Found in barn, complete

Old August 31st 06, 03:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
DeserTBoB

Default Found in barn, complete

Out in the heat in the Fifth Avenue today, I ran by a place out in the
desert that had looked derelict for years, but was now being cleaned
up. The "barn" (loose application of term) doors were open, and there
in the middle of a ton of crap, was a 1955 Dodge Royal Lancer sedan. I
had to pull in to check.

As it turned out, the old fellow that lived there had just died and
his relations were taking care of the estate. Evidently, he had lived
there in semi-hermitage for at least 25 years, only leaving the house
to get food and necessities. He had been an alfalfa farmer prior and
quit farming when prices on electricity and diesel rose to a point of
unprofitability.

His great grandson (!!) didn't know much about the car other than it
was bought by him new from H.W Hunter Dodge/De Soto/Plymouth in 1955
locally. It has the original tri-tone paint scheme
(white/black/pink??) and extra brightwork for the Royal Lancer. Under
the hood is the original 270 with the 4 bbl. carb and Powerflite. The
old fellow had put this up on cinder blocks, drained everything and
removed the battery, and it is in excellent (though extremely dirty
and "mousy") condition. They haven't had any inquiries on this car
yet, although they were going to approach H.W. Hunter, seeing if they
wanted to buy it back (!!!).

Question: I have seen ZERO '55-'56 Chrysler products, except for
Imperials, around in the "special interest" catagories in shows or
auctions. Does anyone know if they do have a following? I haven't
seen ANY '55 Dodge ANYTHING (let alone a Royal Lancer!) in at least 15
years, most being victim to early body rot. This, being a desert car,
is rust-free. I hedged my bet, I put a $500 deposit on it to hold it
for 2 days. A worthwhile restoration project?
Old August 31st 06, 04:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
duty-honor-country[_4_]

Default Found in barn, complete-WARNING-THIS IS FAKE

DeserTBoB wrote:
> Out in the heat in the Fifth Avenue today, I ran by a place out in the
> desert that had looked derelict for years, but was now being cleaned
> up. The "barn" (loose application of term) doors were open, and there
> in the middle of a ton of crap, was a 1955 Dodge Royal Lancer sedan. I
> had to pull in to check.
>
> As it turned out, the old fellow that lived there had just died and
> his relations were taking care of the estate. Evidently, he had lived
> there in semi-hermitage for at least 25 years, only leaving the house
> to get food and necessities. He had been an alfalfa farmer prior and
> quit farming when prices on electricity and diesel rose to a point of
> unprofitability.
>
> His great grandson (!!) didn't know much about the car other than it
> was bought by him new from H.W Hunter Dodge/De Soto/Plymouth in 1955
> locally. It has the original tri-tone paint scheme
> (white/black/pink??) and extra brightwork for the Royal Lancer. Under
> the hood is the original 270 with the 4 bbl. carb and Powerflite. The
> old fellow had put this up on cinder blocks, drained everything and
> removed the battery, and it is in excellent (though extremely dirty
> and "mousy") condition. They haven't had any inquiries on this car
> yet, although they were going to approach H.W. Hunter, seeing if they
> wanted to buy it back (!!!).
>
> Question: I have seen ZERO '55-'56 Chrysler products, except for
> Imperials, around in the "special interest" catagories in shows or
> auctions. Does anyone know if they do have a following? I haven't
> seen ANY '55 Dodge ANYTHING (let alone a Royal Lancer!) in at least 15
> years, most being victim to early body rot. This, being a desert car,
> is rust-free. I hedged my bet, I put a $500 deposit on it to hold it
> for 2 days. A worthwhile restoration project?

att: CHRYSLER GROUP

2 years ago this "desertbob" character came into our
alt.collecting.8track group, professing he was some kind of wiz
electronics repairman and analog tape expert. He has effectively
destroyed that group at this point. He obviously has become bored, and
moved on to your group.

What you see here, is EXACTLY how he came into our group, 2 years ago.
If you are wise, you will IGNORE HIS POSTS. If you want to see what he
can and will turn your group into, just take a look at what's left of
our collecting group, after he got done with it:

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.c...k-tapes?lnk=li

To see just what this person is capable of, check his recent posts
he

http://groups.google.com/groups/prof...n7nbF1Te82ZIng

more specifically, this is what you are in for shortly down the road:

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.c...9c ce3c6d1ed5

From: DeserTBoB - view profile
Date: Sat, Dec 24 2005 1:51 pm
Email: DeserTBoB >
Groups: alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
Not yet ratedRating:
show options
original | Report Abuse | Find messages by this author

On 24 Dec 2005 08:32:28 -0800, wrote:

>"A Saviour was born to us, 2005 years ago."

>I agree- Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays. :-D

>Going out now to finish up the last bit of shopping... LOL <snip>

**** xmas. It's just an arbitrary date the early church nutters came
up with to replace the winter solstice celebrations that people came
up with to prevent routine winter depression. They can't even agree
when xmas really was...Dec. 21? Dec. 25? Jan. 6? Ask enough
churches, they'll give you several answers, none of which are backed
up by evidence or any unimpeachable record. The reason the nutters
backed away from Dec. 21 was that this was the solstice, and that was
"SCIENCE"...ooooh, bad! In the US, xmas became a commercially driven
holiday originally hyped by Macy's, Best's, Bloomingdale's and
Gimbel's in New York City to boost sales, since Jews weren't big on
gift buying (can't make a big profit on selling draedels, can you?),
and the christians would turn their wallets inside out.

Me? I'm going to enjoy our salubrious weather outside and prune some
shrubbery and get ready for spring, which might be early this year. As
for Associated Stores, Target, Wally-Fart and the other money
grubbers, here's my "holiday greeting": Start the after xmas sales
already!

....and here's my "holiday greeting" to Charlie Nudo, aka 66fourdoor:
You many THINK you're above the law of the land and the laws of moral,
responsible behavior, but you'll get yours...hopefully this year. And
then, you'll pay and pay and pay and pay. May your misery be
compounded and your schizophrenia land you in a Pennsylvania state
mental facility!

AND ALSO CHECK THIS POST BY "DESERTBOB"

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.c...63f73e2042b638

From: DeserTBoB - view profile
Date: Thurs, Aug 24 2006 3:47 pm
Email: DeserTBoB >
Groups: alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
Not yet ratedRating:
show options
original | Report Abuse | Find messages by this author

Charlie Nudo (its real name) is a troll. It regularly frequents at
least twenty news groups, including many rabid/gay/gun nut/racist
groups. Normally, it starts off with reasonable, even witty lines,
but rapidly drifts into lies, abuse and stupidity. Check its details
at Google Groups at this URL

http://groups.google.com/groups/sear...in28track%40ya...

It is a sad creature, deserving of pity, not anger. Any direct
response simply feeds it, but it will go away if you ignore it.

....one can only hope...and soon.

Old August 31st 06, 04:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
DeserTBoB

On 30 Aug 2006 20:17:34 -0700, "duty-honor-country"
> wrote:

>2 years ago this "desertbob" character came into our <snip>

This is "projection" from a mentally ill troll. An in-depth view of
Mr.Nudo's complete positing history (including the 200-300 posts he
deleted) show a different tale.

I refuse to respond to this now-dying troll. Please take a moment and
forward this post, along with complete headers, to:

Use the terms "trollshifting" and "'nymshifting" in your complaints,
as that is what he is doing. ALL 20 or MORE of his previous Google
Groups accounts have been shut down (banned), seven in the last 72
hours.

Tks for your patience and understanding.
Old August 31st 06, 04:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
bicycle

duty-honor-country aka Charlie Nudo wrote:

> att: CHRYSLER GROUP
>
> 2 years ago this "desertbob" character came into our
> alt.collecting.8track group, professing he was some kind of wiz
> electronics repairman and analog tape expert. He has effectively
> destroyed that group at this point. He obviously has become bored, and
> moved on to your group.

Outright lie, you destroyed that group years ago due to stalking,
harassment and calling people at home and at work who you had disputes
with. Now you've had 7 accounts banned by Google in the last 72 hours
and you're STILL pulling the same crap that got you banned.

> What you see here, is EXACTLY how he came into our group, 2 years ago.
> If you are wise, you will IGNORE HIS POSTS. If you want to see what he
> can and will turn your group into, just take a look at what's left of
> our collecting group, after he got done with it:

This group was fine until you showed up stalking Bob. The proof is in
the posting history here.

> To see just what this person is capable of, check his recent posts
> he

Don't forget to tell the folks here how you called my wife at work over
something that happened on Usenet and the threats you made to me but
backed off when I stood up to your sorry ass.

Old August 31st 06, 04:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
bicycle

DeserTBoB wrote:
> Out in the heat in the Fifth Avenue today, I ran by a place out in the
> desert that had looked derelict for years, but was now being cleaned
> up. The "barn" (loose application of term) doors were open, and there
> in the middle of a ton of crap, was a 1955 Dodge Royal Lancer sedan. I
> had to pull in to check.
>
> As it turned out, the old fellow that lived there had just died and
> his relations were taking care of the estate. Evidently, he had lived
> there in semi-hermitage for at least 25 years, only leaving the house
> to get food and necessities. He had been an alfalfa farmer prior and
> quit farming when prices on electricity and diesel rose to a point of
> unprofitability.
>
> His great grandson (!!) didn't know much about the car other than it
> was bought by him new from H.W Hunter Dodge/De Soto/Plymouth in 1955
> locally. It has the original tri-tone paint scheme
> (white/black/pink??) and extra brightwork for the Royal Lancer. Under
> the hood is the original 270 with the 4 bbl. carb and Powerflite. The
> old fellow had put this up on cinder blocks, drained everything and
> removed the battery, and it is in excellent (though extremely dirty
> and "mousy") condition. They haven't had any inquiries on this car
> yet, although they were going to approach H.W. Hunter, seeing if they
> wanted to buy it back (!!!).
>
> Question: I have seen ZERO '55-'56 Chrysler products, except for
> Imperials, around in the "special interest" catagories in shows or
> auctions. Does anyone know if they do have a following? I haven't
> seen ANY '55 Dodge ANYTHING (let alone a Royal Lancer!) in at least 15
> years, most being victim to early body rot. This, being a desert car,
> is rust-free. I hedged my bet, I put a $500 deposit on it to hold it
> for 2 days. A worthwhile restoration project?

Keep us posted.

Old September 1st 06, 05:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
DeserTBoB

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 19:38:20 -0700, DeserTBoB >
wrote:

>The "barn" (loose application of term) doors were open, and there
>in the middle of a ton of crap, was a 1955 Dodge Royal Lancer sedan. I
>had to pull in to check. <snip>

The grandkids cleaned out the "barn" and hosed off the car, and dug
out all the rat traps and layers of dirt. I looked under the hood,
and the 270 has a Carter WCFB on it, which I guess is stock and the
old guy had removed all the plugs and fitted rubber stoppers in all
the spark plug holes. Removal of those showed that he had be
squirting oil into each one from time to time, a good practice for
storage that most forget about. The braking system is either shot or
dry, but the booster is intact. Once they cleaned off all the filth,
it's not a complete basket case car at all, and I'm almost sure I
could get that engine running as-is. Anyway I offered them $3000 on
top of the $500 deposit...we'll see what they think.

I really have no clue as to rarity/value of this car, except that it
is rust-free, all original and I haven't seen a '55 Dodge anywhere, in
any show or auction, for at least 20 years.. Last time I saw anything
like this was a '56 Royal coupe that had tons of Bondo and Fibreglas
patches in it and that was like 15 years ago. The gaudy tri-tone
paint job is classic Virgil Exner at work! I think Chrysler was alone
in doing tri-tone paint in those years.

We shall see what develops.
Old September 1st 06, 12:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
duty-honor-country[_5_]

DeserTBoB wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 19:38:20 -0700, DeserTBoB >
> wrote:
>
> >The "barn" (loose application of term) doors were open, and there
> >in the middle of a ton of crap, was a 1955 Dodge Royal Lancer sedan. I
> >had to pull in to check. <snip>

> The grandkids cleaned out the "barn" and hosed off the car, and dug
> out all the rat traps and layers of dirt. I looked under the hood,
> and the 270 has a Carter WCFB on it, which I guess is stock and the
> old guy had removed all the plugs and fitted rubber stoppers in all
> the spark plug holes. Removal of those showed that he had be
> squirting oil into each one from time to time, a good practice for
> storage that most forget about. The braking system is either shot or
> dry, but the booster is intact. Once they cleaned off all the filth,
> it's not a complete basket case car at all, and I'm almost sure I
> could get that engine running as-is. Anyway I offered them $3000 on
> top of the $500 deposit...we'll see what they think.
>
> I really have no clue as to rarity/value of this car, except that it
> is rust-free, all original and I haven't seen a '55 Dodge anywhere, in
> any show or auction, for at least 20 years.. Last time I saw anything
> like this was a '56 Royal coupe that had tons of Bondo and Fibreglas
> patches in it and that was like 15 years ago. The gaudy tri-tone
> paint job is classic Virgil Exner at work! I think Chrysler was alone
> in doing tri-tone paint in those years.
>
> We shall see what develops.

parts car- it would cost at least $25,000 and a few years to get it
restored to driveable condition. Every fuel and brake line will be
rotted out. Every brake wheel cylinder will need rebuild/replacement.
It will need 4 new drums and all new brake shoes. 4 new tires and
alignment. All the steering linkage will need replacement, ties rods,
drag link, and idler arm. The gas tank most likely is rotted out and
leaking. The engine and trans will need total rebuild, which will cost
at least $5000. New exhaust system needed. New interior needed. New
battery, alternator, starter, water pump, radiator, heater core. All
new belts/hoses. Most of the gauges won't work.

The body must be pulled from the frame, and both
sandblasted/dipped/painted. All new body mounts needed.

Each panel on the body will need to be either replaced, or diligently
bodyworked. Forget trying to find replacement panels for that car.

Anything that old will need all the wiring harnesses replaced or
repaired/checked. Most of the bulbs won't work. All the rugs and
seats from the interior will need to be pulled.

A 270 V-8 was a dog. If you had the small Dodge Hemi it would be worth
buying. Even if you parted it out, you'd have a hard time getting
$3000 for the parts. That is basically a $500 parts car.

To restore that car, most places give a very high estimate, and you
"pay as you go". If you miss a payment, you go to the back of the
line. In the end, the cost or restoration is more than what that car
is worth, totally restored. You could buy 3 of them in pristine shape,
for the cost of restoring one.

The car is not rare. Here are the production figures:

1955 Dodge Royal Lancer Sedan 4-door- factory price $2285- shipping
weight 3425 lbs.- production total 45,323 units

The only good thing about that car is this- if that is an original
4-barrel engine, it is the "Super Red Ram" 270 CID, but that was rated
at a paltry 193 HP at 4400 rpm from the factory. And there's a very
good chance someone took the intake/4-barrel from a SRR engine, and put
it on that car. If that's the case, it may be the lesser 175 HP or 183
HP 2-barrel engine, with the 4-bbl induction system. Regardless,
those 270's were dogs- their peak rpm at peak HP was a pathetic 4400
rpm.

But someone may want the SRR engine for a nicer 2-door resto that same
year.

The guy knows what it is worth- you aren't getting a deal. You're
getting a liability. If it's a 4-door, which I'm thinking it is- that
car is a stone. Did you ever drive around in a 3400 lb. car with only
190 HP, and a slushbox trans ?

Flame war aside, I'm not above educating you on vintage car matters.
Buy one that's already running and nicer. The world is full of people
who buy cars like that, dump $15000 into them, and the car is still in
primer and not running yet, 5 years later.

To put that in vogue, the V-6 3.4 liter engine in my ' 95 GM product
makes 210 HP.

Old September 1st 06, 12:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
duty-honor-country[_5_]

Default your deposit is all it's worth

> top of the $500 deposit...we'll see what they think.
>
> We shall see what develops.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1955-...QQcmdZViewItem

For $500 you can buy a complete car like that on Ebay.

For $3000 each, I can find 30 of those cars here in Pa. in the
junkyards.

They are quite common and total Lancer production for 1955, including
2dr, 4dr, and wagon, was over 75,000 units.

Old September 1st 06, 04:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
DeserTBoB

On 1 Sep 2006 04:49:17 -0700, "duty-honor-country"
> wrote:

>A 270 V-8 was a dog. If you had the small Dodge Hemi it would be worth
>buying. <snip>

Charlie Nudo of Drums, PA once again shows his ignorance and
stupidity.

The 270 WAS a HEMI, you IDIOT! As for the rest of the post, just more
"trolling" from Charlie Nudo...as expect.

This account should be down by noon, PDT.
Old September 2nd 06, 12:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
duty-honor-country[_5_]

Default all 270's are not hemis-most are poly engines-big difference

DeserTBoB wrote:
> On 1 Sep 2006 04:49:17 -0700, "duty-honor-country"
> > wrote:
>
> >A 270 V-8 was a dog. If you had the small Dodge Hemi it would be worth
> >buying. <snip>

> Charlie Nudo of Drums, PA once again shows his ignorance and
> stupidity.
>
> The 270 WAS a HEMI, you IDIOT! As for the rest of the post, just more
> "trolling" from Charlie Nudo...as expect.
>
> This account should be down by noon, PDT.

That shows what you know.

What that car has, is a POLY 270 engine- single rocker shaft canted
valve wedge head. Go to this link, scroll down to the chart- the car
you're looking at had a 270 POLY in it- same block as the Hemi, but
cheap single-rocker shaft heads. Totally different top end. You can
convert a poly to a Hemi, but why bother.

http://victorylibrary.com/mopar/dodge-c4.htm

Dodge Hemispheric vs. Polyspheric Motor Comments
Development and Description
Less expensive, lighter variants of the Dodge hemi motors were
developed, and introduced in 1955 for installation in the mid-priced
Dodge cars. These new motors used the existing hemi block, but
completely different heads, exhaust manifolds, pushrods, pistons, etc.
with only a single rocker shaft in each head; the same intake manifolds
were used in many cases (but not the dual 4 bbl.). These motors were
called "poly" (for poly-spheric: meaning "more than one
sphere"), since the combustion chamber was now formed by two separate
concave domed shapes (the valve seats and surrounding reliefs).
Poly motors are also called single rocker shaft ("SRS"), while
hemi motors are dual rocker shaft ("DRS").
Conversion of Dodge Poly Motors to Hemi
1955-58 Dodge 241, 259, 270, 315 & 325 poly motors can be converted
to hemi by substitution of hemi parts using Dodge parts only.
If the original pistons are used, the motor will run, but have
lower compression since the poly piston does not have a compression
dome. The crankshaft balance will also be affected, since the hemi
pistons are heavier in most cases due to the dome. Heads should be
selected from motors of the same or smaller bore size to prevent the
chamber from overhanging the bore, but some choices may be available as
to port size, valve size and chamber volume. Manifolds must match the
deck height (low or raised). Hemi head bolts must be used.
DeSoto Poly Motors
Although "wide-block"poly motors were used in lower-priced
1955-58 DeSoto models, they are Dodge engines based on the Dodge hemi
motor. These and the 1955-56 Plymouths using these motors can be
converted by using Dodge hemi parts as described above. There is no
poly motor based on the DeSoto hemi series.
Chrysler Poly Motors
Chrysler 1955-58 Saratoga and Windsor 301, 331 & 354 poly motors
are based on the Chrysler hemi motors, which are only distantly related
to other brands.
Poly "A" Motors
There is no hemi motor based on the "A" series poly motor as
used in Plymouths 1956-67 and some Dodges 1958-59, and no conversion by
direct substitution is possible.
The "A" poly motor is very similar in design to the earlier
hemi-derived poly motors, but parts are not generally interchangable.
Notes
All 1951-57 Chrysler, DeSoto, Dodge and Plymouth V8 motors,
regardless of family, size or type, have the distributor located in the
rear of the engine. Only 1958-* "B" and "RB" type motors, both
wedge and hemi, have front-mounted distributors.
There is no commonality of parts or dimensions between the early
(1951-58) motors and late (1964-*) hemi motors, which were developed by
adapting hemi technology to the "RB" motors.
The Table below contains "Maximum Compression Distance" data.
This is not measured or taken from factory information, it is
calculated on the basis of .000" deck height (with the piston's top
surface flush with the cylinder bank head gasket surface) with the
tallest possible theoretical piston (measured between the piston pin
center and the top surface).