Miata F.S.

Old October 31st 05, 09:47 PM
Alan

Default Miata F.S.

Thanks!

Old November 1st 05, 02:03 AM
Leon van Dommelen

Alan,

[snip]

This is the sort of description you should have posted here when you first
put the ad on e-bay. Someone might have seen it and offered more than you
got. I also think you might have done better on e-bay with a better
description there.

Forgive me for my suspicious nature, but I am not likely to change, though
I will not do it anymore in your case.

>a negative for a $3500 car. If this eBay thing turns into a hassle I'll keep
>the car and trade it in on the new one in the spring. This brings me to a
>question for the group. Does anyone own an '06 here? If so any complaints or
>problems?

It seems a bit early for problems to be noticed; they just started selling
them. For what little it is worth, I drove two briefly in Atlanta at the
Zoom Zoom event there. Some sort of one-brief-lap autocross and a funkhana
(SP ?) lap. As a result, I just paid a $500 deposit this afternoon on a
white "Grand Touring" (geez!) package with suspension package and, of course,
what else, a chrome fuel lid.

> I really want a new Miata, but I can't decide if I like the style
>of the new car better than the second gen.

I do. Especially in the lighter colors white and red. In various
other colors I saw, the fenders stand out too much, if you ask me.

I cannot say that I am very excited about the steering wheel. Mazda
brought us a plain ugly cookie box steering wheel in the first gen,
corrected itself brilliantly with the sharp steering wheel in the M2,
and then regressed again to this "ho-hum, am I driving a Buick?" one
in the M3.

Ideally, Mazda would bring back the "Miata Classic" and drop the 170 hp
engine into it. But that is just not going to happen with increasing
safety standards and norms. The new design is a bigger, stronger Miata
that has managed to keep the weight down to almost exactly the same as before
by the use of sophisticated design combined with extensive use of expensive
light-weight materials and elaborate construction techniques. And it has,
at the same weight, a fair chunk more power.

So, having a Miata that is getting *really, really* old, I decided the new
Miata is still the best up-to-date sports car available, so I got one.

Moreover, I can still rest my arm on the door.

> I want to get to the dealer for a
>test drive, but haven't had time yet. I'm sure the power increase will be a
>welcome advantage over the '90s 1.6 liter but is it really that much better
>than the '05.

Hard for me to be objective, having a supercharged Miata, but it had a
pleasant amount of torque below. I would think, about the same.

Leon

Old November 1st 05, 05:41 PM
pws

Leon van Dommelen wrote:

> It seems a bit early for problems to be noticed; they just started selling
> them. For what little it is worth, I drove two briefly in Atlanta at the
> Zoom Zoom event there. Some sort of one-brief-lap autocross and a funkhana
> (SP ?) lap. As a result, I just paid a $500 deposit this afternoon on a
> white "Grand Touring" (geez!) package with suspension package and, of course,
> what else, a chrome fuel lid.

Congrats! Though I would have probably waited one more year, like I have
the money to buy one then or now anyway. ;-)
Every first miata model has had some sort of problem to be resolved
starting with the introduction model and the possible bad crank keyway.
The first year change-over in 1999 brought us the failed bearing #4 issue.
Hopefully this time will be the exception.

> I cannot say that I am very excited about the steering wheel. Mazda
> brought us a plain ugly cookie box steering wheel in the first gen,
> corrected itself brilliantly with the sharp steering wheel in the M2,
> and then regressed again to this "ho-hum, am I driving a Buick?" one
> in the M3.

I could not agree with this more about the steering wheel. What the hell
were the designers thinking? I wonder if the M2 wheel will work with the
2006 model, probably not.

> Ideally, Mazda would bring back the "Miata Classic" and drop the 170 hp
> engine into it. But that is just not going to happen with increasing
> safety standards and norms. The new design is a bigger, stronger Miata
> that has managed to keep the weight down to almost exactly the same as before
> by the use of sophisticated design combined with extensive use of expensive
> light-weight materials and elaborate construction techniques. And it has,
> at the same weight, a fair chunk more power.
>
> So, having a Miata that is getting *really, really* old, I decided the new
> Miata is still the best up-to-date sports car available, so I got one.
>
> Moreover, I can still rest my arm on the door.

No argument there, though I do like the idea of a fully restored
original as well. Still, the 2006 model is probably less expensive than
doing that.

Pat
Old November 1st 05, 10:06 PM
Iva

"Alan" > wrote in message
> Leon,
> Since there is no word limit I'll give a complete description for those

who
> care. I purchased this car 5 years ago from a dealer in Brick, NJ. The

car
> was advertised in the paper so I stopped in to take a look(they had 3 in
> stock). I was looking for a small sports car that I could use everyday as

> commuter car.

<snippage>

Alan - you might want to post this over on the Lehigh Valley Miata Owners
Club website - there's a section called "Trader Paul's" for selling car
related items. You do not have to be a member of the club to post but we do
encourage you to join. (grin) Particularly since Brick NJ is not that far
away from our base in eastern PA.

We have several members from NJ, including one who used to live in Brick and
is active in Auto-X. The website is at www.lvmoc.net and we're not quite as
tough as Leon. (LOL)

Iva & Belle.)
'90B Classic Red.)