C4 Numerous Problems :(

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 14th 06, 05:57 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Default C4 Numerous Problems :(

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

I haven't drove my car in two years. 1988 Convertable Auto.

I cold stored it over one winter and when I went to take it out there was
tranny fluid everywhere! I had it towed to a shop and they charged me $900.
to replace a 'transmission seal kit'. The guy assured me I wouldn't have to
worry about losing a drop of fluid again. 1 month later I noticed the car
slipping. Again, fluid leaking only not so noticeable. Towed to same
garage. He said he had one side fixed for $240 and the other side would
take another $240. I reminded him that he said I wouldn't have to worry
about fluid again and he said that these were different seals? Anyways I
never gave him permission to do any work so I paid the $240 and told him to
button it up. It's sat on my parking pad ever since.

Anyone know how many seals in a transmission? Was I being taken for a ride?
I now have to take it to a real transmission shop and get a price on doing
the whole job over again. They quoted me $600. with a lifetime guarentee.
I just started it up this evening and I can't wait to enjoy it this year!

Problem 1: My dash pulsates? I think it might be the altinator of the
battery? The battey loses charge over several days of not driving but
charges and drives fine.

Problem 2: Sometimes hard to start. I read on this forum some time ago that
it might be a couple of sensors in the intake plenum? The symptoms were the
same as the guy in the post. I thought at first it was the injectors
leaking or the fuel rail. Sometimes you have to crank and crank and you
smell fuel. Holding the pedal to the floor helps like clearing a flood.
You can also take 'screens' off that are in front of these sensors? If you
wait for the car to get cold again it flashes right up? Any ideas on this
would be appreciated.

Problem 3: Noisy catalytic converter. I grounded teh car on time on a dip
in the road (*bad*) Since then I hear a rattle. i had it checked and the
guy said something wa sloose inside the cat and the only way to fix it was
to replace it. It rattles on startup and is embaressing. Especially
combined with problem #2 I have Dyna Max Performance exhaust and teh
muffler gusy say they can replece the CAT with a straight piece of stainless
pipe. My question is:
If I remove the CAT is the car still driveable? Someone told me it would
run like crap and I would have to get a the chip replaced so it can run
without it? Does this make sence?

Problem 4: Oil leak. Rear main seal is leaking. I assume this will be a
straight forward job for the tranny ship since the have the transmission
dropped anyway?

Other than that the car is a cream puff with only 45K on it. These problems
only came up the last couple months of driving..

Any suggestions on any of the above would be greatly appreciated!! * Save
The Wave*