96 Stratus dies when driven on highway...help PLEASE!

Old October 10th 05, 06:01 AM
Margie Tremblay

Default 96 Stratus dies when driven on highway...help PLEASE!

Hi all....I tried posting earlier today but seems it got lost in space
so I'll try again.

My daughter's 96 Stratus has had to be towed 2 times in the past 3
weeks. Seems it runs okay around town but when she ventures onto a
highway (warming the car up good) it sputters and dies after a while and
cannot be started again until it's cooled down real good.

My son is trying to help her out...not a mechanic but can fix things
once he knows what to look for. He had done a tune up on the
car...plugs, wires, etc...oil change and new anti freeze. Thought it
could be head gasket but no water seems to be in the oil.

My daughter is a single Mom with not much money to be contantly paying
for the wrong parts. Any ideas what might be causing this?

Please...anyone?? You guys seem very knowledgable here....Hope to see
some input when I check back in the morning.

Thanks so much,
Marge

Old October 10th 05, 07:11 AM
Wrench007 via CarKB.com

Since similar problems exist It is hard to diagnose a problem without
first running a few test.
Having said that -
You seem to think that the problem occurs when the vehicle is warmed up,
but driving it around town would make the car warmer than the highway driving,
so I think you are misled. Highway driving requires the engine to have a
constant supply of fuel, which I believe to be your problem is the engine
being starved of FUEL due to a dying FUEL pump located in the fuel tank,
replace the fuel filter too , which is tucked up and to the back of the fuel
tank. (The fuel filter is only replaced in this model when the fuel pump is
being serviced)--J

Old October 12th 05, 04:35 AM
Margie Tremblay

Thanks so much....looks like a new fuel pump is the next step...

Margie

LIDAR Trial this Week [email protected] Driving 17 April 9th 06 02:44 AM
2001 Dodge Stratus R/T and 2001 Eclipse GT Dodge 2 April 23rd 05 05:58 AM
GTP Lives!!! Steve Smith Simulators 20 February 14th 05 04:59 AM
2000 dodge stratus dies when i stop hedsic6 Dodge 6 October 23rd 04 05:40 PM