cold air intake question

Old June 19th 05, 02:41 AM
Defiant

Default cold air intake question

I have a 01 Gt convertible that already has a K&N on it and the stock intake
inlet.
what is the best cold air intake system on the market. best bang for the
buck.
also has anyone used the 80mm mass sensor?
been looking at several and liked the C&L intake system with the mass air
meter.
looking for more pony's.
opinions? suggestions?

--
Defiant

"Till the end"
NX-74205

Old June 19th 05, 03:18 AM
Jim Warman

Best bang for the buck = nitrous. Cold air intakes are, by and large, window
dressing.... pretty but no real benefits. While cooler air can be a win or
lose thing in something like a Nextel Cup car or a prostock, the benefits on
a street car can be dubious.

Old June 19th 05, 03:27 AM
Defiant

looking at several of those as we speak.
what's the best setup?
Defiant

Old June 19th 05, 12:01 PM

Looking at several nitrous systems?

Depends on the car... Ford switched to a returnless fuel system in 99+
cars I believe. I have a 1998 Ford Mustang GT (well-maintained) with a
Zex dry nitrous kit. I can spray a 75 shot on it all day long with no
problems. The kit came with 75hp - 125hp jets, but I am not going above
75hp for my particular car (stock motor). Installation was a breeze &
only took 4 hours (installation time 4-5 hours says Zex). It is
TPS-controlled which I like. The only down-side is the given...
refilling the bottle. I purchased a 10lb Nitrous Express (NX) bottle so
I don't hafta go to the performance shop as often for refills (2 10lb
bottles). As far as I'm concerned... it's a damn good bang-for-buck
modification, but be careful! Definitely get it on a dyno & check the
air/fuel ratio before you get on it. Also I wouldn't recommend spraying
under 3,000RPM... and definitely don't spray in your overdrive gear
(5th for me)!!

If you have a returnless fuel system (99+ if memory serves correctly)
then I'd definitely look into a NX wet kit... I've heard nothing but
great things about 'em. If Zex makes a wet kit (not sure) then I'd look
at that first. Again, just be safe & don't get greedy & start jetting
it up to 150 or anything... unless you've got a built motor!! Other
things apply too.. colder copper plugs, 93+ octane premium fuel, timing
retard (depending on octane running & hp jets used), etc.

Hope this helps.

-Mike