the little nice things...

Old June 21st 05, 04:53 AM
brink

Default the little nice things...

i think it's pretty well-documented that most of us don't appreciate many
things other drivers do, i.e. LLBing, not paying attention, micropassing,
etc...

what are some of the little courtesies that are nice to have extended when
driving? here are some that are always nice to receive:

1) "i'll get out of your way at this red light so you can turn right on
red." this is when the one car in front of you at a red light sees that
you're waiting behind him to turn right at the intersection and he/she
manuevers his/her car enough to allow you to pass on the right and make the
turn without having to wait.

2) "i'll set the screen on this semi truck so you can pass." this one's
rare since it takes a well-coordinated effort, but i've seen it a few
times--most often on I-10 between LA and phoenix, which is only two lanes
each direction and LOADED with trucks, many of whom block traffic like crazy
as they micropass each other. it's a pretty simple maneuver, the lead car
pins the offending truck in the RH lane by starting an aggressive pass, but
then slows up and maintains speed with the cab of the truck until car #2 can
get into position at the truck's left rear flank. if done well, this leads
to a nice chain pass where most of the frustrated drivers behind the rolling
roadblock can be sprung free.

3) "heads up ahead of you" always good to know from opposing traffic by them
flashing their headlights that there's debris in the road, or an accident,
or a speed trap.

4) "hey, look a turnout... i think i'll use it." of course this is
mandated by law nearly everywhere on mountainous roads, so it isn't
technically a courtesy when people do it, but it's so uncommon it deserves
special mention!

brink

Old June 27th 05, 07:49 PM
John David Galt

brink wrote:
> what are some of the little courtesies that are nice to have extended when
> driving? here are some that are always nice to receive:
>
> 1) "i'll get out of your way at this red light so you can turn right on
> red." this is when the one car in front of you at a red light sees that
> you're waiting behind him to turn right at the intersection and he/she
> manuevers his/her car enough to allow you to pass on the right and make the
> turn without having to wait.

This should be done automatically when there's room in the right lane.
Even if you don't show up until after he's been stopped there awhile,
he should already be that far left.

> 2) "i'll set the screen on this semi truck so you can pass." this one's
> rare since it takes a well-coordinated effort, but i've seen it a few
> times--most often on I-10 between LA and phoenix, which is only two lanes
> each direction and LOADED with trucks, many of whom block traffic like crazy
> as they micropass each other. it's a pretty simple maneuver, the lead car
> pins the offending truck in the RH lane by starting an aggressive pass, but
> then slows up and maintains speed with the cab of the truck until car #2 can
> get into position at the truck's left rear flank. if done well, this leads
> to a nice chain pass where most of the frustrated drivers behind the rolling
> roadblock can be sprung free.

Good plan. The problem is that the truckers have a similar countermove
available: "I'll delay finishing my micropass to hold back these cars
in the left lane so you (another truck ahead of himself) can pull out
to start your micropass." When trucks one-after-another-after-another
use this move successfully, it's called the "I-5 truck races".

> 3) "heads up ahead of you" always good to know from opposing traffic by them
> flashing their headlights that there's debris in the road, or an accident,
> or a speed trap.

Rarely comes up, but a good idea.

In California, the CHP deliberately started an urban legend about gang
initiation to deter people from flashing their lights to warn of speed
traps. Unfortunately, lots of in-duh-viduals believe it.

> 4) "hey, look a turnout... i think i'll use it." of course this is
> mandated by law nearly everywhere on mountainous roads, so it isn't
> technically a courtesy when people do it, but it's so uncommon it deserves
> special mention!

I agree. Needs to happen often, but rarely does. Even in flat areas,
on two-lane country roads with the occasional passing lane added, half
the idiots won't even keep right on those sections as they're required
to.

I think the problem is with the way driving is taught in this state.
They go on and on about so-called safety, including impossible BS like
leaving a 3-second gap on the freeway, but not one word about lane
discipline, waiting your turn in line, and similar behaviors that
ought to be required legally as they are morally. Even the driver's
manual is sorely lacking on this topic (as well as being so full of
the usual "crying-wolf" advice such as "always obey speed limits" that
everyone disregards it anyway).