not even MFFY, just an a-hole...

Old March 5th 05, 06:42 AM
Big Bill

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 10:22:42 -0600,
(Matthew Russotto) wrote:

>In article >,
>Big Bill > wrote:
>>On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 10:07:42 -0600,

>>(Matthew Russotto) wrote:

>>>From Merriam-Webster online
>>>Accident 1a: "an unforseen and unplanned event or circumstance"
>>> 1b: "lack of intention or necessity: CHANCE"
>>> 2a: "an unfortunate event resulting especially from
>>> carelessness or ignorance"
>>> 2b: "an unexpected and medically important bodily event
>>> especially when injurious"
>>> 2c: "an unexpected happening causing loss or injury which is
>>> not due to any fault or misconduct on the part of the
>>> person injured but for which legal relief may be sought"
>>> 3: "a nonessential property or quality of an entity or
>>> circumstance"
>>>
>>>Your typical auto accident fits 1a, the more precise definition in 1b,
>>>and 2a. Many also fit 2c (since the injured party is not necessarily
>>>at fault)

>>Observation says 1b doesn't describe many vehicle crashes.

>The more precise definition ("lack of intention or necessity")?
>Describes nearly all of them.

You forgot one very important word. It's right there to see, but you
snipped it: CHANCE.
Since it's included in 1b, 1b doesn't describe very many crashes.

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"
Old March 8th 05, 06:59 PM
Matthew Russotto

In article >,
Big Bill > wrote:
>On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 10:22:42 -0600,
>(Matthew Russotto) wrote:
>
>>In article >,
>>Big Bill > wrote:

>>>Observation says 1b doesn't describe many vehicle crashes.

>>The more precise definition ("lack of intention or necessity")?
>>Describes nearly all of them.

>You forgot one very important word. It's right there to see, but you
>snipped it: CHANCE.
>Since it's included in 1b, 1b doesn't describe very many crashes.

The colon separates two definitions of the same sense. A situation
does not need to fit both definitions to fit the sense.
result in a fully-depreciated one.
Old March 9th 05, 04:22 AM
Big Bill

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 12:59:17 -0600,
(Matthew Russotto) wrote:

>In article >,
>Big Bill > wrote:
>>On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 10:22:42 -0600,

>>(Matthew Russotto) wrote:

>>>The more precise definition ("lack of intention or necessity")?
>>>Describes nearly all of them.

>>You forgot one very important word. It's right there to see, but you
>>snipped it: CHANCE.
>>Since it's included in 1b, 1b doesn't describe very many crashes.

>The colon separates two definitions of the same sense. A situation
>does not need to fit both definitions to fit the sense.

I'd buy that a lot better if that were a semi-colon.

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"
Old March 10th 05, 04:30 PM
Matthew Russotto

In article >,
Big Bill > wrote:
>On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 12:59:17 -0600,
>(Matthew Russotto) wrote:
>
>>In article >,
>>Big Bill > wrote:

>>>You forgot one very important word. It's right there to see, but you
>>>snipped it: CHANCE.
>>>Since it's included in 1b, 1b doesn't describe very many crashes.

>>The colon separates two definitions of the same sense. A situation
>>does not need to fit both definitions to fit the sense.

>I'd buy that a lot better if that were a semi-colon.

Buy or buy not, it's Merriam-Websters specific symbology, you can look
it up on their site.

result in a fully-depreciated one.

MFFY Du Jour Mike Z. Helm Driving 51 April 10th 05 08:30 PM
Speeding: the fundamental cause of MFFY Daniel W. Rouse Jr. Driving 82 December 23rd 04 01:10 AM
hole in center tunnel joe bloe VW air cooled 0 November 19th 04 12:06 AM
Drill Hole and Airbag Saturn 0 August 8th 04 08:39 AM