Car for Aliens

Old March 2nd 04, 08:21 PM
Arthur Dent

What does being a German citizen have to do with it? I couldn't use my
insurance on a rental either. The owner, i.e.: the rental agency registers
and insures the car. It is not necessary to take the *optional* insurance
that the rental agency may offer you. This is a little extra money-maker for
them. The last time I checked, it was about $8 a day, I think. For a month,
that would cost you an extra $240.00...still not outrageous if you wanted
the extra peace of mind...and probably *less* than the amount you would pay
for liability coverage on a car you purchased yourself.

Whatever. If you want to do it the hard way, that's your business. I'm
certainly not going to get anything out of convincing you to rent a car,
just showing you some options that will let you do things easier for less
money. You have the info now, you can use it or not, as you like.

om...

Old March 3rd 04, 07:45 AM
tom

"Arthur Dent" > wrote in message >. ..
> What does being a German citizen have to do with it? I couldn't use my
> insurance on a rental either. The owner, i.e.: the rental agency registers
> and insures the car. It is not necessary to take the *optional* insurance
> that the rental agency may offer you.

I think you are very wrong here! The Rental company has no insurance
on damage or theft done to the car! If you don't have that insurance
(CDW/LDW) and somebody steals the car you have to buy a new car for
the rental company!

Could somebody verify that information?

Thomas
Old March 3rd 04, 01:32 PM
Arthur Dent

Tom, your information is incorrect. The optional insurance covers the
*deductible* on the rental agency's policy, for which you *could* be held
responsible in the event that Something Bad happened. But you would *not* be
responsible for the entire replacement cost of the vehicle. The agency, as
the registrant, is responsible for their own insurance coverage. Can you
imagine the lawsuits that could arise if the rental agency had no insurance?

As to your doubts about my info, not only have I rented a few cars, but a
close relative is a high-level executive for one of the national agencies
and another worked at a local branch of that same agency.

Old March 4th 04, 09:07 AM
tom

> think Al Bundy patterned his life after you. Are you buying
> Dodges?

LOL, What an honor to be compared to Al Bundy (who is my hero!)
No, I never had a Dodge. I bought a Chevy Caprice, Lincoln
Continental, Ford Crown Victoria and a Pontiac Parisenne.
Buying and Selling is a lot of action and trouble, but call me crazy,
it's part of my vacation. And yes, every car had defects, but going to
an american repair shop and changing tires on the highway gave me
unforgettable memories of my trips.
I don't come to the states to lie in the sun, but to be part of
everyday life!

Oh, btw, could somebody please get back to my original questions and
give me some answers?
Thomas
Old March 4th 04, 09:12 AM
tom

> Tom, your information is incorrect. The optional insurance covers the
> *deductible* on the rental agency's policy, for which you *could* be held
> responsible in the event that Something Bad happened. But you would *not* be
> responsible for the entire replacement cost of the vehicle. The agency, as
> the registrant, is responsible for their own insurance coverage. Can you
> imagine the lawsuits that could arise if the rental agency had no insurance?

This is very intersting information. I've traveled to the USA 16 times
and rented about 20 diffent cars from different companies, but
everybody said, that without buying insurance you have a problem. From
what you say, it means that if I don't buy the insurance and somebody
for instance steals the car, I only have to pay a couple of hundred
dollar and not the total price?
This is the exact opposite of everything I read so far.
Is there a information on the web that supports your statement (sorry,
no mistrust, but that's kind of important)
Thomas
Old March 4th 04, 09:28 AM
tom

how about this website:
http://info.insure.com/auto/carrental.html
it seems that you are right, the rental company has insurance, but
with a liability of $10000 for property damage, thats a joke, if I
total the rental car plus the car I hit, that sums up to at least
$20000, so I would have to pay $10000 out of my own pocket! that's way
to risky!
Thomas
Old March 4th 04, 12:04 PM
Arthur Dent

Tom, the "insurance" that the rental agency tries to sell you is an extra
profit center for them. But, the deductible could be more than a couple
hundred bucks- might be as much as $1500.

om...

Old March 4th 04, 01:13 PM
Arthur Dent

Some new information: laws vary from state to state. In Florida for
instance, state law allows the rental agency to demand compensation
immediately (and even prevent you from leaving the state until it is paid)
should you decline the optional insurance and Something Bad happens, even if
you have other coverage which would be applicable.

I'm not trying to encourage you not to purchase the optional insurance
coverage, I have bought it sometimes while renting a car. The point is that
even *with* the coverage, your costs can still be comparable to your cost of
buying, insuring, repairing a car yourself, with a lot less hassle. But hey,
if you enjoy the "adventure", then by all means have at it.

om...