Spare Tire Relocation

Old April 18th 07, 12:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Aardvark J. Bandersnatch, MYOFB

Default Spare Tire Relocation

Greetings and Felicitations!

Due to the death of my wife's beater, we are now happy owners of an '03
Shinsen (#711). We got it at wholesale price (local to central Indiana).
I've been doing a little research and reading about the various things that
can be done (and some that should be done) to improve this nice little car.

The first thing on the agenda is getting a roll bar. We've decided on the
Hard Dog Deuce (side brace). Their claim is that their roll bar provides
room for "full use" of both soft and hard tops. Can anyone verify this
claim?

The second item is a hard top. From what I've read, the best bet is to get
the OEM hardtop through the local dealership (who've been very nice,
thankuveramuch). Apparently the OEM version fits better, holds paint better,
doesn't leak (quite so awfully). Is this pretty much correct?

***
This afternoon I read some articles from the late 90's about moving the
spare tire from the trunk to the area beneath the trunk-- necessitating
re-route of exhaust. Is this possible, practicable, or a darn-good-thing for
an '03 MX-5? There's a local exhaust shop that I know would be quite happy
to help with this, if recommended.
***

Any comments, hints, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old April 18th 07, 12:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chuck

The Dealer wants a lot of money for a new Hard top. Advantage/ Disadvantage
is that it will need paint to match by someone.
Used top -- About $800-1200 for a good one. May or may not be correct color.
If not add cost to paint.
03 latch difference may require replacing the front latches on an older top.
I haven't researched this.
Older tops have an all black interior. A new top can be ordered with a tan
variation (Haven't seen one to comment on appearance.)
Older tops may or may not have a rear window heater element. You may need
to change the connector.

m...

Old April 18th 07, 02:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Grant Edwards

On 2007-04-17, Aardvark J. Bandersnatch, MYOFB > wrote:

> The first thing on the agenda is getting a roll bar. We've decided on the
> Hard Dog Deuce (side brace). Their claim is that their roll bar provides
> room for "full use" of both soft and hard tops. Can anyone verify this
> claim?

Yes. I've got one on my 2003 and my brother has one on his
1996. No problems with hard top or soft top.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! You can't hurt me!!
at I have an ASSUMABLE
Old April 18th 07, 02:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Grant Edwards

On 2007-04-17, Chuck > wrote:

> 03 latch difference may require replacing the front latches on an older top.
> I haven't researched this.

I have, and I've done it. It's easy as long as you don't break
off a screw.

> Older tops have an all black interior. A new top can be ordered with a tan
> variation (Haven't seen one to comment on appearance.)
> Older tops may or may not have a rear window heater element. You may need
> to change the connector.

He will if it's an older top. I haven't ever gotten around to
that...

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! When you get your
at PH.D. will you get able to
Old April 18th 07, 06:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Aardvark J. Bandersnatch, MYOFB

Thanks, Grant!

Old April 19th 07, 05:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

> ***
> This afternoon I read some articles from the late 90's about moving the
> spare tire from the trunk to the area beneath the trunk-- necessitating
> re-route of exhaust. Is this possible, practicable, or a darn-good-thing
> for an '03 MX-5? There's a local exhaust shop that I know would be quite
> happy to help with this, if recommended.
> ***
>
>I could be wrong but I think most of the spare tire relocation issues are
>with the NA cars (90 to 97) as the spare sat 'in' the trunk and once it was
>out, the trunk was really opened up a bit and measurably more useful. The
>NB spare is down in it's own little circular depression and while you might
>be able to utilize that space for something, I don't think it would be real
>helpful. Also, I'm thinking it resides in the approximate area that the old
>NA spare was typically relocated to. Like I said, I could be wrong but I
>don't think I've read about relocating the NB spare. Some do subscribe to
>the theory that a can of fix-a-flat is just about as good and saves some
>weight (I like a real spare).

Chris
99BBB

Old April 20th 07, 05:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

"Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote in message

>> ***
>> This afternoon I read some articles from the late 90's about moving the
>> spare tire from the trunk to the area beneath the trunk-- necessitating
>> re-route of exhaust. Is this possible, practicable, or a darn-good-thing
>> for an '03 MX-5? There's a local exhaust shop that I know would be quite
>> happy to help with this, if recommended.
>> ***
>>
>>I could be wrong but I think most of the spare tire relocation issues are
>>with the NA cars (90 to 97) as the spare sat 'in' the trunk and once it
>>was out, the trunk was really opened up a bit and measurably more useful.
>>The NB spare is down in it's own little circular depression and while you
>>might be able to utilize that space for something, I don't think it would
>>be real helpful. Also, I'm thinking it resides in the approximate area
>>that the old NA spare was typically relocated to. Like I said, I could be
>>wrong but I don't think I've read about relocating the NB spare. Some do
>>subscribe to the theory that a can of fix-a-flat is just about as good and
>>saves some weight (I like a real spare).

> Chris
> 99BBB

After a little research, I found out exactly what you said about the NA-NB
change. It's nice to know I won't have to work this mod! Like you, I prefer
a real spare to a can of solvent.

Thanks, Chris.

Spare tire carrier Carl Jeep 6 October 7th 05 05:00 AM
03 spare tire john Jeep 9 October 6th 05 04:17 PM
spare tire John Smith Ford Explorer 14 July 7th 05 07:57 PM
spare tire jack? soni29 Honda 2 December 15th 04 05:30 PM