Mod Chip any experience?

Old November 2nd 04, 12:14 PM
Steve

Default Mod Chip any experience?

Out of curiosity I ordered one of these "mod chips" (claims of increased bhp
and better mpg) for my 2001 320Ci. It appears to me just to be a resistor
which is to be fitted to the Inlet Air Temperature Sensor or Engine Coolant
Temperature Sensor. Can anyone tell me where the sensor can be located? Has
anyone had any experience with this "mod"?

TIA
Steve

Old November 2nd 04, 03:41 PM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
Steve > wrote:
> Out of curiosity I ordered one of these "mod chips" (claims of increased
> bhp and better mpg) for my 2001 320Ci. It appears to me just to be a
> resistor which is to be fitted to the Inlet Air Temperature Sensor or
> Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor. Can anyone tell me where the sensor
> can be located? Has anyone had any experience with this "mod"?

Yup. You've been conned. All these resistors attempt to do is increase the
fuelling throughout the range. And since you have a cat, the lambda
sensors will attempt to reduce it right back to where it should be.

Of course, if it attempts to fool the engine into thinking it's still cold
and pour even more fuel into the engine, you might well say goodbye to
your cat.

--
*He who laughs last, thinks slowest.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old November 2nd 04, 06:18 PM
tech27

"Steve" > wrote in message
> Out of curiosity I ordered one of these "mod chips" (claims of increased
> bhp and better mpg) for my 2001 320Ci. It appears to me just to be a
> resistor which is to be fitted to the Inlet Air Temperature Sensor or
> Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor. Can anyone tell me where the sensor can
> be located? Has anyone had any experience with this "mod"?
>
> TIA
> Steve

Sounds very suspect. How can one possible increase horsepower AND better
mileage? And this "mod" sounds very strange. All proper mods perform some
remapping of the OBC, not just a resistor thing on the components you
mentioned. I would try to return what you bought and look into a real chip
from Dinan or Powerchip.

Good luck.

---

Old November 2nd 04, 06:51 PM
Dick Schneiders

>Sounds very suspect. How can one possible increase horsepower AND better
>mileage?

Better tuned engine? Better use of the available capabilities of the engine
than the stock chip?

I doubt that any chip will improve a recent model bimmer all that dramatically,
but for my E34, the E.A.T. chip certainly did both. My 1991 525i (M50 engine)
had a noticeable improvement in low end acceleration. My wife noticed a
difference the first time she drove it and she had no clue that I had changed
the chip. She is usually oblivious to this sort of stuff, but after she
returned from running some errands she asked me if I had the engine tuned up
because it had more "spunk". The chip also smoothed out a somewhat erratic
idle. The most surprising result, though, was a slight increase in the gas
mileage. My highway mpg went up almost 2 mpg. I didn't notice any increase in
my city driving, but I tended to drive the car a bit more aggressively after
installing the chip.

The small block E34 6's were tuned a bit conservatively out of the factory with
the stock chip, and the E.A.T. chip is programmed to take advantage of that.
Other chips, like Comforti and Dinan, are supposed to do the same but most
reports of them say that the only real improvement is in the upper rpm range
which really doesn't make all that much difference.

If I was the only person reporting such results, I would agree that I am too
easily misled. However, just about everybody that installs one of these E.A.T.
chips reports the same results. Check out the archives of the various BMW
forums.

Also, the 1991 525i M50 engine already requires 91 octane fuel, so there was no
need for me to increase the octane level of the fuel I was already using.

http://www.dsylva-tech.ca/ is the web site for the Enhanced Automative
Technology chip.

No affiliation other than a very satisfied customer.

Dick Schneiders
Old November 3rd 04, 03:05 AM
tech27

"Dick Schneiders" > wrote in message
> >Sounds very suspect. How can one possible increase horsepower AND better
>>mileage?

> Better tuned engine? Better use of the available capabilities of the
> engine
> than the stock chip?>

No. You cannot get more out without putting more in. Better tuning or
improving the efficiency of conversion may get you more horsepower for the
same input, but not at a with a reduction in fuel used, certainly not by a
chip. A real simple example - taking the parking brake off will save gas and
you can travel at 30 mph, but it will never be better than going 30 without
the brake on.

---

Old November 3rd 04, 03:51 AM
Dick Schneiders

>No. You cannot get more out without putting more in. Better tuning or
>improving the efficiency of conversion may get you more horsepower for the
>same input, but not at a with a reduction in fuel used, certainly not by a
>chip.

You are wrong. It happened with my car and it has happened with a lot of
others. If you don't take your head out of the sand you will never know more
than what you already think you know.

Certainly, if you can get more hp with the same input by improving the timing,
etc. of the engine, you can also get more with less input, if the potential
improvement is enough.
Old November 3rd 04, 06:43 PM
tech27

"Dick Schneiders" > wrote in message
> >No. You cannot get more out without putting more in. Better tuning or
>>improving the efficiency of conversion may get you more horsepower for the
>>same input, but not at a with a reduction in fuel used, certainly not by a
>>chip.

> You are wrong. It happened with my car and it has happened with a lot of
> others. If you don't take your head out of the sand you will never know
> more
> than what you already think you know.
>
> Certainly, if you can get more hp with the same input by improving the
> timing,
> etc. of the engine, you can also get more with less input, if the
> potential
> improvement is enough.

Sorry, I didn't explain it clearly enough, and it is a fine point of energy
dynamics to grasp. You CAN get more output with a chip, and you CAN improve
mileage, but not at the same time. Let's assume that all external factors
(besides the chip), are optimized, i.e.-the engine is operating at maximum
efficiency.
In this case, you can get more horsepower for the SAME energy input, and you
could get better mileage for the SAME output as BEFORE. But (and again
EXCLUDING other factors in the equation), you CANNOT get better mileage AND
more horsepower AT THE SAME TIME.

I understand that there are many many factors which influence mileage, but
the physics of it are very clear on this. You cannot get more energy out
than the maximum energy in. Once the car is optimized this just doesn't
happen. Energy out = energy in -less any inefficiency in conversion. Simply
put, if the car is using gas at X rate, all other things being equal, and
given that the efficiency remains constant, you cannot get more energy out.
You also have to keep in mind that things like gearing make a huge
difference in consumption, but not power. In this example, the gearing will
allow you to get better mileage (for example) going 60 MPH in 5th as opposed
to 4th.

Subtle differences, and certainly nothing to get rude about.

---

Old November 4th 04, 07:36 PM
KoKaineBoy

Tech 27 said : >You CAN get more output with a chip, and you CAN improve
>mileage, but not at the same time.

But if a chip re-maps your air-fuel mixture to run a bit more lean then the
often conservatively rich factory setting. Then wouldn't the engine be using
a) less gas at any given rpm, and b) since the mixture is leaner - produce more
horsepower.

I am pretty sure that is what chips do. Now granted if you are thrashing the
car all the time it will use more gas, but under normal driving a chipped car
could theoretically use less gas since it is running leaner than stock.

Old November 4th 04, 07:53 PM
Fred W.

"KoKaineBoy" > wrote in message
> Tech 27 said : >You CAN get more output with a chip, and you CAN
> improve
>>mileage, but not at the same time.

> But if a chip re-maps your air-fuel mixture to run a bit more lean then
> the
> often conservatively rich factory setting. Then wouldn't the engine be
> using
> a) less gas at any given rpm, and b) since the mixture is leaner - produce
> more
> horsepower.

Bad assumption. Factory settings are usually too lean for emissions
reasons.
More power can be had by fattening the mixture up a tad at the expense of
emissions and economy. The biggest firmware mod gains are usually timing
curve changes (increased advance), not strictly mixture changes. That's one
reason that they all state the need for highest octane fuel, to combat
pre-ignition.

-Fred W

Old November 4th 04, 09:52 PM
tech27

"KoKaineBoy" > wrote in message
> Tech 27 said : >You CAN get more output with a chip, and you CAN
> improve
>>mileage, but not at the same time.

> But if a chip re-maps your air-fuel mixture to run a bit more lean then
> the
> often conservatively rich factory setting. Then wouldn't the engine be
> using
> a) less gas at any given rpm, and b) since the mixture is leaner - produce
> more
> horsepower.

It would seem logical that if it is running leaner it wouldn't produce as
much horsepower. Again, everything has to be taken in context, but basic
laws of physics still apply. Less fuel means less energy out.

---