1999 Caravan Brake Problems

Old August 17th 04, 02:19 PM
Jim Candela

Default 1999 Caravan Brake Problems

I love my Caravan, but brakes have not been a good point. This is a SE with
the 3.3 liter V6.

First both rear drum brake wheel cylinders needed to be replaced at 30,000
miles due to brake fluid seepage. At that time I replaced the wheel
cylinders, bled the rear system, replaced the front rotors (turned the
rear), and all the brakes with Raybestos PG plus pads & shoes. I noticed
however that the front right pads where nearly down to the rivets, and the
left front had much more meat left (almost 2X).

The van ran fine for a long time afterward for about 30,000 miles until the
brakes again seemed to be less effective. Maybe it was a mistake, but I
replaced the front pads with the cheaper pep boys pads (ceramic) and I did
not turn the rotors. The old PG plus pads were evenly worn left & right, and
the rotors looked fine (did not mic them). There was still maybe 10,000
miles left on the old pads. The new cheap pads seated immediately, and
better braking was restored.

Now after only about 5000 miles the right front pads are down to the rivets
(rotor toast now), and squeaking away (at low speed when cold, and not
applying the brakes). Interestingly the left front side looks fine. I also
notice that after I park the left rotor is too hot to touch for at least 15
minutes after I park the van whereas the right rotor is much cooler.

So it seems that I need at least one new rotor, and quality pads. What is
bothering me is the uneven wear. Do I have a "sleepy caliper" that may not
be releasing enough (left front)? Even now the braking is good and even, no
left or right pulling. Taking sharp left & right turns does not seem to make
a noise one way or the other is if I have a bad wheel bearing.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Jim Candela

Old August 20th 04, 04:25 PM

First off I am not claiming to be an expert but, like many here I choose to
do most my maintenance myself. At least I do a better job then these
production shops we all have tried.

Anyway, I also own a 99 GC Sport. I have not had any brake problems and did
not need to replace the brakes until over 70K miles, so with that said and
from reading your email, I think there are 2 things that stood out to me. 1.
Did you thoroughly clean your brake assembly when you replaced the brakes
the last time? 2. You said you did not turn the rotors, I could see both of
those items leading to early brake wear.

Also, I have to wonder if you have a front brake that is dragging? Again,
cleaning the system on the last brake replacement may have prevented that
from happening.

Please take my comments as constructive. I certainly do not claim to know
more then you and especially others here but I do believe that another set
of eyes or ears helps. I use that theory when I work on my airplane. I never
work on it myself without someone else looking over my work. That is not
only for my life safety but also for those on the ground, and brakes can
kind of be viewed the same.

Best of Luck,
Jeff York
85 Dodge 600CS Shelby'ized Turbo II convertible
99 GC Sport
01 PT Cruiser
02 KR-2 Porsche powered Experimental Airplane

.. .

Old August 20th 04, 04:25 PM

Old August 21st 04, 06:29 AM
Kevin

At 42000 miles, my 98 Voyager needed the following:
Rotors, Calipers, Pads, shoes, wheel cylinders, and the brake springs.

This was only normal driving, seemed very excessive. 20k later, front pads
were wearing unevenly (left front toast) and the shoes where scorched and
uneffective. Replaced the pads, and shoes, and the calipers under warranty.
Another 15k, brakes were going down again, I THEN TRADED VAN.

Old August 21st 04, 06:29 AM
Kevin

Old August 21st 04, 04:12 PM
bobQ

The rear breaks: did you ever get them in the water from a boat ramp? Hard
to understand both weeping at 30k. cheap fix though.

Front: Clearly the right caliper is sticking. Easiest thing is to pop the
puck out and clean it up. I had the same problem. the puck had small
deposits of goop That cleaned up very easily with 800 wet/dry sanding paper
in a solvent. The reabuild kits are $4 each plus small amount of time. Very
easy to do. Aslo this uses a phenolic puck vice metal and there is no
corosion to speak of. clean the inside of the cliper in the same way. Since
they are cheap (for you) to do I'd do both. And don't get the cheapest pads
as they turn to dust fast. Looks like you know that though. Good luck.

Old August 22nd 04, 04:12 AM
ldenn2

Chrysler is secretly famous for their plastic or composition caliper pistons
swelling and sticking on. When it first starts the auto probably steers
slightly funny. Then it starts smelling hot and there may be smoke. I have
seen them seize and have to be towed.

Old August 22nd 04, 04:12 AM
ldenn2