1986 Civic Timing Belt

Old July 3rd 06, 01:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Spike McKracken

Default 1986 Civic Timing Belt

I am replacing - my timing belt on a 1986 Civic - after a breakage.
I can find the TDC on the crank pulley - but not on the camshaft wheel.
My Manual say look for a TOP and two lines - the lines are there to line up
wit the head (horizontal) but the TOP mark is missing . (There are a couple
of numbers - are these the indicator)

I tried to work out TDC - say from position of rotor in distributor, or
valve sequence - can any one describe this for me ?

SPike

Old July 3rd 06, 01:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam[_1_]

Spike McKracken wrote:
> I am replacing - my timing belt on a 1986 Civic - after a breakage.
> I can find the TDC on the crank pulley - but not on the camshaft wheel.
> My Manual say look for a TOP and two lines - the lines are there to line up
> wit the head (horizontal) but the TOP mark is missing . (There are a couple
> of numbers - are these the indicator)

on the 88-91 it says "up", so try looking for something like that.
either way, look for some lettering on one half - there should be
nothing on the other.

> I tried to work out TDC - say from position of rotor in distributor, or
> valve sequence - can any one describe this for me ?
>
> SPike

rotor arm should point at #1 cylinder's plug lead.
Old July 3rd 06, 05:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Earle Horton[_1_]

Spike,

This is afaik an interference engine. What if anything have you done so far
about valves colliding with piston heads? Curious.

If you line up the two lines properly, you will find one position where both
valves for cylinder number one are closed, and one where they are not. You
can also see that both cam lobes for #1 are pointing sort of downwards in
that position. You can use that information to oriente the cam sprocket
properly, if the "TOP" mark is missing or you do not recognize it.

Earle

Old July 4th 06, 01:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Spike McCracken

"Earle Horton" > wrote in
:

> Spike,
>
> This is afaik an interference engine. What if anything have you done
> so far about valves colliding with piston heads? Curious.
>
> If you line up the two lines properly, you will find one position
> where both valves for cylinder number one are closed, and one where
> they are not. You can also see that both cam lobes for #1 are
> pointing sort of downwards in that position. You can use that
> information to oriente the cam sprocket properly, if the "TOP" mark is
> missing or you do not recognize it.
>
> Earle
>
> "Spike McKracken" > wrote in message
>>
>> I am replacing - my timing belt on a 1986 Civic - after a breakage.
>> I can find the TDC on the crank pulley - but not on the camshaft
>> wheel. My Manual say look for a TOP and two lines - the lines are
>> there to line

> up
>> wit the head (horizontal) but the TOP mark is missing . (There are a

> couple
>> of numbers - are these the indicator)
>>
>> I tried to work out TDC - say from position of rotor in distributor,
>> or valve sequence - can any one describe this for me ?
>>
>> SPike

Re valves - I've read a few accounts of belts breaking on the web and
none had had the valves bent - I guess I am hoping that they are OK.
I could give the cylinders a compression test - but I was going to give
it a try anyway - always hopeful

Thanks for the info on valve position - that should help.

SPike
Old July 4th 06, 01:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam[_1_]

Spike McCracken wrote:
> "Earle Horton" > wrote in
> :
>

>>Spike,
>>
>>This is afaik an interference engine. What if anything have you done
>>so far about valves colliding with piston heads? Curious.
>>
>>If you line up the two lines properly, you will find one position
>>where both valves for cylinder number one are closed, and one where
>>they are not. You can also see that both cam lobes for #1 are
>>pointing sort of downwards in that position. You can use that
>>information to oriente the cam sprocket properly, if the "TOP" mark is
>>missing or you do not recognize it.
>>
>>Earle
>>
>>"Spike McKracken" > wrote in message
. ..

>>>I am replacing - my timing belt on a 1986 Civic - after a breakage.
>>>I can find the TDC on the crank pulley - but not on the camshaft
>>>wheel. My Manual say look for a TOP and two lines - the lines are
>>>there to line

>>up
>>
>>>wit the head (horizontal) but the TOP mark is missing . (There are a

>>couple
>>
>>>of numbers - are these the indicator)
>>>
>>>I tried to work out TDC - say from position of rotor in distributor,
>>>or valve sequence - can any one describe this for me ?
>>>
>>>SPike
>>>

> Re valves - I've read a few accounts of belts breaking on the web and
> none had had the valves bent - I guess I am hoping that they are OK.
> I could give the cylinders a compression test - but I was going to give
> it a try anyway - always hopeful
>
> Thanks for the info on valve position - that should help.
>
> SPike

as earle says, you need to check. the quickest way is valve lash. if
you have a large clearance, you've got a bent valve. not /all/ broken
belts result in bent valves, [my friend's 88 accord for instance] but
this is an interference engine, and the chances are very much that there
is damage.
Old July 19th 06, 07:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
TE Chea

Default design flaw : bad cooling ( 1986 Civic Timing Belt )

www.aa1car.com/library/us697.htm para 13
1984-87 Honda Civics. These engines will often blow the head
gasket if the engine overheats

Old July 19th 06, 05:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Earle Horton[_1_]

"TE Chea" > wrote in message ...
> www.aa1car.com/library/us697.htm para 13
> 1984-87 Honda Civics. These engines will often blow the head
> gasket if the engine overheats

I wouldn't call this a design flaw. Many engines will blow something if you
overheat them or run them low on coolant. The engine is designed to run
with coolant in it. If you want to call that a design flaw for a liquid
cooled engine, go ahead.

Earle

Old July 20th 06, 09:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Gordon McGrew[_1_]

On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 10:21:22 -0600, "Earle Horton"
> wrote:

>"TE Chea" > wrote in message ...
>> www.aa1car.com/library/us697.htm para 13
>> 1984-87 Honda Civics. These engines will often blow the head
>> gasket if the engine overheats
>>

>I wouldn't call this a design flaw.

The only design flaw involved here is between Chea's ears.

>Many engines will blow something if you
>overheat them or run them low on coolant. The engine is designed to run
>with coolant in it. If you want to call that a design flaw for a liquid
>cooled engine, go ahead.

Don't tempt him like that.

Old July 22nd 06, 05:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
TE Chea

| I wouldn't call this a design flaw.
I would ; design should be good enough ( with a good safety margin
) for slight & short-duration overheating.

| Many engines will blow something if you overheat them
Only badly designed 1s cannot be overheated for even 2 seconds.
In 3-05, my Mitsubishi 4G15P 's radiator fan did not spin : for 2
seconds before I switched off ignition, water boiled into overflow
bottle, some mineral oil had been heated to tar inside rocker cover.
Yet this engine got no damage, & still works.
In 11-80, my Datsun 120Y's radiator broke upon hitting a bush, I
could still drive car to nearest repair shop ( water reached boiling
when I reached there ), engine got no damage from short-duration
overheating.

| If you want to call that a design flaw for a liquid
| cooled engine, go ahead.
u must be a honda salesman