Lubricant questions... especially for the T-LSD

Old October 16th 04, 11:50 PM
Chief_Wiggum

Default Lubricant questions... especially for the T-LSD

Before someone says RTFM, let me just say..

I DID!

Okay, Just so I know the status of everything, I want to go ahead and change
the oil in the trans, and the rear end on my recently purchased 97 M model.

From what I have read, I assume, being an M it has the Torsen LSD rear end,
although I can't find any concrete verification of that fact.

The manual simply says GL5 gear lube for the diff, and the trans. In every
other car I've had with any type of LSD, I had to add a friction modifier.
Is this necessary for the Miata ?

I'm also planning on running synthetic gear lube in both. Is there any
reason I shouldn't do so ?

The car has had Mobil1 in the engine as far back as the records go, so I'm
going to continue that as well. Although I'm not typically a synthetic
proponent, it seems to make sense for a small, hi-revving engine. Also,
since that's what it has been fed, I'll continue.

What brand of oil filter is good to use though ? (I know enough to stay
away from Fram), but I always used a Motorcraft filter in my other vehicles.
Is an OEM filter the way to go ?

Oh, BTW I did also scan the garage section of Miata.net for these questions,
and wasn't able to find answers.

Thanks, all!

Old October 17th 04, 04:59 AM
Lanny Chambers

In article <_yhcd.65074$Lo6.23289@fed1read03>,
"Chief_Wiggum" > wrote:

> The manual simply says GL5 gear lube for the diff, and the trans. In every
> other car I've had with any type of LSD, I had to add a friction modifier.
> Is this necessary for the Miata ?

No. The Torsen is not a clutch-type LSD like a Positraction.

> I'm also planning on running synthetic gear lube in both. Is there any
> reason I shouldn't do so ?

Nope. I put in fresh Redline every 60,000 miles.

> What brand of oil filter is good to use though ?

Mazda filters are reportedly as good as filters get. Ordered from
Trussville or Finish Line Performance, the price is right, too.

--
Lanny Chambers, St. Louis, USA
'94C
Old October 18th 04, 07:09 AM
KWS

I have been using Proline oil filters in our cars for some time. They are
available at Pep Boys; perhaps other places as well.

Ken

Old October 19th 04, 02:40 AM
Ken Lyons

"Chief_Wiggum" > wrote
> What brand of oil filter is good to use though ?

What the hell, I'll just jump in and add confusion. I've used the OEM Mazda
oil filter exclusively until I recently switched to Purolator PureONE
filters ( PL14612). They appear to be as good as, if not better than the OEM
filters, and have the advantage of being available locally at a reasonable
price. The only way I can buy OEM filters without paying an arm and a leg is
to get them through Trussville.

How many more recommended filters can this newsgroup come up with?
--
Ken Lyons '97 Brilliant Black/'90 Classic Red
Inside the Beltway