Buying a 2007 Civic LX tips?

Old April 5th 07, 02:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
cosza

Default Buying a 2007 Civic LX tips?

Anybody got the extended warranty. Do you think it is a good idea. After all
we get a honda for the reliability. Also , to not incur any price penalty,
you have to buy it with in 30 days,
Thanks

Old April 5th 07, 02:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Brian Beuchaw

cosza > wrote:
> Anybody got the extended warranty. Do you think it is a good idea. After all
> we get a honda for the reliability. Also , to not incur any price penalty,
> you have to buy it with in 30 days,
> Thanks

Wife got it on her 2003 Civic EX, but it was pretty cheap (don't remember
the exact amount, though), so she went ahead and did it, but hasn't used
it in 50K miles (and it expires at 75K miles). General sentiment seems to
be that it's pretty much pure profit for Honda if you buy one because
their cars *are* so reliable (there are always exceptions, though).

brian
--
If you want to reply to this message by mail, you will
have to change the reply address to
Old April 5th 07, 05:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Joe LaVigne

Brian Beuchaw wrote:

> Patrick Danville > wrote:
>> I was lukewarm on the digital speedometer at first, too. But it has
>> really grown on me, due to the *placement". The Civic's dashboard is
>> very deep. The speedometer is mounted at the base of the windsheld,
>> i.e. far from the driver, so that it is almost like a heads-up-
>> display. You barely have to move your eyes from the road to see it.

> Test drove one last night and I agree - from the website pics, I had no
> idea it was that far towards the windshield (and has a nice overhang so it
> won't reflect on the windshield). It's much better than the ones I've
> seen in other cars...

Regardless of the overhang, there is a little bit of reflection off of the
windshield from all of the gauges, due to the extreme angle of the glass.
It isn't bad, though.

> Thanks to all for your responses, it does seem that it's the car I'll
> probably be getting.
>
> Hadn't specifically asked this, but wondering if there is anything weird
> about maintenance, the car itself, etc. that would be nice to know? I
> already know about the crush washer for the oil pan drain plug (wife has a
> 2003 Civic), but is there anything else along that line that I need to
> know? Noticed the wiper blades (and inserts) are completely non-standard,
> but turns out the inserts aren't too bad of a rip-off ($5.11 each, but I
> still hate it that you really can't go to Autozone and get a pair and have
> them work). I hate Honda horns (too wimpy), but this one wasn't too bad
> (better than my wife's, but worse than my Saturn)...

Maintenance is almost nothing. I have had my 06 Si for less than a year
(July 1), and have over 17k on it. I have changed the oil every time the
MM tells me to, and nothing else has been needed to be done.

My only recommendation: Use the dealer for any maintenance you will not be
doing yourself. I had a pretty bad experience with a local oil change
place that has a very good reputation, and will use nothing but the dealer
from now on.

Old April 5th 07, 05:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Joe LaVigne

cosza wrote:

> Anybody got the extended warranty. Do you think it is a good idea. After
> all we get a honda for the reliability. Also , to not incur any price
> penalty, you have to buy it with in 30 days,
> Thanks

I don't see it mentioned often, but I use Geico for auto insurance. On new
cars, they offer an extended warranty program for 7 years/100k. It has a
$250 deductible, but the cost of the warranty is very cheap, and covers
everything the manufacturers warranty does. It is obviously only used for
major repairs, but those are the ones you need the warranty for, anyhow.

If you do decide to get the HondaCare warranty, search the web. You can buy
it from a couple of Honda dealers on the internet for far cheaper than your
local will charge.

Old April 5th 07, 05:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Art[_1_]

One reason to buy an extended warranty is for resale value. I bought a 8
year 120k mile Hondacare with zero deductible for about $1200 each on a
Accord Hybrid and Odyssey and it should make selling the cars a breeze when
I'm ready.

Old April 5th 07, 06:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
BlackGT2000[_28_]

I did get the extended warrenty, so far I haven't needed any work done
though, its just peace of mind for me. As for the wipers, I have seen
them in auto parts stores already, they aren't the standard yet, but
this is not the only new car that is using them. As for the horn,
there is a fix for the wimpy horn as well that can be done at the
dealer. I haven't personally done it but there are plenty who have.
The dealer can install a Odyssey horn for a really cheap price and you
will have a much fuller sound. I Have heard that its only about 40
bucks in parts and only about an hour labor, that is if its that
important to you.

Old April 5th 07, 07:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Brian Beuchaw

Joe LaVigne > wrote:

> Regardless of the overhang, there is a little bit of reflection off of the
> windshield from all of the gauges, due to the extreme angle of the glass.
> It isn't bad, though.

OK, I did read about that and some folks said that lowering the brightness
a bit at night on the panel helped. I drove it during the day, so didn't
notice. I figure it won't be a big deal...

> Maintenance is almost nothing. I have had my 06 Si for less than a year
> (July 1), and have over 17k on it. I have changed the oil every time the
> MM tells me to, and nothing else has been needed to be done.

Yeah, that's something I'll have to get used to (the maintenance minder),
but it sounds cool.

> My only recommendation: Use the dealer for any maintenance you will not be
> doing yourself. I had a pretty bad experience with a local oil change
> place that has a very good reputation, and will use nothing but the dealer
> from now on.

I used to do maint on my CJ7, but not on my Saturn, so I expect I'll do it
all at the dealer (and since oil changes are about the same price as at
Jiffy Lube, et al, and they use the right washer, *and* wash your car, I'm
going to go that route). After warranty expires, though, maybe not *all*
at the dealer. :-)

Thanks again, and I just got off the phone with the salesguy (who gave me
a decent deal) and will probably pick it up tonight, assuming they don't
screw around with anything we agreed on by phone (yeah, right :-)).

brian
Old April 5th 07, 07:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Brian Beuchaw

BlackGT2000 > wrote:

> I did get the extended warrenty, so far I haven't needed any work done
> though, its just peace of mind for me. As for the wipers, I have seen
> them in auto parts stores already, they aren't the standard yet, but
> this is not the only new car that is using them.

I figure they'll be in parts stores eventually, but if the inserts are
only $5/ea, that's not *too* bad...

> As for the horn,
> there is a fix for the wimpy horn as well that can be done at the
> dealer. I haven't personally done it but there are plenty who have.
> The dealer can install a Odyssey horn for a really cheap price and you
> will have a much fuller sound. I Have heard that its only about 40
> bucks in parts and only about an hour labor, that is if its that
> important to you.

The horn sounded a bit better than my wife's 2003 Civic, so it might
suffice. Hers is *totally* wimpy, but this one was just *sorta* wimpy.
:-) I'll see how it goes (people pay attention to my Saturn horn, but not
to my wife's Civic horn) and decide later - thanks for the tip!

brian
Old April 5th 07, 08:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Joe LaVigne

Brian Beuchaw wrote:

> I used to do maint on my CJ7, but not on my Saturn, so I expect I'll do it
> all at the dealer (and since oil changes are about the same price as at
> Jiffy Lube, et al, and they use the right washer, *and* wash your car, I'm
> going to go that route). After warranty expires, though, maybe not *all*
> at the dealer. :-)

I live in Buffalo, so doing my own maintenance is only viable for about 1
oil change per year, since I don't have a usable garage. I used to do it
all when I was young, but there is no way in hell I am climbing under a car
through snow and slush when it is 10 degrees F outside, when I can pay
someone $30 to do it for me... ;-)

But my dealer doesn't wash the car. *******s. ;-)

> Thanks again, and I just got off the phone with the salesguy (who gave me
> a decent deal) and will probably pick it up tonight, assuming they don't
> screw around with anything we agreed on by phone (yeah, right :-)).

Congrats, in advance, on your new toy. The civic is a nice automobile.

Old April 5th 07, 08:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Joe LaVigne

Art wrote:

> One reason to buy an extended warranty is for resale value. I bought a 8
> year 120k mile Hondacare with zero deductible for about $1200 each on a
> Accord Hybrid and Odyssey and it should make selling the cars a breeze
> when I'm ready.

When I sell the car, at 5 or 6 years, it will likely have over that in
mileage anyhow. So it wouldn't help me a bit, and Honda resale values are
better than just about anyone else, anyhow.

It is a gamble, IMO. If you have something major go wrong under the
extended warranty, you win. If you never use it, it is a waste of cash. I
have full confidence in Honda's quality and reliability, so I stuck with
the inexpensive option for insurance.