Gas milage

Old March 21st 05, 03:14 PM
Dirty Ditch Dawg

Default Gas milage

went for a 300 mile trip over the mountains, this weekend,
when i first got my 90YJ i was getting 21mpg, (300 miles a tank) 14gal.
put in a power steering pump,
gas milage went to 17mpg (around 250 a tank.)

this trip,
14mpg (220 miles a tank.)

same tires, new plugs,distributer wires,

havnt done anything to motor except the alternator trouble a few weeks
ago,
any ideas?

thanks,
johnp
be nice to get back up to 18-20mpg,

Old March 21st 05, 03:31 PM
Paw

i wish i could help you..... my mpg for the 98 cherokee went from 17 city
driving to 12.5 city driving over the last 2 months.... waiting til warmer
weather to root around... no idea as to why...

ups.com...

Old March 21st 05, 04:56 PM
XS11E

"Paw" > wrote in :

> i wish i could help you..... my mpg for the 98 cherokee went from
> 17 city driving to 12.5 city driving over the last 2 months....
> waiting til warmer weather to root around... no idea as to why...

Throw in a new set of spark plugs and see what happens. Test the plug
wires* and replace them if needed.

*Easy plug wire test: open hood on a dark night with the engine
running, the fuzzy blue glow and arcs around the plug wires is NOT a
good thing!

Old March 21st 05, 09:02 PM
Danny

XS11E wrote:
> "Paw" > wrote in :
>

>>i wish i could help you..... my mpg for the 98 cherokee went from
>>17 city driving to 12.5 city driving over the last 2 months....
>>waiting til warmer weather to root around... no idea as to why...

> Throw in a new set of spark plugs and see what happens. Test the plug
> wires* and replace them if needed.
>

> *Easy plug wire test: open hood on a dark night with the engine
> running, the fuzzy blue glow and arcs around the plug wires is NOT a
> good thing!

I had a look at my '97 cherokee 4.0l and can't see how to take no:1
plug out without removing anything else. It looks tight in there
behind the alternator or compressor (I can't remember which).

--
Regards,
Danny

http://www.gaggia-espresso.com (a purely hobby site)
http://www.dannyscoffee.com (UK advert for my mobile espresso service)
http://www.malabargold.co.uk (UK/European online ordering for Malabar
Gold blend)
swap Z for above characters in email address to reply

Old March 21st 05, 09:26 PM
ElAlumbrado

"Paw" > wrote

>i wish i could help you..... my mpg for the 98 cherokee went from 17
>city driving to 12.5 city driving over the last 2 months.... waiting
>til warmer weather to root around... no idea as to why...

I have a 4-cylinder 2001 Wrangler that has have *never* gotten more than
15mpg on it's best day. I love the Wrangler, but this little engine is
so underpowered that it works flat-out at highway speeds (which in this
vehicle max-out at about 65-70 on flat ground with no headwind).

My advice to prospective Wrangler owners is to buy the 6-cylinder. The
I-4 is fine for around-town driving, but it is just not enough engine
for this vehicle if you ever plan to use it on the highway.

El Alumbrado
"Civis Texanus Sum"

Old March 21st 05, 10:20 PM
XS11E

Danny > wrote in
:

> I had a look at my '97 cherokee 4.0l and can't see how to take
> no:1 plug out without removing anything else. It looks tight in
> there behind the alternator or compressor (I can't remember
> which).

That's why they make TNT, it'll take out the plug!

Seriously, I drive a Grand Cherokee V8, I traded in my Wagoneer 4.0 for
it some years back and I honestly can't recall where the plugs are on
the six. If it's behind the compressor, it's possible that you can
fool around with extensions and "U" joints to reach it maybe? One
other trick that sometimes works on plugs that are hidden is to use the
old type sheet metal wrench thingy that has the holes in the side where
you stick a screwdriver to turn it, they sometimes fit where sockets
won't.

Old March 21st 05, 10:56 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Some ideas: http://www.billhughes.com/sparksocket.jpg
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O

Old March 21st 05, 11:11 PM
Paw

It's tight, but they're all accessible w/out removing anything. Pic by bill
is correct.

Old March 21st 05, 11:40 PM
David Rhodes

I have a 02 Wrangler Sport with the straight 6 and I was only getting about
12.2 mpg on combined city and hwy driving mostly to work. I replaced the air
filter for the first time at 32K miles and now get 14.15 mpg doing the same
type of driving. It is only supposed to get 15-17 anyway, but has never done
that from the day I bought it almost 3 years ago.

David

Old March 21st 05, 11:49 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Have you performed the normal maintenance:
http://www.billhughes.com/lubeschedule.pdf
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O

Dirty Ditch Dawg wrote:

> went for a 300 mile trip over the mountains, this weekend,
> when i first got my 90YJ i was getting 21mpg, (300 miles a tank) 14gal.
> put in a power steering pump,
> gas milage went to 17mpg (around 250 a tank.)
>
> this trip,
> 14mpg (220 miles a tank.)
>
> same tires, new plugs,distributer wires,
>
> havnt done anything to motor except the alternator trouble a few weeks
> ago,
> any ideas?
>
> thanks,
> johnp
> be nice to get back up to 18-20mpg,

92 nissan pickup gas milage Wwj2110 4x4 3 October 13th 04 03:16 AM
Gas milage in a 1990 Civic Terry Honda 0 October 4th 04 05:44 PM
2003 Civic Gas Milage Pars Honda 2 October 3rd 04 10:23 PM
2003 Stratus 2.4L Bad Milage. Why? NDA Dodge 20 April 20th 04 03:34 PM