This Is Ridiculous!!! Isn't It???

Old September 27th 04, 09:52 PM
Robotron Tom

Default This Is Ridiculous!!! Isn't It???

I had a miss throughout the RPM range and MPG dropped. I started by
replacing the coil: no change. I purchased new OEM plug wires and Bosch
Platinum +4 plugs and started installing them. Huge pain to do, I must
admit. I got the 4 pass side wires on and new plugs in #2 and #4
cylinders: no change. Dropped it at the nearby dealership this morning
and they found #1 plug was dead. They installed the remaining parts(4
wires and 6 plugs) for me and car runs great now.

The bill: $425!!!!
Did I get a hosing on this one?

The mechanic was telling me he cut the labor in half because I had
already done most of one side. So...how did I get charged for 3 hours
labor for a tune-up if he cut the labor in half? A tune-up on a 93
Corvette is 6 hours??? There was a 1 hour charge for diagnostic($89), so
that made it 4 hours total labor.

Should I complain or just be happy it runs right again?

Thanks,
--
Robotron Tom *remove nospam to email*
See the Flashback Arcade at: http:// www.arcadeguy.net

Standing for right when it is unpopular is a true test of moral
character.
-M. Smith
Old September 28th 04, 12:18 AM
Diode

Robotron Tom spoke thusly...

> The bill: $425!!!!
> Did I get a hosing on this one?

Tom:

Coupla things here...The 6 hours comes from the "book". I forgot what
it's called, the rate hour book or something like that. Anyway, the
dealer has a book that says how many hours and fractions thereof a job
is supposed to take. They all have the same book so theoretically
you'll be charged the same no matter what dealer you go to. Notice I
said "theoretically". So it doesn't matter how long it takes in real
time, you're going to be charged by the book. Even if it takes the
mechanic 15 minutes, if the book says the job takes 5 hours, that's what
you're going to be charged. If you think that you've been overcharged,
ask the dealer to show you the book and see if it's really listed as a 6
hour job. Then check the hourly rate. It's supposed to be posted on a
large, clearly visible sign. I'm guessing from your post that the rate
is $89 per hour. So how did the bill get to be $425?? By my
arithmetic, 4x89=356. They didn't supply any parts so where did the
other $69 go? (unless you have MAJOR sales tax where you live)

--
-|>|- Diode -|<|-
'68 L-79 Coupe
Old September 28th 04, 12:18 AM
Diode

Robotron Tom spoke thusly...

Old September 28th 04, 01:22 AM
Robotron Tom

Diode started a controversy when he said... :

> Coupla things here...The 6 hours comes from the "book". I forgot what
> it's called, the rate hour book or something like that. Anyway, the

<snip>
> large, clearly visible sign. I'm guessing from your post that the rate
> is $89 per hour. So how did the bill get to be $425?? By my
> arithmetic, 4x89=356. They didn't supply any parts so where did the
> other $69 go? (unless you have MAJOR sales tax where you live)

Thanks for the info. I'll run by there tomorrow and ask a couple of
questions to the service writer.

Old September 28th 04, 01:22 AM
Robotron Tom

Old September 28th 04, 01:32 AM
John H

> The bill: $425!!!!
> Did I get a hosing on this one?

Probably not. There are a few plugs easy to get to (that you got) and
several that require removing (and replacing) a bunch of hardware to get at
the plugs. My guess is you were just charged a shop rate for the time the
mechanic spent.
John
I spent over 4 hours changing plugs my '93 and still didn't get 2 of the
plugs.