intermittent car problem

Old March 18th 04, 08:26 PM
Ribeldi

Me again. Twice since the ignition switch has been replaced, the car
has done the "no crank, no click" thing. (Which means, it does this
once out of every 30 times I start the car, I estimate.)

The first time, after repeated attempts, it finally cranked.

The second time, it cranked after my sister tapped the starter with a
hammer.

I'm about to just get the starter replaced. Can any of you tell me if
the solenoid and the starter are different parts, or is the solenoid
a separate part? and since there's no click, is it the problem?

Thanks,

Ribeldi
Old March 18th 04, 09:52 PM
New Question

"Ribeldi" > wrote in message
om...
> I'm about to just get the starter replaced. Can any of you tell me if
> the solenoid and the starter are different parts, or is the solenoid
> a separate part? and since there's no click, is it the problem?

The starter and the solenoid are two separate parts. The solenoid is the
smaller, cylindrical that sits on top of the starter. You can see them both
by opening your hood, then looking down the side of the radiator towards the
engine.

If the problem is starter related, you probably need one of the three:

(1) Copper contacts for you solenoid
(2) Brushes for your starter
(3) A new starter

Old March 18th 04, 11:26 PM
Dick C

Ribeldi wrote in rec.autos.tech

> Me again. Twice since the ignition switch has been replaced, the car
> has done the "no crank, no click" thing. (Which means, it does this
> once out of every 30 times I start the car, I estimate.)
>
> The first time, after repeated attempts, it finally cranked.
>
> The second time, it cranked after my sister tapped the starter with a
> hammer.
>

> I'm about to just get the starter replaced. Can any of you tell me if
> the solenoid and the starter are different parts, or is the solenoid
> a separate part? and since there's no click, is it the problem?

Since you posted this to numerous groups, including a toyota group,
I will guess you have a toyota. The solenoid is part of the starter
on those, I believe.

--
Dick #1349
Damn it . . . Don't you dare ask God to help me.
Old March 19th 04, 02:10 AM
« Paul »

Ribeldi wrote:

> Me again. Twice since the ignition switch has been replaced, the car
> has done the "no crank, no click" thing. (Which means, it does this
> once out of every 30 times I start the car, I estimate.)
>
> The first time, after repeated attempts, it finally cranked.
>
> The second time, it cranked after my sister tapped the starter with a
> hammer.
>
> I'm about to just get the starter replaced. Can any of you tell me if
> the solenoid and the starter are different parts, or is the solenoid
> a separate part? and since there's no click, is it the problem?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ribeldi

Solenoids and starters are different parts and can be replaced individually.
The source of the problem could just as easily be a dirty wire at the solenoid.