HELP: 93 Toyota Corolla vibration problem!

Old April 8th 08, 05:21 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos,rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

Default HELP: 93 Toyota Corolla vibration problem!

Hi,

I have a 1993 Toyota Corolla with 265k miles on it. There is a
vibration that has the following symptoms:
- it only occurs on the highway
- it starts gradually and increases in severity, then eventually fades
away and disappears within 10 miles.
- it happens only occasionally, seemingly randomly, and when it does
happen it happens at all speeds, not just a certain speed
- it appears to come from the front of the vehicle.
- you can feel it in the steering wheel AND the brake pedal
- it does not happen on local roads or at local roads speed
- when the vibration starts, you must bring the car to a complete stop
to get rid of it. If you only slow down, to local road speeds
(30-40mph) and then speed up again, it will still be present. The car
must come to a complete stop in order to proceed without a vibration
- it happens in the cold and warmish weather (here in boston is in the
40s and 50s now. it happens in 30s, 40s or 50s)
- i put in brand new front rotors and this did not cure it.

Please help. Email me with any advice that you can. Thanks!

-Jon
Old April 8th 08, 07:02 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos,rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.tech
HLS

Default 93 Toyota Corolla vibration problem!

> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a 1993 Toyota Corolla with 265k miles on it. There is a
> vibration that has the following symptoms:
> - it only occurs on the highway
> - it starts gradually and increases in severity, then eventually fades
> away and disappears within 10 miles.
> - it happens only occasionally, seemingly randomly, and when it does
> happen it happens at all speeds, not just a certain speed
> - it appears to come from the front of the vehicle.
> - you can feel it in the steering wheel AND the brake pedal
> - it does not happen on local roads or at local roads speed
> - when the vibration starts, you must bring the car to a complete stop
> to get rid of it. If you only slow down, to local road speeds
> (30-40mph) and then speed up again, it will still be present. The car
> must come to a complete stop in order to proceed without a vibration
> - it happens in the cold and warmish weather (here in boston is in the
> 40s and 50s now. it happens in 30s, 40s or 50s)
> - i put in brand new front rotors and this did not cure it.
>
> Please help. Email me with any advice that you can. Thanks!
>
> -Jon

Have you checked for worn joints, parts, etc in the front
suspension?..Include
CV or halfshaft joints in that. I would do this first and thoroughly as
this is
one of the symptoms of worn front end parts, you need to eliminate things
systematically and not throw parts at it, and last because it can kill you
if
you break a key front suspension part.

Old April 9th 08, 04:34 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos,rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 18:02:16 +0000, HLS wrote:

> > wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a 1993 Toyota Corolla with 265k miles on it. There is a
>> vibration that has the following symptoms: - it only occurs on the
>> highway
>> - it starts gradually and increases in severity, then eventually fades
>> away and disappears within 10 miles.
>> - it happens only occasionally, seemingly randomly, and when it does
>> happen it happens at all speeds, not just a certain speed - it appears
>> to come from the front of the vehicle. - you can feel it in the steering
>> wheel AND the brake pedal - it does not happen on local roads or at
>> local roads speed - when the vibration starts, you must bring the car to
>> a complete stop to get rid of it. If you only slow down, to local road
>> speeds (30-40mph) and then speed up again, it will still be present.
>> The car must come to a complete stop in order to proceed without a
>> vibration - it happens in the cold and warmish weather (here in boston
>> is in the 40s and 50s now. it happens in 30s, 40s or 50s) - i put in
>> brand new front rotors and this did not cure it.
>>
>> Please help. Email me with any advice that you can. Thanks!
>>
>> -Jon

> Have you checked for worn joints, parts, etc in the front
> suspension?..Include
> CV or halfshaft joints in that. I would do this first and thoroughly as
> this is
> one of the symptoms of worn front end parts, you need to eliminate things
> systematically and not throw parts at it, and last because it can kill you
> if
> you break a key front suspension part.

Ya, dot too....

Also, tires (a broken belt or a missing wheel weight), bearings, calipers,
etc.

Anything attached to the suspension that is worn can cause a vibration,
esp at this mileage. Take it to a good tire/suspension shop and have it
checked!

Old April 9th 08, 07:52 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos,rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.tech
Ralph[_6_]

I have a 1993 Corolla (1.8 liter LE 4-door auto 251,000 mi.)
In the last 3 years I have replaced the:
-lower ball joints
-shock struts and
-front wheel bearings.

For your safety, inspect everything.

On this group there are experts who may be able to diagnose the condition
now causing vibration based on the described symptoms.

Good luck!

- Jack

Old April 9th 08, 03:25 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos,rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.tech
zzyzzx

Are the axles the originals? I bet they are real loose.
Old April 9th 08, 08:37 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos,rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.tech
Jeff Strickland

ZZYZX RD., is an exit from I-15 about 40 miles south of Las Vegas ...

Just thought I'd share ...

Old April 12th 08, 01:58 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos,rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

Ok,

Here is what I've been told. My mechanic says that it is the new
tires I bought a little less than 5000 miles ago. He says that the
tires are stretching when they warm up and there is a defect in the
tire. The tire place claims that the wheels have hops in them. They
showed me a slight wobble in my wheels. They are 14" steel, so i
doubt this is the issue. also, the wobble was so slight that it could
not possibly cause this violent of a vibration. Thridly, the
vibration is not constant, but intermittent.

So, does the tire defect seem logical to everyone? They are Yokohama
Avid TRZ 185-65R14.

Thanks for all your help thus far! You guys are great.

-jon
Old April 12th 08, 02:51 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos,rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.tech
Ray O

> wrote in message
> Ok,
>
> Here is what I've been told. My mechanic says that it is the new
> tires I bought a little less than 5000 miles ago. He says that the
> tires are stretching when they warm up and there is a defect in the
> tire. The tire place claims that the wheels have hops in them. They
> showed me a slight wobble in my wheels. They are 14" steel, so i
> doubt this is the issue. also, the wobble was so slight that it could
> not possibly cause this violent of a vibration. Thridly, the
> vibration is not constant, but intermittent.
>
> So, does the tire defect seem logical to everyone? They are Yokohama
> Avid TRZ 185-65R14.
>
> Thanks for all your help thus far! You guys are great.
>
> -jon

A bad tire or tires is plausible, as are a damaged wheel. A wobble, dent,
or deformation in the wheel that is visible will almost definitely cause a
vibration, although the vibration is more likely to be consistent and not
intermittent.

Another possibility is that there is rust on the wheel to hub mating surface
and the wheel is not as securely mounted as it appears to be. The fix is to
remove the wheel, clean up the hub and wheel where they contact, apply a
very light coating of anti-seize, and re-install the wheels.

Have the shop or your mechanic measure wheel and tire lateral and radial
runout to determine which of these is the cause of the vibration.
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)

Old April 12th 08, 04:53 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos,rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.tech
EdV

On Apr 9, 3:37 pm, "Jeff Strickland" > wrote:
> ZZYZX RD., is an exit from I-15 about 40 miles south of Las Vegas ...
>
> Just thought I'd share ...

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...3 &iwloc=addr

Can I use that in Scrabble?

2009 Toyota Corolla nico BMW 6 November 14th 07 08:53 PM
60K servicing for Toyota Corolla Ajay Joshi Technology 5 April 6th 06 12:07 PM
toyota corolla [email protected] Technology 0 March 6th 06 02:18 PM
Seeking Mechanics Advise: 1986 Toyota Corolla Problem [email protected] Technology 9 November 18th 05 06:04 PM
1986 carbureted Toyota Corolla start problem Snookums Technology 4 October 8th 05 05:17 PM