1975 Cherokee 360; oil jetting out of filter

Old August 7th 06, 11:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Kirby

Default 1975 Cherokee 360; oil jetting out of filter

Just inserted a rebuilt 360 into my 75 Jeep Cherokee. Started up
great; except oil jets out of the top of the oil filter at the rate of
about a pint a second. My suspicion is that the oil pressure relief
valve is not opening. What accentuates my suspicion is that the
previous build did not have the valve installed...there was just a
spring in the sleeve where the valve goes.

Is this a known issue? Is it common to not install the bypass valve?
Or, is there something wrong with the cylinder in my oil pump where the
bypass valve sits? Or do you think there's something else wrong
entirely?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Cheers

Old August 8th 06, 01:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III[_1_]

Hi Kirby,
Very common problem. The relief piston is still in the external
pump assembly, just smashed enough to jam it by a combination of bad
motor mount, and missing spring bump stop that causes the engine to
bottom out on the differential.
http://www.bulltear.com/catalog/prod...fe68b9b8153bf0
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old August 8th 06, 06:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Kirby

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the help and quick reply. It's much appreciated. I just
wanted verify to make sure I understand: you're suggesting that I
replace the oil pump to oil filter adaptor and install a new bypass
valve and spring because most likely the old plunger is stuck down in
my current oil filter adaptor. Thanks again for the quick advice.

Old August 8th 06, 06:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

Is the pressure relief valve a pan dump or a filter bypass valve?

If it isn't installed, it is my belief that the oil pressure will be
almost 0 if it is a pan dump type and 'normal' if it is a filter bypass
valve.

I have only seen this valve used once and that was on a V8 Chevy
engine. The owner had never changed the oil and the filter was
blocked. His pressure spiked to 80 or so, then dropped way down but
kept some, then spiked, etc....

I do not think the bypass valve is there to adjust pressure, only as a
fail-safe for a blocked filter.

I would be suspecting something is blocking the output on the filter or
just you have a bad filter gasket.

The blockage could have been the reason the previous owner pulled the
valve to try and stop the oil bypassing the filter via it's O ring
gasket....

Isn't there some issue with getting the pump gear on the correct side to
the front or the oil pressure goes crazy and/or the cam doesn't get
oiled?

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old August 8th 06, 10:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III[_1_]

Yup.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old August 8th 06, 11:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW

Kirby wrote:
> Just inserted a rebuilt 360 into my 75 Jeep Cherokee. Started up
> great; except oil jets out of the top of the oil filter at the rate of
> about a pint a second. My suspicion is that the oil pressure relief
> valve is not opening. What accentuates my suspicion is that the
> previous build did not have the valve installed...there was just a
> spring in the sleeve where the valve goes.

Sure you don't have two gaskets stuck in there by accident?
That will sure make a mess.

--
DougW

Old August 9th 06, 04:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Kirby

Problem solved: the old bypass valve plunge was still stuck down in the
filter adaptor. When I put the new one in it was sitting on top of the
old one so that the oil had no where to go once it got into the filter.
Whoops. Runs great now.

Old August 9th 06, 04:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

May I ask who 'rebuilt' that engine?

If it was 'professionally' done, well... I would sure be worried about
the quality of that 'rebuild'. Starting up a dry engine will destroy it
in minutes if not seconds.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old August 9th 06, 05:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Earle Horton[_1_]

It would be prudent to replace the filter adaptor, just so your new plunger
can mate with a new bore and experience longer service life.

Earle

ps.com...

Old August 9th 06, 10:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III[_1_]

You're lucky the oil filter can didn't blow off fifty miles from no
where. Probably the main reason the V8s have disappeared. Replace the
bump stop on that side.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Air filter and mpg. tomkanpa Chrysler 57 September 25th 05 07:32 AM
k&n air filter Michael price Ford Mustang 26 September 21st 05 12:01 AM
warman i am surprised you mix oil [email protected] Ford Mustang 5 May 8th 05 04:04 AM
oil filter question Ron B. Ford Explorer 4 December 31st 04 08:21 PM
Oil question What the manual says, vs. what Dad says. TSMANGOD Saturn 33 October 24th 04 06:45 AM