Does this sound right?

Old January 20th 05, 09:56 PM
Tony Bad

Default Does this sound right?

As I posted before, my VW dealer is running an oil consumption test on my 02
Jetta 2.0. At about 45 to 50K it began using more oil than before. It had
used 1/3 to 1/2 a quart every 1000 miles since new, but more recently had
begun using almost 1 quart per thousand.

So...VW starts the test, changes oil, and tells me to come back in 1000
miles. I do so, and see that only about 6 ounces of oil are needed to fill
again. I also see that the guy is adding Castrol 10W40 fossil oil, instead
of the 5W40 that is recommended, or 5W30 synthetic I have been using since
early on. I ask him if that is what they put in when they did pre-test oil
change, and he doesn't really answer. Never mind they charged me for
synthetic but may have given me regular oil...my bigger issue is why would
they use a thicker oil to run this test?

Wouldn't this automatically reduce oil consumption of the type that plagues
these engines?

It seems like they aren't really running a fair test here. I am not anxious
for a ring job by any means, but switching a variable like this seems rather
dishonest.

Does anyone know if this is how these tests are normally run?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

--
Tony Bad
--------------

02 Jetta Wagon
01 Eurovan MV
91 Jetta 1.6 Diesel
86 Jetta
79 Rabbit 1.5 Diesel (semi-retired for now)
Schwinn Continental 10 Speed
Radio Flyer Pedal Car (my daughter made me add this)

GPL Sound problems continued Uwe Schürkamp Simulators 13 January 4th 05 01:33 AM
2001 Jetta - Grinding Sound w/ Engine dnilsson VW water cooled 6 December 14th 04 09:36 PM
Strange sound KoStAhR Alfa Romeo 0 August 31st 04 11:07 PM
Jingling sound from leaf spring shackle dcbryan 4x4 5 July 5th 04 06:47 PM