Tires

Old July 30th 05, 09:37 PM
Buhda

Default Tires

I have a 77 L-82 that currently has Triumph 235/60/15's on the rear( these
were the tires that were on it when I bought it). It's time to replace them
and I know next to nothing about tires. Are Firestone Firehawk 500 tires
any good? What other tires look good on 77 vettes????

Thanks

Alok

Old July 31st 05, 05:49 AM
Tom in Missouri

B. F. Goodrich T/As come in a 235/60-15 and were a performance tire once.
They are about as good as anything out there in the 15 inch size and better
than most.

Of course, there are also Goodyear Eagle GT II which are a fair match to
what came on the car originally, unless you were unlucky enough to have the
'70s exploding Firestone 500s. The Firestones in the '70s were a great tire
as long as you kept them below 120 and kept below 75 on sustained driving.
Most cars of the time had no problem doing that, but the Corvette was still
capable of 120 mph even with the lower horses and lower gearing to increase
perky response out of the lower horses.

The Firestone Firehawk have been in several race series and seem to have
passed the test. But since they are owned by Bridgestone, I prefer to go to
a Bridgestone tire rather than Firestone.