'93 civic HB water leak typical ? where to look ?

Old September 30th 09, 02:40 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
robb

Default '93 civic HB water leak typical ? where to look ?

My '93 Civic Si HB recently developed a water leak somewhere on
the passenger side ?

The front passenger side floor and floor mats are drenched. The
water has somehow made it back to the rear passenger floor. None
of the seats have any dampness. The doors had no water in them or
their compartments. The driver side floor is dry dry dry. The
windows and sunroof were all sealed tight and show no signs of
gaps. The glove compartment was dry. The car is parked in the
same place as always.

The water came to my attention after about two weeks of
torrential rains here in the SE U.S.. The car sat undriven for
that time. I go to drive the car and the windows are
fogged/condensated up after our cold night. There are a few
scatered patches of mildew/mold.

Are sudden water leaks typical for these older civics ? Where or
what should i suspect first ?

I tried running water hose on and over the car around the
passenger side windows and sun roof but no luck finding any drips
or leaks... maybe i need to do it longer ?

any helpful advice greatly appreciated

robb

Old September 30th 09, 02:47 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Seth

"robb" > wrote in message
m...
> My '93 Civic Si HB recently developed a water leak somewhere on
> the passenger side ?
>
> The front passenger side floor and floor mats are drenched. The
> water has somehow made it back to the rear passenger floor. None
> of the seats have any dampness. The doors had no water in them or
> their compartments. The driver side floor is dry dry dry. The
> windows and sunroof were all sealed tight and show no signs of
> gaps. The glove compartment was dry. The car is parked in the
> same place as always.
>
> The water came to my attention after about two weeks of
> torrential rains here in the SE U.S.. The car sat undriven for
> that time. I go to drive the car and the windows are
> fogged/condensated up after our cold night. There are a few
> scatered patches of mildew/mold.
>
> Are sudden water leaks typical for these older civics ? Where or
> what should i suspect first ?
>
> I tried running water hose on and over the car around the
> passenger side windows and sun roof but no luck finding any drips
> or leaks... maybe i need to do it longer ?

Sunroof drain line might be clogged.

Old September 30th 09, 02:51 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
E. Meyer[_2_]

On 9/30/09 8:40 AM, in article
, "robb" >
wrote:

> My '93 Civic Si HB recently developed a water leak somewhere on
> the passenger side ?
>
> The front passenger side floor and floor mats are drenched. The
> water has somehow made it back to the rear passenger floor. None
> of the seats have any dampness. The doors had no water in them or
> their compartments. The driver side floor is dry dry dry. The
> windows and sunroof were all sealed tight and show no signs of
> gaps. The glove compartment was dry. The car is parked in the
> same place as always.
>
> The water came to my attention after about two weeks of
> torrential rains here in the SE U.S.. The car sat undriven for
> that time. I go to drive the car and the windows are
> fogged/condensated up after our cold night. There are a few
> scatered patches of mildew/mold.
>
> Are sudden water leaks typical for these older civics ? Where or
> what should i suspect first ?
>
> I tried running water hose on and over the car around the
> passenger side windows and sun roof but no luck finding any drips
> or leaks... maybe i need to do it longer ?
>
> any helpful advice greatly appreciated
>
> robb

Is the drain hose still attached at the base of the AC unit? Next most
likely causes are dislodged or clogged drain hose off the sunroof & failing
seal at the bottom of the windshield. Also check that the weather strip is
intact around the edge of the door.

Old September 30th 09, 11:03 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger[_2_]

"robb" > wrote in
m:

> My '93 Civic Si HB recently developed a water leak somewhere on
> the passenger side ?
>
> The front passenger side floor and floor mats are drenched. The
> water has somehow made it back to the rear passenger floor. None
> of the seats have any dampness. The doors had no water in them or
> their compartments. The driver side floor is dry dry dry. The
> windows and sunroof were all sealed tight and show no signs of
> gaps. The glove compartment was dry. The car is parked in the
> same place as always.

Pull the black trim strips out of the channels in the roof. See any cracks
in the sealer in the trim's ditch towards the windshield?

Look VERY closely; the cracks can be small and hard to see. I've also seen
rust in that location. Rust can allow very large amounts of water to enter.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old October 1st 09, 03:22 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Grumpy AuContraire[_4_]

robb wrote:
> My '93 Civic Si HB recently developed a water leak somewhere on
> the passenger side ?
>
> The front passenger side floor and floor mats are drenched. The
> water has somehow made it back to the rear passenger floor. None
> of the seats have any dampness. The doors had no water in them or
> their compartments. The driver side floor is dry dry dry. The
> windows and sunroof were all sealed tight and show no signs of
> gaps. The glove compartment was dry. The car is parked in the
> same place as always.
>
> The water came to my attention after about two weeks of
> torrential rains here in the SE U.S.. The car sat undriven for
> that time. I go to drive the car and the windows are
> fogged/condensated up after our cold night. There are a few
> scatered patches of mildew/mold.
>
> Are sudden water leaks typical for these older civics ? Where or
> what should i suspect first ?
>
> I tried running water hose on and over the car around the
> passenger side windows and sun roof but no luck finding any drips
> or leaks... maybe i need to do it longer ?
>
> any helpful advice greatly appreciated
>
> robb

In my experience, leaks that only affect the floor are usually clogged
A/C condensation drains.

JT

Water leak mike Technology 3 March 1st 06 06:04 PM
85 CRX water leak [email protected] Honda 4 February 8th 06 04:18 PM
85 CRX water leak [email protected] Driving 2 January 20th 06 08:05 PM
Help Water Leak? 95 YJ Jeep 3 June 14th 05 08:05 PM
Water Leak Ryan Dodge 20 January 13th 05 04:12 AM