Seeking additional info abour repairs to a Jeep

Old July 9th 05, 12:06 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

You forgot Ethyl:
http://www.uwsp.edu/geo/courses/geog...Ethyl10-27.jpg
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old July 9th 05, 12:17 AM
Tomes

LOL - how old is that?

Old July 9th 05, 01:34 AM
Mike Romain

You are right, we get the 87 too.

Try it on a highway run and compare. If you get better mileage, then
compare the amount like I did. On our 88 Cherokee 4.0, it shows no
benefit.

My owners manual even says to use high test when fully loaded or running
hard.

Mike

Old July 9th 05, 02:32 PM
Tomes

Maybe I will then just to see. I was always afraid to feed it some in case
it decided to get used to it and then thumbed its nose at the regular Citgo
stuff I use (from Venezuela - not the arab regions). I suspect that I will
see a result similar to your 4.0.

Old July 9th 05, 03:53 PM
RoyJ

In some states and/or some retailers will add the alcohol to the higher
octance blends. I talked to a retailer, the alcohol blends have the same
cost for higher octane. One local dicount place has 87, 89, and 91
octane, 89 and 91 are the same price.

Downside is that you get appreciably lower mileage. I just did a cross
country trip, I get almost 2 miles per gallon better (about 7%) on
straight gas over the locally mandated 10 alcohol.

http://www.billhughes.com/

Old July 9th 05, 07:13 PM
Lon

proclaimed:

> I have been quoted some prices on some potential repairs to my 95 Jeep
> Wrangler, but being a non-technical owner (I just drive the thing, I
> don't know how it works) I have a hard time understanding these
> problems, guaging how important they really are, and guessing whether
> or not I am getting a decent price.
>
> I do trust this particular mechanic, and they are not presenting these
> problems to me as high-importance must-fix-for-safe-operation problems,
> but I would still appreciate it if some of you knowledgable jeep-people
> could offer your opinions on these:
>
> 1) What is a "Rear Main Seal". How important is a leak in one? Is it
> worth over $400 to fix?

It is what shops that don't first check the valve cover for leaking
will change rather than replacing the valve cover.

> 2) What is the transmissions "Transfer Case Seal"? How important is a
> leak in it? Is it worth over $300 to fix?

IF your valve cover has been replace by someone who knows how to tell
the difference between a genuine rear seal leak and a valve cover
leak, and you then would need to replace the rear seal, might as
well get this one done at the same time.

> 3) What is an "Induction Flush" how important is it? Is it worth approx
> $150 to have done?

"Injection cleaner ? If it has never been done *and* you have
a preoblem indicating a possibly dirty injector, it could be
worth doing. Otherwise it is a really good profit center for
the shop.

Old July 9th 05, 07:15 PM
Lon

Mike Romain proclaimed:

> Stephen Cowell wrote:

>>>This is a giant bottle of snake oil. You can buy a few small bottles of
>>>snake oil at the auto parts store and pour one in with every fill up for the
>>>next several weeks.

>>Or just use Chevron gasoline... Shell gas also has
>>the high-tech additives in it now. This is one service
>>you don't need... major boondoggle.
>>__
>>Steve
>>.

> I just tried a tank of that Shell 91 octane super crap on a trip and my
> engine went insane!

Since Bush Gas, I haven't been able to run Texaco, Chevron, or Shell
regular in a 95 4.0 without mild ping. Recently the local Valero
station ran out of midgrade, and it seems that their regular will
actually run without ping.
Old July 9th 05, 08:28 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

In my old drag racing days we had to double the size of the jets to
run straight alcohol. So it stands to reason to effectively use an
alcohol blend like ARCO uses out here in Kalifornia, we would need to
use more product to compensate, or it would run like it was lean.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old July 9th 05, 09:26 PM
Will Honea

I can show records for multiple vehicles over the last 15 years or so
that show a consistent 10% drop in mileage for the 6 months or so we
are required to use the blended stuff here. That's a composite of
long highway miles and local puddle jumping. In the short term, the
same figures seem to hold true when I fill up with the blend in
Colorado to drive to Texas. I get a consistent 10% decrease no matter
which octane level I choose in my 88 4.0. Funy part is that going
south and east the prevailing winds are out of the NNW so I'm going
downhil with a tailwind on the way down while on the return I have a
headwind going uphill - and still get better mileage!

Corn likker is for drinking, not driving.

--
Will Honea
Old July 9th 05, 09:36 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I'll drink to that!
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Will Honea wrote:

> I can show records for multiple vehicles over the last 15 years or so
> that show a consistent 10% drop in mileage for the 6 months or so we
> are required to use the blended stuff here. That's a composite of
> long highway miles and local puddle jumping. In the short term, the
> same figures seem to hold true when I fill up with the blend in
> Colorado to drive to Texas. I get a consistent 10% decrease no matter
> which octane level I choose in my 88 4.0. Funy part is that going
> south and east the prevailing winds are out of the NNW so I'm going
> downhil with a tailwind on the way down while on the return I have a
> headwind going uphill - and still get better mileage!
>
> Corn likker is for drinking, not driving.
> --
> Will Honea

Got to love that HEMI. Here is some info on it. In our Dodge and Jeep Scott S. Dodge 0 March 31st 05 10:36 AM
What is a TJ? Brian Foster Jeep 23 January 22nd 05 06:06 AM
Jeep VS others Elliot Westcott Chrysler 64 December 19th 04 02:22 PM
Additional repairs when changing timing belt-- advisable? jbourgeois Honda 3 October 29th 04 07:07 PM