What is a truly versatile 4x4 truck?

Old July 6th 05, 06:40 AM
Roddytoo

Default What is a truly versatile 4x4 truck?

You in the UK? If yes, there is a limit to the length you are permitted to
tow without an HGV type hitch. The type of vehicle I think you are
describing, though it is not at all clear, would not have such a hitch.
Good luck with finding your dream vehicle, I am not sure it exists.

Old July 6th 05, 07:03 AM
Ray Keller

"Roddytoo" > wrote in message
> You in the UK? If yes, there is a limit to the length you are permitted to
> tow without an HGV type hitch. The type of vehicle I think you are
> describing, though it is not at all clear, would not have such a hitch.
> Good luck with finding your dream vehicle, I am not sure it exists.
> "Omega" > wrote in message
>>I need a truck that is versatile.
>>
>> By this, I want to be able to tow 38 ft "toy hauler" (many having ATVs in
>> the
>> back, the American 5th wheel is interesting). So I need to have a towing
>> package and most likely a 1 ton truck (six or eight ft bed). But I also
>> want to
>> be able to have decent fuel economy when I am not towing, thus a diesel
>> and some
>> form of two speed rear axle. But then I do want to be able to go off
>> road as
>> needed.
>>
>> Any suggestions as to what type of truck meets these requirements?
>>

>> ---
>> "If ye love wealth better than liberty ... servitude better than ...
>> freedom,
>> go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsel or your arms ... May
>> your
>> chains set lightly upon you. May posterity forget that ye were our
>> countrymen."
>> - Samuel Adams

Unimog

Old July 6th 05, 07:38 AM
Roddytoo

Old July 6th 05, 02:30 PM
Kevin Moses

Unimog is the solution to EVERYTHING!!!!

Old July 6th 05, 03:57 PM
Ian Rawlings

On 2005-07-06, Ray Keller > wrote:

> Unimog

Pinzgauer 6x6! Unimogs are too big and hungry. A diesel Pinz is pretty good.

--
For every expert, there is an equal but opposite expert
Old July 6th 05, 04:58 PM
Ray Keller

"Ian Rawlings" > wrote in message
> On 2005-07-06, Ray Keller > wrote:
>
>> Unimog

> Pinzgauer 6x6! Unimogs are too big and hungry. A diesel Pinz is pretty
> good.
>
> --
> For every expert, there is an equal but opposite expert

I actualy have driven a penz
A friend of mine has one, A 4x4 troop carrier
4 cyl air cooled gas motor in a 1 ton rated 4x4
Top speed 65 mph empty
great off road as they have lots of suspension travel
I realy like the abillity to lock the differentials and transfer case
independantly
flip one lever and it locks the rear diff
flip the next one it locks the front diff
flip the next and it locks the transfer case
dont know about the diesel 6x6

Old July 6th 05, 05:15 PM
Paul - xxx

Ian Rawlings came up with the following;:
> On 2005-07-06, Ray Keller > wrote:
>
>> Unimog

> Pinzgauer 6x6!

Which isn't what's being asked for.

--
Paul ...
(8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!

Old July 6th 05, 06:49 PM
Ian Rawlings

On 2005-07-06, Ray Keller > wrote:

> I actualy have driven a penz
> A friend of mine has one, A 4x4 troop carrier
> 4 cyl air cooled gas motor in a 1 ton rated 4x4
> Top speed 65 mph empty

The current new model costs about 16K and has the TDi engine from a
Golf in it, it accelerates faster and does more MPG when fully loaded
than the old petrol version does when empty.

I can't remember the load rating of the 6x6 version but I think it's
1.5-2 tonnes, I remember thinking that I could load my landy on the
back and then go off-roading ;-)

> great off road as they have lots of suspension travel

Portal axle design coupled with swing axles that pivot *around* the
differentials, there are no exposed drive-train components at all,
it's all enclosed in steel tube. No CV or universal joints in the
drive train either. Strong and simple, and has been pretty much
unchanged for IIRC 25 years (or is it 15?).

> I realy like the abillity to lock the differentials and transfer case
> independantly
> flip one lever and it locks the rear diff
> flip the next one it locks the front diff
> flip the next and it locks the transfer case

Yep, mogs have this trick too, but they're much bigger and more
thirsty than the Pinz. The pinz is about the same size as a Landy 110.

--
For every expert, there is an equal but opposite expert
Old July 6th 05, 06:52 PM
Ian Rawlings

On 2005-07-06, Paul - xxx > wrote:

> Which isn't what's being asked for.

Possibly not, given the rather puzzling original question I think
we're free to use our imagination!

Personally I don't think a modern 'mog is ever what's being asked for,
unless what's being asked for is a short lorry crossed with a
tractor.. I liked the early ones but now they're just too big and
bulky.

--
For every expert, there is an equal but opposite expert
Old July 6th 05, 07:52 PM
Adrian

Ian Rawlings ) gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying :

<of Pinz>

> The current new model costs about 16K

I think you may have slightly misheard.

Try at least £60k+vat, a few years ago...

> and has the TDi engine from a Golf in it

It does have a VW engine, but it's the 2.5 5-pot from the LT and
Transporter.