Advice on Prosport Gauges

Old May 12th 10, 03:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Frank Berger

Default Advice on Prosport Gauges

Perhaps someone can help. My "new" MSM has Prosport air/fuel and boost
gauges mounted on the A pillar. It's the way they are wired that I have a
question about. After starting the car, I have to hold down the button on
the air/fuel gauge to initialize the gauges. Otherwise they don't
initialize and beep incessantly to remind me of that fact. I can't imagine
that they are supposed to work like that. I think the previojus owner said
as much to me but wasn't able to figure out the "correct" wiring before I
took posession. I know he was asking about it on mazda-speed,com last year
and didn't seem to get any answers. Any ideas?

One other question about the operation of the air/fuel gauge. Generally it
shows a air/fuel ration arounf 14-1d, which I understand is normal. Under
sudden deceleration (even going say 20 MPH in second gear and taking my foot
of the gas), the gauge tops out and turns red to warn me that it has hit its
per-set warning level. Does this seem normal?

Thanks.

Old May 12th 10, 03:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article > ,
"Frank Berger" > wrote:

> Under
> sudden deceleration (even going say 20 MPH in second gear and taking my foot
> of the gas), the gauge tops out and turns red to warn me that it has hit its
> per-set warning level. Does this seem normal?

Assuming the MSM is like every other car with electronic fuel injection,
closing the throttle completely will shut off the injectors after a
short delay. The air-fuel ratio becomes infinitely lean: all air, no
fuel. Normal.

--
Lanny Chambers
St. Louis, MO
Old May 12th 10, 04:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Frank Berger

Lanny Chambers wrote:
> In article > ,
> "Frank Berger" > wrote:
>
>> Under
>> sudden deceleration (even going say 20 MPH in second gear and taking
>> my foot of the gas), the gauge tops out and turns red to warn me
>> that it has hit its per-set warning level. Does this seem normal?

> Assuming the MSM is like every other car with electronic fuel
> injection, closing the throttle completely will shut off the
> injectors after a short delay. The air-fuel ratio becomes infinitely
> lean: all air, no fuel. Normal.

Good to know. Thanks. But it's hard to imagine what the warning of hitting
a pre-set max is supposed to accomplish, isn't it? It leas it only flashes
red and doesn't beep!

Old May 12th 10, 06:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article > ,
"Frank Berger" > wrote:

> But it's hard to imagine what the warning of hitting
> a pre-set max is supposed to accomplish, isn't it?

If the too-lean alert flashes under acceleration, you should immediately
back off to avoid melting a piston from detonation.

--
Lanny Chambers
St. Louis, MO

no gauges rjk[_3_] BMW 17 February 23rd 10 03:25 AM
"Check Gauges" means,..? Yes Sir, Gauges all Checked Sir! rock_bustin Jeep 7 September 10th 07 03:11 AM
VW MK2 Gauges [email protected] VW air cooled 5 September 11th 06 04:56 AM
VW MK2 gauges duostyling VW water cooled 0 September 10th 06 07:59 PM