th 06, 01:44 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

Oops, sorry...

2000 Toyota Camry LE 4 cyl. I live in Rhode Island. The estimate on
the sheet says $280 but I could've sworn they said it would be $375.
Maybe they do their estimates without labor included or maybe I
misheard. Thanks for any information you can give me.

www.donsautomotive.com

Old August 19th 06, 03:21 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Don[_1_]

On 18 Aug 2006 17:44:02 -0700, "
> wrote:

>Oops, sorry...
>
>2000 Toyota Camry LE 4 cyl. I live in Rhode Island.

Are you subject to smog inspection there?

> The estimate on
>the sheet says $280

That is about what I would charge for replacement, clearing the code
and a test drive.

> but I could've sworn they said it would be $375.
>Maybe they do their estimates without labor included or maybe I
>misheard. Thanks for any information you can give me.
>

>Don wrote:
>> On 18 Aug 2006 13:21:55 -0700, wrote:
>>
>> >On my way home from work the other day my check engine light came on.
>> >The next day I had it at the mechanic to see what that was all about.
>> >They came back with a code P1135: Manufacturer's Controller Air & Fuel
>> >Metering Air/fuel sensor heating circuit

This is one code that pretty much tells you what part to replace. I
have never seen a heater circuit code that wasn't a bad O2/air fuel
ratio sensor. Maybe on European cars that I don't work on its
different but on Japanese if you get a heater code replace the O2
sensor and the problem will be fixed. An air/fuel ratio sensor is a
new generation more sophisticated variant of an O2 sensor. With a
burnt out heater it will not function well particularly during warmup
and at low throttle openings. The computer will have difficulty
keeping the fuel mixture optimized for economy and cleanest possible
exhaust.

Don
www.donsautomotive.com