Sterring vibration - a particular nuisance

Old December 21st 04, 12:14 AM
John

Default Sterring vibration - a particular nuisance

My brother-in-law has '65 Vette convertible. It has a vibration
situation recently - the car
shakes only @ 50-55 mph. He says; it can be felt thru the seat & the
steering column.

He's had a garage tell him, his manual 4-spd.transmission needs to be
rebuilt for $2500; but, they won't guarantee that to be a fix.

He had this car restored (trans., too) about 8 years ago, & asked me; if
I knew where to ask for information.

Do you know who I might be able to contact; this particular
nuisance?

Thanks, John

*** Sent via http://www.automationtools.com ***
Add a newsgroup interface to your website today.
Old December 21st 04, 12:23 AM
Tom

As John < stated so eloquently:

> My brother-in-law has '65 Vette convertible. It has a vibration
> situation recently - the car
> shakes only @ 50-55 mph. He says; it can be felt thru the seat & the
> steering column.
>
> He's had a garage tell him, his manual 4-spd.transmission needs to be
> rebuilt for $2500; but, they won't guarantee that to be a fix.
>
> He had this car restored (trans., too) about 8 years ago, & asked me;

if
> I knew where to ask for information.
>
> Do you know who I might be able to contact; this particular
> nuisance?
>
> Thanks, John

Tire balance?
Bent driveshaft?

Never heard of a manual tranny causing front end(steering wheel)
vibration.

--
Tom

"That man is richest whose pleasures are cheapest."
-Henry Thoreau
Old December 21st 04, 12:23 AM
Tom

Old December 21st 04, 12:37 AM
Dad

"John >" > wrote in message
> My brother-in-law has '65 Vette convertible. It has a vibration
> situation recently - the car
> shakes only @ 50-55 mph. He says; it can be felt thru the seat & the
> steering column.
>
>He's had a garage tell him, his manual 4-spd.transmission needs to be
>rebuilt for $2500; but, they won't guarantee that to be a fix.

Take it to a frame and axel shop, sounds more like a balance, alignment, bad
tire, and/or neglect, when was the last time it had a 4 wheel alignment?
They will be able to check the u-joints also. Don't you think it strange
that it can be felt in the steering column and the seat but he says nothing
about it being felt through the shifter? If he has 5,000 miles on it a 1/4
of a mile at a time or 100,000 normal driving then I would maybe think about
looking at the 4 speed.

--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

Old December 21st 04, 12:37 AM
Dad

Old December 21st 04, 01:35 AM
StingRay

"John >" > wrote in message
> My brother-in-law has '65 Vette convertible. It has a vibration
> situation recently - the car
> shakes only @ 50-55 mph. He says; it can be felt thru the seat & the
> steering column.
>
> He's had a garage tell him, his manual 4-spd.transmission needs to be
> rebuilt for $2500; but, they won't guarantee that to be a fix.
>
> He had this car restored (trans., too) about 8 years ago, & asked me; if
> I knew where to ask for information.
>
> Do you know who I might be able to contact; this particular
> nuisance?
>
> Thanks, John

John, the fact that it "shakes only @ 50-55 mph" is a strong indicator that
it is a wheel balance problem. Wheels out of balance are prone to cause
vibrations at only certain speeds. That wouldn't be the case with a tranny
problem. - StingRay

Old December 21st 04, 01:35 AM
StingRay

Old December 21st 04, 02:32 AM
WayneC

John < wrote:
> My brother-in-law has '65 Vette convertible. It has a vibration
> situation recently - the car
> shakes only @ 50-55 mph. He says; it can be felt thru the seat & the
> steering column.
>
> He's had a garage tell him, his manual 4-spd.transmission needs to be
> rebuilt for $2500; but, they won't guarantee that to be a fix.
>
> He had this car restored (trans., too) about 8 years ago, & asked me; if
> I knew where to ask for information.
>
> Do you know who I might be able to contact; this particular
> nuisance?
>
> Thanks, John
>
> *** Sent via http://www.automationtools.com ***
> Add a newsgroup interface to your website today.

Tell him to take it up to 60 or 65mph, then shift into neutral... if he
still gets the shake passing through 50-55mph (especially if it
currently shakes while driving steady speed 50-55mph rather than only
while accelerating or decelerating through that range) it's most likely
in the tires, possibly the steering linkages, or the driveshaft. The
fact that he feels it most in the steering wheel means it's most likely
a front wheel issue. Swapping the front & rear wheels might be telling
as well, if the shake changes to a different feel. I'd start with the
front tires & wheels and find a well-respected tire shop to check them
out (balance or out of round, it may be something as simple as he's
thrown a wheel balance weight), then maybe find a shop that can balance
a driveshaft.
Old December 21st 04, 02:32 AM
WayneC

Old December 21st 04, 03:00 AM
John Smith

Check the universal joint at the front by the transmission. I had what
you describe and it was the front universal joint.