** New Beetle Headlight Bulb Suggestions

Old December 22nd 04, 03:29 AM
Anton382

Default ** New Beetle Headlight Bulb Suggestions

Hi Folks,

Daughter has a 2001 NB, and seem to have the common problem of headlights
burning out. Just wondering if anyone has found a brand that may last longer.
I've tried the standard Sylvania H1-55W,and even the Sylvania Silverstar High
Output / High Dollar replacements and see no difference in longevity. Even
tied some no-name from Ebay , Chinese I believe, with the same results, next
step will be to disable the DRL and see if that helps. At least they are easy
to replace, but don't want to be doing it with the snowy months comming up.

Thanks,
Butch
Old December 22nd 04, 03:53 AM
Joseph Meehan

Anton382 wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> Daughter has a 2001 NB, and seem to have the common problem of
> headlights burning out. Just wondering if anyone has found a brand
> that may last longer. I've tried the standard Sylvania H1-55W,and
> even the Sylvania Silverstar High Output / High Dollar replacements
> and see no difference in longevity. Even tied some no-name from Ebay
> , Chinese I believe, with the same results, next step will be to
> disable the DRL and see if that helps. At least they are easy to
> replace, but don't want to be doing it with the snowy months comming
> up. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Butch

Don't bother with the Silverstar, its rated life is about a third of
normal.

The only thing I can suggest is to make sure the contacts are clean and
tight and that no one touches the lamp. Even a finger print can greatly
reduce the life of the lamp.

What kind of life are you getting? (miles and months) Mine are about
three years and 36,000 miles with the original lamps.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Old December 22nd 04, 03:53 AM
Joseph Meehan

Old December 22nd 04, 04:27 AM
Rob Guenther

Try OEM bulbs, they seem to last 4 years.

Yah Silverstars have nice light, but the bulb life is around just over a
year i've heard... I like the light output so I keep mine, I have 2 spare
OEM bulbs in the trunk just in case, along with my spare brake light and
running light bulbs. (I can't stand being one of those cars with a blown
bulb, if you can't already tell)

Old December 22nd 04, 04:27 AM
Rob Guenther

Old December 22nd 04, 06:53 AM
Biz

"Rob Guenther" > wrote in message
. ..
> Try OEM bulbs, they seem to last 4 years.
>
> Yah Silverstars have nice light, but the bulb life is around just over a
> year i've heard... I like the light output so I keep mine, I have 2 spare
> OEM bulbs in the trunk just in case, along with my spare brake light and
> running light bulbs. (I can't stand being one of those cars with a blown
> bulb, if you can't already tell)

Kudos, Rob.

You just know the ones with a blown bulb have been driving that way for
weeks. Especially since they might still have the high beams they will use
to blind you with every chance they get

Old December 22nd 04, 06:53 AM
Biz

Old December 22nd 04, 08:25 AM
Matt B.

"Anton382" > wrote in message

> Hi Folks,
>
> Daughter has a 2001 NB, and seem to have the common problem of headlights
> burning out. Just wondering if anyone has found a brand that may last
> longer.
> I've tried the standard Sylvania H1-55W,and even the Sylvania Silverstar
> High
> Output / High Dollar replacements and see no difference in longevity.
> Even
> tied some no-name from Ebay , Chinese I believe, with the same results,
> next
> step will be to disable the DRL and see if that helps. At least they are
> easy
> to replace, but don't want to be doing it with the snowy months comming
> up.

Osrams are good quality and are probably OEM.

But long term you might want to just disable the DRLs.

Old December 22nd 04, 08:25 AM
Matt B.

Old December 22nd 04, 05:39 PM
Joseph Meehan

Anton382 wrote:
> Joseph,
>
> The OEM's lasted about 3 years, then it all went south from there. I
> replaced them both within a month of each other with the std 55w, one
> of them burned out a year later, so I replaced them both with the
> Silverstar, just because I got a deal on them, one of the Silverstar
> lasted about 2 months and the other burned out a month after that.
> Now the local stores tell me the Osram/Sylvania no longer make the
> std 55w, which I think is a sales ploy, because you can still buy
> them online. They want to sell you the Silverstar. I have been
> checking the connections pretty good, guess I'll check them again
> when I replace them this time.
>
> I have the info on disabling the DRL's guess that will be my next
> step. Thanks for all the information. Happy Holidays !!

Disabling the DRL's should increase the life, but maybe not as much as
you think. As I understand it the voltage is reduced 30% in DRL mode so it
greatly reduces the wear in DRL.

BTW. I went with a new Euro head lamp switch. A quick and easy (not too
cheap however) change. It has four settings. Off, DRL/w only, parking
lights only and full head lights with parking lights. I like the option of
parking lights and fog lights for heavy fog or snow. (Don't full the relay
to have all the options if you use the switch)

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

FA: VW Beetle Reborn novelty clock Al Rock VW air cooled 0 January 3rd 05 11:57 PM
New Beetle Tim murphy VW air cooled 9 January 1st 05 05:54 PM
98 Accord Sedan Low Beam Bulb - HB4 51 watt or 55 watt? How to Remove/Replace shroud? Don Enderton Honda 9 December 7th 04 07:24 PM
A4 1.9 TDi SE 1998 - Front Indicator Bulb Graeme Audi 3 December 5th 04 10:26 PM