WHO KILLED THE ELECTRIC CAR??

Old June 18th 09, 05:44 AM posted to rec.autos.misc,talk.politics
M.Butzin[_3_]

Default WHO KILLED THE ELECTRIC CAR??

"ray" > wrote in message ...
> In article >,
> "M.Butzin" > wrote:
>
>> "ray" > wrote in message

>> > Nobody wanted them! Manufacturers of automobiles only produce selling
>> > models. There are only a handful of environmentalists who will put
>> > their money where their mouths are. And for the life of me, I can't see
>> > calling my boss in the morning and explaining to him how I can't get to
>> > work because of a power outage the night before.
>> >

>> Well a little common sense goes a long way Ray, IF you can afford to buy one
>> then most other people will have one also and understand. Double Negatives

> It doesn't work that way if I am "forced" to buy one as Hussein desires.
>
> During these warmer months, our illuminating company often warns us of
> overusing our air conditioners as the <<<<<<<<grid cannot handle the demand.>>>>>>>>>>>
> Imagine if half of the population got stuck with these electric cars?

You would charge it at night when consumption was low.

The reason your area cannot handle the power consumption in the summer is the grid is old and needs updating. Small transformers under size lines for the amperage and longer distance from the generating stations, you can only push so much water in a old pipe before it bursts and electricty is just like water, you try and push more amperage down that line and you fry the transformers and lines and houses that were built 20/30/40 years ago. this is the reason if you have a electrical fire in your home you cannot just fix what broke you have to bring the whole house up to current code. Now imagine trying to upgrade a entire electrical gird that has to be on all the time.

Galveston Tx just went through that after IKE the code says no patches it must be replaced with new up to code wiring, homes that had any damage has to be brought up to todays code and so did the transmission lines and local grids.

Old June 18th 09, 12:28 PM posted to rec.autos.misc,talk.politics
krp

"M.Butzin" > wrote in message

MB>You got me wrong! I never opposed Nuclear Power, Never, Never! No NO NO.
our electric bills here are some of the highest in the nation, why because
of coal!

Marc coal is cheap. Much electric generation is by OIL. THAT is what
costs!

Old June 18th 09, 12:34 PM posted to rec.autos.misc,talk.politics
krp

"ray" > wrote in message

ELECTRIC CARS IN THE 90's

> Nobody wanted them! Manufacturers of automobiles only produce selling
> models. There are only a handful of environmentalists who will put
> their money where their mouths are. And for the life of me, I can't see
> calling my boss in the morning and explaining to him how I can't get to
> work because of a power outage the night before.

Of course nobody wanted them. They were slower than hell, barely could
make it to the grocery store and back and took a WEEK to recharge. They were
also Uggggggleeeee! They didn't have to be but were deliberately made to
turn off buyers. And add to that the price tags. 10 X a regular car. The
M - EV was a really nice car - what worried GM most about the car is that
everyone who was allowed to lease one wanted to BUY IT. They loved that car.
Even with an astronomical price tag. You keep hammering on the most EASY
problems to solve. If electric cars catch on, which they are likely to with
the new technology, then the boss will be in the same boat. I am sure
recharging stations will exist to get you up with enough juice to make it to
work and plug in there.

Old June 18th 09, 12:35 PM posted to rec.autos.misc,talk.politics
krp

"ray" > wrote in message

>> Well a little common sense goes a long way Ray, IF you can afford to buy
>> one
>> then most other people will have one also and understand. Double
>> Negatives

> It doesn't work that way if I am "forced" to buy one as Hussein desires.

Don't worry - I will INSIST you get a HUMMER!

Old June 18th 09, 01:06 PM posted to rec.autos.misc
C. E. White[_1_]

"krp" > wrote in message

> Do you REALLY think a JET engine on a car is practical?

Chrysler built relatively practical turbine powered cars in the 60's.
THey were actually a lot more rpactical than the EV-1's but suffered
the same fate for mostly the same reason - too expensive to mass
produce. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_Turbine_Car .

> Talk about global warming.

The Chrysler turbine car could run on almost anything - even vegatable
oil. Seems like a perfect way to help fight global warming by using
more bio-fuels. In the early 70's Ford was within months of
introducing a turbine engine for use in heavy trucks. The programs was
eventually canceled becasue the ceramic regenerators could not be mass
produced at an attractive cost
http://media.ford.com/article_displa...ticle_id=14119.

> And you want to drive one of those? REALLY? Where? Do you think
> you'll NEED to do 1800 MPH on the road?

I was just pointing out the ridiculousness of using a purpose built
demonstation vehicle as an example to prove that road cars should use
the same method of propulsion. You were using that Japanese electric
car demo vehicle as proof that electric cars are practical, but all I
saw was just a single purpose demostration vehicle that proved nothing
about practical road cars.

Ed

Old June 18th 09, 04:12 PM posted to rec.autos.misc
krp

"C. E. White" > wrote in message

>> Do you REALLY think a JET engine on a car is practical?

> Chrysler built relatively practical turbine powered cars in the 60's. THey
> were actually a lot more rpactical than the EV-1's but suffered the same
> fate for mostly the same reason - too expensive to mass produce. See
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_Turbine_Car .

Did you ever SEE the car run? Talk about gas guzzlers. Fuel consulption
was measured in GALLONS PER MILE. AND jet fuel is expensive.

>> Talk about global warming.

> The Chrysler turbine car could run on almost anything - even vegatable
> oil. Seems like a perfect way to help fight global warming by using more
> bio-fuels. In the early 70's Ford was within months of introducing a
> turbine engine for use in heavy trucks. The programs was eventually
> canceled becasue the ceramic regenerators could not be mass produced at an
> attractive cost

Nope it needed JP-4 to run. You're thinking of a later car and a Ford,
not the Chrysler Turbine.

> http://media.ford.com/article_displa...ticle_id=14119.

>> And you want to drive one of those? REALLY? Where? Do you think you'll
>> NEED to do 1800 MPH on the road?

> I was just pointing out the ridiculousness of using a purpose built
> demonstation vehicle as an example to prove that road cars should use the
> same method of propulsion. You were using that Japanese electric car demo
> vehicle as proof that electric cars are practical, but all I saw was just
> a single purpose demostration vehicle that proved nothing about practical
> road cars.

The fact is that the Eliica IS being hand built and some are out there
being tested. AGAIN - if you saw the NHK documentary on the car that is
running on HD-Net you'd see it is NOT just a tinker toy.
You might know that Mitsubishi is talking about building it in numbers. But
there are several roaming the streets in Japan. Expensive? Sure! ANY hand
built car is going to be pricey! But it won't be with mass production. I am
sure the final product will NOT have 8 drive wheels. I am also sure it will
NOT do 250 MPH. But I am also sure it will be moderately priced and have as
good or greater a range than most internal combustion cars. But it will be a
much better car to drive and own.

Old June 19th 09, 01:35 AM posted to rec.autos.misc,talk.politics
M.Butzin[_3_]

"krp" > wrote in message ...

> "M.Butzin" > wrote in message
>

> MB>You got me wrong! I never opposed Nuclear Power, Never, Never! No NO NO.
> our electric bills here are some of the highest in the nation, why because
> of coal!
>
> Marc coal is cheap. Much electric generation is by OIL. THAT is what
> costs!

Oil and natural gas, your right coal is cheap have you ever saw what it does to the land (open pit coal mines)?, the black lung the miners get? Ever live down wind of a coal fired power plant. You'd change your mind quick,, my nephew who is dying from stage four cancer lived (grew up) in the Blue Ridge Mountains in Virginia, coal dust covered the town when it rained everything was black. It's like living next to a volcano. I like to think of it like this millions of years ago man discovered fire up until the industrial age the plant life did a great job of cleaning the air of the small amount of smoke particles and little pollution we produced. One of those coal fired power plants in five years, before regulations came along produced all the pollution that was produced up to the industrial age. Now a great example of how this works look at Mexico City it is in a "bowl" of mountains life is concentrated in a small area and the mountains keep the daily pollution in, the vegetation cannot clean the air fast enough to rid the air of the pollution.

Here is a question for you: Natural Gas is a natural product from below the surface of the earth, why then are we "charged" for production of natural gas? The oil companies have no refineries that need to refine it, why do you have to pay such a high price for it?

MB
Old June 19th 09, 01:37 AM posted to rec.autos.misc,talk.politics
M.Butzin[_3_]

"krp" > wrote in message ...

> "ray" > wrote in message
>>

>>> Well a little common sense goes a long way Ray, IF you can afford to buy
>>> one
>>> then most other people will have one also and understand. Double
>>> Negatives

>> It doesn't work that way if I am "forced" to buy one as Hussein desires.

> Don't worry - I will INSIST you get a HUMMER!

Nah my wife cannot get into one, they have them here for around five grand.

Old June 19th 09, 04:13 AM posted to rec.autos.misc,talk.politics
ray

In article >,
"M.Butzin" > wrote:

> >> Well a little common sense goes a long way Ray, IF you can afford to buy
> >> one
> >> then most other people will have one also and understand. Double
> >> Negatives

> > It doesn't work that way if I am "forced" to buy one as Hussein desires.
> >
> > During these warmer months, our illuminating company often warns us of
> > overusing our air conditioners as the <<<<<<<<grid cannot handle the
> > demand.>>>>>>>>>>>
> > Imagine if half of the population got stuck with these electric cars?

> You would charge it at night when consumption was low.
>
> The reason your area cannot handle the power consumption in the summer is the
> grid is old and needs updating. Small transformers under size lines for the
> amperage and longer distance from the generating stations, you can only push
> so much water in a old pipe before it bursts and electricty is just like
> water, you try and push more amperage down that line and you fry the
> transformers and lines and houses that were built 20/30/40 years ago. this is
> the reason if you have a electrical fire in your home you cannot just fix
> what broke you have to bring the whole house up to current code. Now imagine
> trying to upgrade a entire electrical gird that has to be on all the time.
>
> Galveston Tx just went through that after IKE the code says no patches it
> must be replaced with new up to code wiring, homes that had any damage has to
> be brought up to todays code and so did the transmission lines and local
> grids.

So the solution is to pour billions of dollars into a new electrical
system so Osama can say he was an environmentally friendly President? I
would guess then you don't mind paying $400.00 per month for electricity
in the summer.

Power goes out whether you use too much electricity or not. A good storm
can take out electric power for days. Should I use up my vacation time
during those storms to be environmentally friendly instead of firing up
my Toyota that gets 35 mph. to get to work??

--
Barock Insane Obama: The greatest joke America ever played on itself.
Old June 19th 09, 04:16 AM posted to rec.autos.misc,talk.politics
ray

In article >,
"krp" > wrote:

> "ray" > wrote in message
>
> ELECTRIC CARS IN THE 90's
>
> > Nobody wanted them! Manufacturers of automobiles only produce selling
> > models. There are only a handful of environmentalists who will put
> > their money where their mouths are. And for the life of me, I can't see
> > calling my boss in the morning and explaining to him how I can't get to
> > work because of a power outage the night before.

> Of course nobody wanted them. They were slower than hell, barely could
> make it to the grocery store and back and took a WEEK to recharge. They were
> also Uggggggleeeee! They didn't have to be but were deliberately made to
> turn off buyers. And add to that the price tags. 10 X a regular car. The
> M - EV was a really nice car - what worried GM most about the car is that
> everyone who was allowed to lease one wanted to BUY IT. They loved that car.
> Even with an astronomical price tag. You keep hammering on the most EASY
> problems to solve. If electric cars catch on, which they are likely to with
> the new technology, then the boss will be in the same boat. I am sure
> recharging stations will exist to get you up with enough juice to make it to
> work and plug in there.

I'm sure my employer would be delighted with that: missing work because
of a power outage. Increasing his electric bill by hundreds, if not
thousands of dollars every month because all of his employees need a
charge.

But what does one do on the highway when there is a traffic jam caused
by an accident? They close the highway down for hours. Imagine the
power usage of your AC unit while you sit in traffic. Do we just stall
in the middle of the highway because we ran out of juice?

--
Barock Insane Obama: The greatest joke America ever played on itself.