E30 M3 ECU

Old September 3rd 06, 02:50 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
jr2766

Default E30 M3 ECU

Hi Folks I'm new to this site.
I'm looking for two pieces of information.
Firstly I have an '87 E30 M3 car and after charging the battery I
suspect I may have damaged the ECU as the car wont start and I just get
an occasional backfire.
Can someone please tell me how I can verify that the ECU is either
serviceable or unserviceable.
The second car os an E34 manual 4 litre car with electronically
controlled dampers (hard or very hard settings controled from the
dashboard) which are in need of repalcement. Can anyone advise part
numbers or OE supplier of these items because the BMW dealer price is
very steep.
Cheers
jr2766

Old September 3rd 06, 04:13 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Lez Pawl

"jr2766" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hi Folks I'm new to this site.
> I'm looking for two pieces of information.
> Firstly I have an '87 E30 M3 car and after charging the battery I
> suspect I may have damaged the ECU as the car wont start and I just get
> an occasional backfire.
> Can someone please tell me how I can verify that the ECU is either
> serviceable or unserviceable.
> The second car os an E34 manual 4 litre car with electronically
> controlled dampers (hard or very hard settings controled from the
> dashboard) which are in need of repalcement. Can anyone advise part
> numbers or OE supplier of these items because the BMW dealer price is
> very steep.
> Cheers
> jr2766

http://www.the-ecu-doctor.co.uk/

or if you are elsewhere Google for a similar shop........

Old September 6th 06, 06:34 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
syl.

I'll be surprise that you fried the ecu if you did not turn the ignition key
"on" while charging (overvoltage charge ???) the battery.
Check all the fuses particularely fuses that are hot at all time 21&27 (on
board computer) and fuse 10 ,the unloader relay K7 and K5 in the fuse box
compartment if the key has been turn to crank/run position while charging.
Check also the main and fuel pump relay (located in the engine bay, RH side
of bulkhead behind cover. 3 relays are there, from left to right the first
one is for the fuel evaporation purge valve, the second is the main relay
and the third is the O2 sensor and fuel pumps relay) The main relay (12v
coil side) pin 85 is feeded by the onboard computer and code relay, when
activated it feed (via pin 87) the ecu pin 18 and pin 35 with
12 V. The ecu, in return, ground his pin 20 who activate the fuel pump /O2
sensor relay (via neg. side of the coil) given power (from the main relay)
to those unit. So if battery voltage does not reach the main relay pin 85
that means that the fuse 21 and/or 27 is/are blowned or that your obc is
fu... up. If battery power goes to ecu at pin 18 & 35 but you don't have a
ground signal at pin 20 while the ignition key is on crank/run position,
then you have a problem with your ecu. I will also chek the ignition coil.
Further more assuming that all those things are ok, I'll check the crank
position sensor and the engine position sensor before spending
$$$$$ for a ecu.
N.B. location of relays assume a LH drive M3, must be the opposite for RH
drive,
but I'm 99% shure they are on the bulkhead behind a cover.

Good Luck

Sylvain