Battery In The Trunk

Old August 28th 05, 12:12 AM
teem

Default Battery In The Trunk

Who started this?,I KNOW when the time comes,it's going to be a major
bitch to take all the junk out of the trunk just to fnd out what the
deal is.
Old August 28th 05, 01:14 AM
blah blah

In article >, sturg57
@sbcglobal.net says...
> Who started this?,I KNOW when the time comes,it's going to be a major
> bitch to take all the junk out of the trunk just to fnd out what the
> deal is.

As opposed to moving all the junk covering it under the hood?
Old August 28th 05, 02:16 AM
Art

One reason to put it there is too keep it cool so it lasts longer. My 300M
has its battery in the wheel well and after 6 years I decided to replace it
even though it was fine. In NC batteries usually last 4 or 5 years tops.

Old August 28th 05, 05:15 AM
marx404

oh teem... :-)

old school street rod racers back in the early '50s were some of the 1st to
put batteries in the trunk to separate the battery from the engine heat and
ease maintenance. Older manufacturers also did this for the same reasons.
(really, the only drawback to this is attenuation, Saturn could have used a
more poweful alternator and thincker wiring going to the battery to keep the
battery fully charged).

As far as the ION, I have seen it used as a favorite of audio junkies
because of the battery making power hookup so easy. APC and a few others
have been using an ION for audio sales displays at NOPI shows lately.

hey, so put all your cr*p on the backseat or buy a small trailer if it
really bothers you, lol.

marx404

Old August 28th 05, 05:59 AM
Oppie

If charging voltage drop is the issue, run the alternator output and voltage
sense lines to the battery. Run the power feed to the fuss box from the
battery. This compensates charging voltage for any voltage drops. Need 4
gauge wire or heavier to support the starter. Also a good idea to run a
heavy wire for the - line too since there is no good chasis connection.

Old August 30th 05, 02:48 AM
James1549

<<old school street rod racers back in the early '50s were some of the
1st to
put batteries in the trunk to separate the battery from the engine heat
and
ease maintenance. >>

The battery was put in the trunk for weight distribution. More weight
towards the rear had better traction.

James

Old August 30th 05, 03:40 AM
teem

I was just implymenting a form of murphys law,& being sarcastic,I
thought Saturn did this just to be cool & different.Just take out
contents in the trunk & finding out the batterys o.k.,or to check that
green spot,they still use that green spot,right?.On 29 Aug 2005
18:48:05 -0700, "James1549" > wrote:

><<old school street rod racers back in the early '50s were some of the
>1st to
>put batteries in the trunk to separate the battery from the engine heat
>and
>ease maintenance. >>
>
>The battery was put in the trunk for weight distribution. More weight
>towards the rear had better traction.
>
>James

99M3: Unable to enter trunk due to dead battery David Hageman BMW 9 February 17th 05 05:46 AM
new alternator - battery light on, but still charging at 16v? [email protected] Technology 8 February 11th 05 10:38 PM
Soft Touch trunk won't stay closed on 740iL BMW 0 December 29th 04 03:47 PM
battery question Jim Beaver General 14 November 6th 04 10:54 PM
Replacing Corroded Battery Cables for SL1 2000 Chris Gutierrez Saturn 2 June 28th 04 03:40 AM