Help: Recharging AC on 96 G Voyager SE

Old May 30th 05, 01:26 AM
The White Family

Default Help: Recharging AC on 96 G Voyager SE

Hello all,

I read in the Haynes manual when I recharge the AC system with very low
Freon I have to short a switch/sensor for which turns on the compressor
but it does not tell in detail where this is located.
Can somebody who has had to this on my model or similar model point me in
detail or even better send me a pic of that switch/sensor in the engine
compartment.

Thanks,

Greg

Old May 30th 05, 07:45 AM
Ted Mittelstaedt

"The White Family" > wrote in message
.. .
> Hello all,
>
> I read in the Haynes manual when I recharge the AC system with very low
> Freon I have to short a switch/sensor for which turns on the compressor
> but it does not tell in detail where this is located.

Don't do this! A better way is to get a bowl of hot water, not boiling,
just as hot out
of the tap as you can make it, and immerse the freon can in it. The heat
from the bowl
will supply the heat needed by the can for it's contents to vaporize and go
into the A/C
system. Once you have a can or two in there then the A/C compressor will
start cycling.

Ted

Old May 30th 05, 12:13 PM
jdoe

Do not put Freon in it either. It takes R134.
LArry

Old May 30th 05, 01:06 PM
mic canic

the best way is have the car tested for a leak which you have and i would bet
it's at the evap. coil
remember r134 is still freon and is escaping into the air
and the sealers you see in the recharge kits react with air so when it reacts
with the air in your plumbing guess what gets plugged up too

Old June 2nd 05, 05:33 AM
gary

R134 is Freon? I thought Freon was banned in auto AC use?

Old June 2nd 05, 09:35 AM
Ted Mittelstaedt

"gary" > wrote in message
> R134 is Freon? I thought Freon was banned in auto AC use?

Freon is becoming a generic word meaning A/C refrigerant much like kleenex
has become a
generic word meaning tissue - of course the manufacturers of both are
fighting it...

Ted

Old June 2nd 05, 08:39 PM
Steve

gary wrote:

> R134 is Freon? I thought Freon was banned in auto AC use?

R-12 isn't even "Freon." "Freon" was DuPont's trademarked name for their
line of refrigerants.

But in common parlance, any refrigerant is "freon" just like any facial
tissue is a "kleenex" and any adhesive bandage is a "band-aid." Deal
with it.