Diagnosis needed

Old January 13th 10, 06:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Frank Berger

Default Diagnosis needed

On a cold start on a cold (around freezing or less) morning, the power
steering makes a moaning noise. The power steering fluid seems frothy.
After a few minutes of driving the noise goes away. I see no evidence of a
fluid leak. Could air be getting into the system that is forced out as I
drive and as everything warms up? I added quite a bit of Lucas PS additive
a few days ago. Hasn't made a difference.

Old January 13th 10, 08:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chuck[_13_]

How low was it when you added the additive?
In any event, if it keeps up, either ignore the noise, or expect to be
spending some money to replace the PS Pump (If you are lucky.)

m...

Old January 13th 10, 09:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Chuck wrote:
> How low was it when you added the additive?
> In any event, if it keeps up, either ignore the noise, or expect to be
> spending some money to replace the PS Pump (If you are lucky.)

He could also de-power the steering rack.

Pat
Old January 13th 10, 10:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
[email protected]

On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 12:54:26 -0600, "Frank Berger"
> wrote:

>On a cold start on a cold (around freezing or less) morning, the power
>steering makes a moaning noise. The power steering fluid seems frothy.
>After a few minutes of driving the noise goes away. I see no evidence of a
>fluid leak. Could air be getting into the system that is forced out as I
>drive and as everything warms up? I added quite a bit of Lucas PS additive
>a few days ago. Hasn't made a difference.

Frank, when was the power steering fluid changed.
Might have moisture in it which is freezing.

OzOne of the three twins

I welcome you to Crackerbox Palace.
Old January 14th 10, 01:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Frank Berger

Top posting because you did?

I said I added it a few days ago.

I don't want to destroy the rack avoiding replacing the pump. OEM pumps are
expensive, but 3rd party ones aren't.

Old January 14th 10, 01:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
[email protected]

On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 19:42:37 -0600, "Frank Berger"

>> On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 12:54:26 -0600, "Frank Berger"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> On a cold start on a cold (around freezing or less) morning, the
>>> power steering makes a moaning noise. The power steering fluid
>>> seems frothy. After a few minutes of driving the noise goes away. I
>>> see no evidence of a fluid leak. Could air be getting into the
>>> system that is forced out as I drive and as everything warms up?
>>> I added quite a bit of Lucas PS additive a few days ago. Hasn't
>>> made a difference.
>>>

>> Frank, when was the power steering fluid changed.
>> Might have moisture in it which is freezing.

>Long time, probably.

Think I'd be replacing it...before I started any work AND to get the
additive out before it does any damage!

Old January 14th 10, 03:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chuck[_13_]

It might be that the cold temperature is causing the pressure relief
valve to open, and you are hearing the valve buzzing. When the fluid
thins out as it warms up, the noise goes away.

I'd likely suction out as much of the old fluid as possible/convenient,
replace with new, and see what happens. Was/is the old fluid dark?

Old January 14th 10, 05:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
KWS[_2_]

The things you don't think of. After 219,000 miles, I should think about
replacing the p/s fluid. Thanks, folks!

Ken

Old January 14th 10, 06:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chuck[_13_]

With 200k + Miles, I'd sort of expect the wear on the pump to be enough that
a new one is in your future, or you just wait until the power steering
becomes "weak", and then replace the pump. With new fluid and warmer
weather, you may find that the effectivity of power steering is not what it
should be, due to pump wear and fluid without all the stuff that accumulated
over the years.

86 4KQ diagnosis made! miguelito Audi 6 August 21st 08 04:09 AM
Help with A/C diagnosis? Kevin Highsmith Technology 4 March 14th 06 07:23 AM
VSS diagnosis? Steve Bigelow Honda 1 July 11th 05 01:17 AM
diagnosis please [email protected] VW air cooled 9 May 25th 05 07:03 PM
Help with diagnosis 71 bus (1600 dp) gcamick VW air cooled 4 February 17th 05 09:40 PM