Anybody know of a good diagnostic scanner/code reader

Old April 17th 07, 02:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
ajk170

Default Anybody know of a good diagnostic scanner/code reader

I am hoping that some of you might have some suggestions about a good
diagnostic scanner/code reader for my 2002 LS 6 speed. Not that it
matters, but it has everything on her but a rear spoiler and the 6
disc changer. I'm not 100% certain (I'm sure another enthusiast can
set me straight) but I think she is the next best thing to the limited
edition. I throw that out there in case the 6 speed had peculiarities
from the 5 speeds.

Point is, I found the "specific" diagnostic codes from another post
(http://www.miata.net/garage/obdii.html) and I want to find a good
scanner/code reader to suit my DIY needs (I may show my ignorance
since I am not certain if there is a difference between a scanner and
a code reader). Some criteria for the scanner/code reader - 1) price
range ~$100-$300 (I tend to think the higher the price the better the
quality and I realize these things can easily exceed $3K) 2) ease of
use (I am more of a craftsman than a mechanic, but I do know my way
around a wrench and socket) 3) upgradeable (via software downloads/
patches etc) 4) needs to show the "specific" fault codes more than
just emission fault codes (I think what I'm seeing at this price
range is emission only and very general fault tools- I would like
something that shows me the actual Mazda "P" codes that I found at the
above link) 5) it would be nice to be compatible with Subaru and
Hyundai (Those are my other cars).

This maybe unrealistic at such a low price, but maybe somebody out
there knows of such a tool or a suitable "work-around". As such, I'm
willing to bend on a few of those qualifiers. I found several devices
from a simple Google and Amazon.com searche. A few such devices a
the Equas 3100 Innova Diagnostic Code Reader, Acutron CP9180 Scanner,
and the AutoXray 2500. All seem to get decent reviews (albeit limited
in the scope of the review), but I am a bit suspicious that they will
not be able to read the "specific codes" ("P1000" +). I went to
Actron's (www.actron.com) and its sister website, AutoXray
(www.autoxray.com), and tried to plug in a few of the "P1000" series
codes to see if they register on the website. Alas, they did not, but
I cannot be conclusive since I am not 100% certain if the lack of
those codes registering on the respective websites mean the scanners/
code readers themselves cannot detect the fault codes. I emailed the
Actron manufacturer (17 APR) and included the "specific" fault codes
but have not heard back from them as of yet.

Lastly, I found a Snap-On scanner the Solus and what appears to be a
European scanner Launch Tech X-431. But the lack of price tags
suggests these are into the $1K + range which is not for me.

I appreciate any info any of you can share on this, if there has
already been discussions on this topic, any threads leading to the
discussion is appreciated as well!

Thanks in advance!

Drew

Old April 17th 07, 04:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
John McGaw

ajk170 wrote:
> [...]
> Actron's (www.actron.com) and its sister website, AutoXray
> (www.autoxray.com), and tried to plug in a few of the "P1000" series
> codes to see if they register on the website. Alas, they did not, but
> I cannot be conclusive since I am not 100% certain if the lack of
> those codes registering on the respective websites mean the scanners/
> code readers themselves cannot detect the fault codes. I emailed the
> Actron manufacturer (17 APR) and included the "specific" fault codes
> but have not heard back from them as of yet.
>
> Lastly, I found a Snap-On scanner the Solus and what appears to be a
> European scanner Launch Tech X-431. But the lack of price tags
> suggests these are into the $1K + range which is not for me.
>
> I appreciate any info any of you can share on this, if there has
> already been discussions on this topic, any threads leading to the

This is the one I've been looking at: http://www.scangage.com/

I have no experience with it and can't say how closely it matches your
needs (other than price) but the concept looks good and I've not seen
any negative reports about it. The ability to use it as a trip computer
as well as a diagnostic tool is what makes it attractive to me.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
Old April 17th 07, 07:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chuck

The Scan Gage trip function is a bit hard to use, and getting the tank to
empty reading to be correct is confusing.
Other than that, the unit does not show data items that are available with
some of the inexpensive (under $200) units that use a laptop.
It is small and convenient, and is useful in diagnosing transient or
intermittent codes, and can be semi perminently mounted with velcro.

Old April 17th 07, 09:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
ajk170

On Apr 17, 2:12 pm, "Chuck" > wrote:
> [...]

> > > but have not heard back from them as of yet.

> > > Lastly, I found a Snap-On scanner the Solus and what appears to be a
> > > European scanner Launch Tech X-431. But the lack of price tags
> > > suggests these are into the $1K + range which is not for me.

> > > I appreciate any info any of you can share on this, if there has
> > > already been discussions on this topic, any threads leading to the
> > > discussion is appreciated as well!

> > > Thanks in advance!

> > > Drew

> > This is the one I've been looking at:http://www.scangage.com/

> > I have no experience with it and can't say how closely it matches your
> > needs (other than price) but the concept looks good and I've not seen
> > any negative reports about it. The ability to use it as a trip computer
> > as well as a diagnostic tool is what makes it attractive to me.

Thanks John-

I will have to take a closer look at that one! I would think that
somebody would just design a cable interface to an actual laptop and
create a program that would run on the laptop rather than a these
seperate little handheld devices. I guess that would be too easy for
the DIYs!

-Drew

Old April 17th 07, 10:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
John McGaw

ajk170 wrote:
> On Apr 17, 2:12 pm, "Chuck" > wrote:
>> The Scan Gage trip function is a bit hard to use, and getting the tank to
>> empty reading to be correct is confusing.
>> Other than that, the unit does not show data items that are available with
>> some of the inexpensive (under $200) units that use a laptop.
>> It is small and convenient, and is useful in diagnosing transient or
>> intermittent codes, and can be semi perminently mounted with velcro.

>>> This is the one I've been looking at:http://www.scangage.com/
>>> I have no experience with it and can't say how closely it matches your
>>> needs (other than price) but the concept looks good and I've not seen
>>> any negative reports about it. The ability to use it as a trip computer
>>> as well as a diagnostic tool is what makes it attractive to me.
>>> --
>>> John McGaw
>>> [Knoxville, TN, USA]
>>> http://johnmcgaw.com- Hide quoted text -

> Thanks John-
>
> I will have to take a closer look at that one! I would think that
> somebody would just design a cable interface to an actual laptop and
> create a program that would run on the laptop rather than a these
> seperate little handheld devices. I guess that would be too easy for
> the DIYs!
>
> -Drew

I didn't realize that you wanted to hook up your laptop since you asked
about stand-alone devices. There are a lot of products to do that job. A
simple Google search for "computer ODB interface cable" (without the
quotes of course) turns up more results than I am willing to wade
through. You can even get a Bluetooth interface to do the job wirelessly
if you care to. Again, I haven't used any of these but they are
certainly out there.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
Old April 17th 07, 11:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chuck

Two possible sources for OBD2 to laptop with laptop software.
http://www.obd2allinone.com/sc/details.asp?item=obd2usb

http://www.obd-2.com
Alex Pepper has had his units and software on the market for some time.

Old April 24th 07, 06:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
ajk170

On Apr 18, 1:04 am, John McGaw > wrote:
> ajk170 wrote:
> > On Apr 17, 2:12 pm, "Chuck" > wrote:
> >> The Scan Gage trip function is a bit hard to use, and getting the tank to
> >> empty reading to be correct is confusing.
> >> Other than that, the unit does not show data items that are available with
> >> some of the inexpensive (under $200) units that use a laptop.
> >> It is small and convenient, and is useful in diagnosing transient or
> >> intermittent codes, and can be semi perminently mounted with velcro.

> >> "John McGaw" > wrote in message

> . ..

> > Thanks John-

> > I will have to take a closer look at that one! I would think that
> > somebody would just design a cable interface to an actual laptop and
> > create a program that would run on the laptop rather than a these
> > seperate little handheld devices. I guess that would be too easy for
> > the DIYs!

> > -Drew

> I didn't realize that you wanted to hook up your laptop since you asked
> about stand-alone devices. There are a lot of products to do that job. A
> simple Google search for "computer ODB interface cable" (without the
> quotes of course) turns up more results than I am willing to wade
> through. You can even get a Bluetooth interface to do the job wirelessly
> if you care to. Again, I haven't used any of these but they are
> certainly out there.
>
> --
> John McGaw
> [Knoxville, TN, USA]http://johnmcgaw.com- Hide quoted text -

John,

I didn't even think about the idea of a PC and software - which seems
like it would be a much better idea rather than a stand alone. I'm
trying to wade through the different things that are out there now!
You're right, there certainly is alot out there to go through!

Thanks for the tips!

Drew